Now a US Citizen - Question about India Visa

phx_user

Registered Users (C)
Hello,

I have recently got my US Citizenship through naturalization process and received the US Passport. I delayed applying for OCI. Now due to some unexpected situation, I would need to make a quick visit to India in the first week of August.

Unfortunately, this doesn’t give me enough time for me to apply for OCI (80 day turnaround time) or PIO (45 day turnaround time) and forcing me to apply for the Indian Tourist Visa first (and then later apply for OCI).

My question is, if I apply for the India Tourist Visa now (which is asking me to surrender my India Passport and sign the "relinquish India citizenship" form), will there be any issues later when I apply for the OCI or PIO?

Thanks in advance for the help.

I am in the exact same position I got my Citiizenship last month and US passport shortly after that. I was hoping to apply for either PIO or OCI - but need to visit India by end of June. Looks like they want you to surrender your Indian Passport - do they mail it back to you with a Cancelled stamp on it OR do they keep it ? Anyone else who has gone through this process please let us know. Thanks.

Phx, I think you should apply for oci or pio, whichever you were thinking o getting. Wait till close to your travel date and then apply for the visa if they have not completed the processing . If you are in the SF jurisdiction you may be able to get it faster, they are excellent and on time.

HiTech, they just stamp cancelled on Ind PP and return it to you. We just sent a cover letter stating the facts and never used any form etc.

I am not sure about the visa but for OCI, they asked for passport and returned it back after the cancelled stamp. I doubt they will keep the passport as that is a proof that you were Indian citizens once.

Thank you all. Given the short time-frame remaining, I am going to apply for the PIO. If no progress by 3rd week of July, I will apply for a visa. I was also told that they do cancel and return the Indian Passport.