NRE account in India and OCI/Visa

One point to remember is that when selecting the type of account in the ATM keypad, select Current account (this is what corresponds to a US checking account) and NOT Savings account.

nkm-oct23: That's interesting. Just curious, if we hold only a Savings account in the US, and select 'Savings account' on the Indian ATM keypad, does it say something like 'Account not found'? I hope it will give a warning and expect us to correct it and not do anything funky!

kcpant and Rama Bashyam:

Thank you. I looked around the web a bit and see that...

money2india is the same as ICICI bank
---------------------------correct
remit2india is timesofmoney.com
--------------------------------correct
Also, it seems like as far as exchange rates are concerned, there is not much that we can do... we are at the mercy of the bank and also the date on which the currency conversion actually happens.
----------------------------correct
money2india and remit2india seem to offer better/best exchange conversion rates compared with other banks.
-----------------------------correct
Does the above sound accurate in your experience(s)?

--------------

Thank you to everyone who replied! The information is very useful.

There are a lot of options avaialble. The ones mentioned by you guys/gals seem to be pretty good.

FYI, I called Citibank and found that if you have Citibank accounts both in US and in India, you can instantly (yes, immediately) transfer money via US ATM (but not from 7-11 ATMs) from your US account to your Indian account.

Thank you to everyone who replied! The information is very useful.

There are a lot of options avaialble. The ones mentioned by you guys/gals seem to be pretty good.

FYI, I called Citibank and found that if you have Citibank accounts both in US and in India, you can instantly (yes, immediately) transfer money via US ATM (but not from 7-11 ATMs) from your US account to your Indian account.

Yes.I have used it many times and it is instantaneous. Earlier they even allowed to transfer online from US Citibank to Citibank NRI account. But due to security reasons, it is now only from US citibank ATMs. This is a extremely useful option when you need to send money instantly to India in case of emergencies.

Money sending options

kcpant and Rama Bashyam:

Thank you. I looked around the web a bit and see that...

money2india is the same as ICICI bank

remit2india is timesofmoney.com

Also, it seems like as far as exchange rates are concerned, there is not much that we can do... we are at the mercy of the bank and also the date on which the currency conversion actually happens.

money2india and remit2india seem to offer better/best exchange conversion rates compared with other banks.

Does the above sound accurate in your experience(s)?

Yes, you are correct (My experience is limited to remit2india).