Notice of Revocation of Release | Stateless Person

kuzia

I'm Stateless, Living in US
For last few years we had Order of Supervision - we thought its going stay like this. Last Friday we went to 26 Federal Plaza (in Manhattan, NY) as we usually do, once a year... This time things changed - they gave us THIS:

---------------------------------------
Notice of Revocation of Release

This letter is to inform you that your case been reviewed and it has been determined that your Order of Supervision (OSUP) is hereby revoked. This decision was based on a review of your file and the facts contained in your file. In addition, you do not have any appeals or applications pending that would preclude your removal from the United States. Furthermore, you have 90 days from the date of this letter to depart the United States on your own accord. If you fail to depart the United States within the specific time frame, you will be considered an ICE fugitive and warrant of arrest may be issued against you.

You are advised that you must demonstrate that you are making reasonable efforts to comply with the order of removal, and that you are cooperating with ace’s efforts to remove you by taking whatever actions ice requests to effect your removal. You are also advised that any willful failure to depart the United States or refusal on your part to make timely application in good faith for travel or other documents necessary for your departure, or any conspiracy or actions to prevent your removal, may subject you to criminal prosecution under 8 USC Section 1253(a).

I'm form Soviet Union. This country is no longer in existence. Officer on interview asked "when last we tryed to get passport" - answer in 2012 - Have Certified Letter from Russian Consulate stating that - we do not belong to Russia .. that makes person Stateless (no country).

Which part of the of FSU are you actually from, other than “not Russia”? Are you not eligible for a passport for whatever the current country in that region is?

No, I'm not eligible. Immigration court appointed to countries: Russia and Latvia (as last place of living was Riga - where from we left for USA in 1991). I have Certified Letters from both countries Russia and Latvia (dated 2012 - last time I communicated with those countries) - both - do not recognize us (husband/wife), or each person - we are not eligible for a passport or any status.
----
Now, I'm in the process - to get Letters up to date - sending request to Latvians tomorrow

You should technically be a citizen of the country you were born in. How did you get to the US in 1991.. a passport with a US visa in it?

You should technically be a citizen of the country you were born in. How did you get to the US in 1991.. a passport with a US visa in it?
Soviet Passport - has VISA entry... Passport of the Country USSR - doesn't exist!!
-----
I have Investigation Letter from UNHCR (United Nations High Commissioner for Refugee) - as result Determination - per both countries existing citizenship laws - I do not belong to them .. its called 'stateless' (person without country, or with no country) ...

Generally people from broken-up countries get a passport from the constituent part they were from. It seems odd to me you can’t get a Latvian one when I personally can actually get a Latvian passport based on ancestry even though I never set foot there yet. Anyway, please let us know what the outcome of the request to the Latvian embassy is. I know the laws changed at some stage, I think 2013, wondering if the last time you applied was before that happened?

Here is what happened with FSU. All people living in FSU have been required to be registered with local police department, this registration called "propiska" (for some countries, including Russia, Ukraine, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan this requirement is still in place). After split of USSR, citizenship got determined by propiska at the certain date, usually end of 1991 - beginning of 1992. For example, "magic date" for Russia was February 6, 1992, the day the first Citizenship Law of Russian Federation, which means that those who have had propiska in this part of FSU are considered citizens of Russia (let's say I'm one of them). Does not matter where you are born, you had to have propiska in Russia and be a citizen of Soviet Union, period.

There were two exceptions with this common rule, it's Latvia and Estonia. Those countries gave their citizenship only to those who had it before 1940 (merge with Soviet Union) and their descendants (that worked mostly for ethnic Latvians and Estonians, but not ethnic Russian who came after WW2). A lot of Russian speakers came to live there after WW2, so them and their descendants got claimed non-citizens with unconditional residence (pretty much the same as green card holders here, with an exception that they could not be deported). They could naturalise later on, with requirements stricter that for GC holders in the US. Such people carried so called Alien's Passport (Nepilsona Pase in Latvia, not sure about Estonia).

Here's what happened with the topic starter. In 1991, he was a citizen of Soviet Union with Latvian propiska. He or his ancestors haven't been citizens of Latvia before 1940, so he haven't got Latvian citizenship; same thing with Russia, he haven't got propiska in Russia on 2/6/1992 so he did not acquire it. There was a deadline (not sure how long) in Latvia to claim non-citizen (nepilsona) status, but it's too late now for sure.

Neither Latvia nor Russia do not have jus soli principle (like here in the US), no person born there is not automatically considered as a citizen.

Topic starter is in limbo, there is most likely no country that could accept him, I should hire a lawyer who known those details about FSU...

Here is what happened with FSU. All people living in FSU have been required to be registered with local police department, this registration called "propiska" (for some countries, including Russia, Ukraine, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan this requirement is still in place). After split of USSR, citizenship got determined by propiska at the certain date, usually end of 1991 - beginning of 1992. For example, "magic date" for Russia was February 6, 1992, the day the first Citizenship Law of Russian Federation, which means that those who have had propiska in this part of FSU are considered citizens of Russia (let's say I'm one of them). Does not matter where you are born, you had to have propiska in Russia and be a citizen of Soviet Union, period.

There were two exceptions with this common rule, it's Latvia and Estonia. Those countries gave their citizenship only to those who had it before 1940 (merge with Soviet Union) and their descendants (that worked mostly for ethnic Latvians and Estonians, but not ethnic Russian who came after WW2). A lot of Russian speakers came to live there after WW2, so them and their descendants got claimed non-citizens with unconditional residence (pretty much the same as green card holders here, with an exception that they could not be deported). They could naturalise later on, with requirements stricter that for GC holders in the US. Such people carried so called Alien's Passport (Nepilsona Pase in Latvia, not sure about Estonia).

Here's what happened with the topic starter. In 1991, he was a citizen of Soviet Union with Latvian propiska. He or his ancestors haven't been citizens of Latvia before 1940, so he haven't got Latvian citizenship; same thing with Russia, he haven't got propiska in Russia on 2/6/1992 so he did not acquire it. There was a deadline (not sure how long) in Latvia to claim non-citizen (nepilsona) status, but it's too late now for sure.

Neither Latvia nor Russia do not have jus soli principle (like here in the US), no person born there is not automatically considered as a citizen.

Topic starter is in limbo, there is most likely no country that could accept him, I should hire a lawyer who known those details about FSU...

Enlightening. Thank you!