Not Renewing EAD

kesab

Registered Users (C)
Hello Gurus,
I am continuing my H-1 (485 pending), and EAD is expiring this February, but have not used this EAD.

1. Can I choose not to renew my EAD now, because I will be continuing H-1?
2. In that case, can I still apply for EAD again down the road when I need it?
3. Will that be still considerd Renewing EAD?

thank you very much for your comments.

Suppose you lose your job... without an EAD already in hand it will be difficult to get another job quickly.

If you don't lose your job, you'll be able to afford having paid for the new EAD. If you do lose your job, you'll be glad you renewed the EAD. So just renew it and be done with it.

kesab said:
I am continuing my H-1 (485 pending), and EAD is expiring this February, but have not used this EAD.

1. Can I choose not to renew my EAD now, because I will be continuing H-1?
Yes
kesab said:
2. In that case, can I still apply for EAD again down the road when I need it?
Yes
kesab said:
3. Will that be still considerd Renewing EAD?
I'm not sure. In the application it doesn't ask if it's renewing or not. You just list all EAD's that you applied before.

thank you to both of you for your comments and reply...

Voldermarv....in the application actually, it does ask in the beginning...if it is for "Renewal" or just "Permission to accept employment".

Last edited by a moderator:
kesab said:
thank you to both of you for your comments and reply...

Voldermarv....in the application actually, it does ask in the beginning...if it is for "Renewal" or just "Permission to accept employment".
Yes, you are right. Quote from this form instructions:

"Renewal EAD: an EAD issued to an eligible applicant at or after the expiration of a previous EAD issued under the same category."

You are applying in the same category - so it's a renewal.