Now that visa number is unavailable until

andresenpark

Registered Users (C)
next FY I am thinking of applying for my H1B visa instead. I am a Canadian citizen and my H1B status was approved last October. I plan to go overseas next February. Anyone knows if I can apply for my H1B visa at the port of entry, specifically Blaine, Washington and how long would it take?

My 140 was approved on 6/1/2005 at NSC and I thought of waiting for 485 approval before EOY but it's unlikely now. PD is Feb 2002.

Thanks.

andresenpark said:
I am a Canadian citizen and my H1B status was approved last October. I plan to go overseas next February. Anyone knows if I can apply for my H1B visa at the port of entry, specifically Blaine, Washington and how long would it take?

If your H-1B petition was approved you do not require a visa. You just show your approval notice when you enter the US and away you go.

My 140 was approved on 6/1/2005 at NSC and I thought of waiting for 485 approval before EOY but it's unlikely now. PD is Feb 2002.

It might get approved by the end of the month. Are you Canadian-born? It might get approved early in the next fiscal year.

Question on PR

Dear RealCanadian or others,

Here is something I would like to know from your knowledge. I have Canadian PR Card, living in USA, going through the lengthy GC process, I-140 got approved, I-485 pending. I am planning to go to Canada next month for two weeks and then will travel to India and then after 3 weeks will be back to USA. While I fly from Canada to India, is it necessary to have a transit visa for European countries (like the way it is required in USA), I heard if someone has Candian PR then the transit Visa requirement does not apply to that person, I will not get out of the the Airport during the transit transfer.

Your thoughts would be aprrreciated.

Regards

Taslim

taslim ahmed said:
I heard if someone has Candian PR then the transit Visa requirement does not apply to that person, I will not get out of the the Airport during the transit transfer.

Since I have never been a Canadian permament resident I do not know the answer to that question. Your best bet is to call the consulate and ask.

Thanks TheRealCanadian for your input. My H1B petition was approved last year while I was working in the US. Prior to that I was on TN visa. I understand no visa is required for travel between Canada and the US. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think a visa is required for travelling between the US and a third country such as Malaysia (my birth place), which I plan to visit next year.

I suppose I can wait till FY2006 and HOPE my 485 gets approved but that may cut it too close to my travel plan. It's a quandary!

andresenpark said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think a visa is required for travelling between the US and a third country such as Malaysia (my birth place), which I plan to visit next year.

You're wrong - consider yourself corrected. :)

The visa exemption is based upon citizenship, NOT where you are travelling to or from. A Canadian citizen does not require an H-1B visa, no matter what country he or she is entering from. A Czech citizen requires a visa, even if he is attempting to enter from Canada.

The passport exemption for Canadian citizens, on the other hand, does depend on where you are entering from.