not related to i485

saab

Registered Users (C)
Did you guys know that you need a valid h1 visa stamp on the passport
to land in frankfurt or you need to transit visa ( german )
[ It might be valid to for travellers to india or other countries through frankfurt ]

No Title

Is this true ? I have been waiting to get answer for that. I am in same situation, I have EAD and AP but no valid h1, need to travel india thru germany.

Thanks,

hi

I have had a few journeys in the past

For people who use the airport as a means to change to another flight
generally you do not require to stamp your passport nor do you need a visa- This is because u are not leaving the airport premises.

For example - If you are travelling from Los Angeles to Bombay
You generally stop at Tokyo and Singapore.
You do not leave the terminal at Tokyo or Singapore and Your ticket and passport are checked by the airline and not by the customs and immigration officer.

But if you wish to stoppover at Singapore and enter the city you are asked for a valid visa etc etc.

So in case you have to just change flights at Frankfurt I do not think it is necessary that you have a Green card or a H1 stamp in your passport.

However You should confirm this with your travel agent or the airline carrier or you could call the German Embassy with your queries.

Of Course if you want to visit and enter Franfurt then the rules will definitely be different.

rsrgc ,

you are right about not requiring a transit visa if you dont leave the airport but if you want to fly thru frankfurt on lufthansa
you need a valid stamp on the passport or require a transit visa .
My friend was stopped from boarding a flight and was forced to take a german transit visa. he is also not planning on leaving the airport .
Also from last month air france requires transit visas for all passengers flying thru paris .
I hope this gets more audience for the deserving folks . this might not be the right forum for this . Also i am not sure if you have EAD or AP ...

No, saab, this may be the right forum for this...

discussion. I guess they are doing this post 9/11 so they can track everybody who transits their airports. So, even a GC holder like you or I would need a transit visa. I wonder if other European Union countries will follow suit. Thus far, as long as airports in Tokyo, Taipei, Seoul, Hongkong, Kuala Lumpur and Singapore don\'t implement this rule, I am fine. I rarely fly thru Europe. I do not know if many people going to Asia from the west coast would fly thru Europe. But it is something we need to keep an eye out for. Don\'t want to be caught on the wrong foot.

U could transit through Dubai

Dubai was a city that I lived in for 3 years

Dubai is a big hub in the middle east.

They would never implement this rule because it would be a big negative effect on their economy. They have so many flights moving in and out and they turn around an airplane within 50 -60 minutes.

It is silly that you have to do this in Frankfurt and Paris because u r not leaving the airport premises and are just changing planes.

I just spoke with Lufthansa Airlines...

We are flying to Bombay from Los Angeles in the end of April via Lufthansa. Our 485s were recently approved and we (spouse and I) have the I-551 stamps on our passports.

Based on this thread I just called Lufthansa airlines and at first the lady had no clue what stamp I was referring to, but after talking with her supervisor she said that if you have the I-551 stamp you do NOT need a transit visa to fly thru Germany. So I guess u do not need this visa if u have the actual GC or the I-551 stamp.

Dee, we just did some extensive analysis of flight times from LA to Bombay and believe it or not, Lufthansa takes the least amount of time (approx 18.5 air hours on the outbound as compared to well over 20 hours by some of the other pacific route airlines like Singapore, Cathay, etc. - I know it surprised me too, but I guess they fly over the pole rather than the equator so it makes sense). Though of course you would pay a premium of about 50 to a 100 bucks per ticket, maybe more depending on the airline, to fly via europe vis-a-vis via the pacific. So, if travel/air hours was a priority (which I guess it would be if you had a small kid with you), then flying via Europe would be the best way to go (from LA to Bombay)...

Anyhoo, thanks for starting this thread here - it really spooked me there for a second (oh no!! not another gawd dammned visa, puh..lease), but I guess all\'s well that ends well ;-).

Thanks guys!!!

Have u travelled by Singapore Airlines
a) The stopover is the minimum
b) If you stop at Singapore you can visit Mustapha the biggest and most reasonable one stop shopping shop - Rather than buying stuff from USA you could purchase all gifts etc from there - also you could see singapore and buy material (shirts/pant pieces and get them tailored to your fitting in India and get your exact fitting. Perfumes are original and reasonable and so are cosmetics.
c) Food - You could ask for Indian Vegetarian or Indian Non Vegetarian and you will get authentic Indian food
d) Each seat in economy is with a TV screen which has video games and shows 12 channels of video and 10 channels of audio
e) They keep feeding you and all in all it is a fantastic experience and they have a very high percentage of departures on time.
f) You could see the place and it is a very good tourist destination

If I had a choice of Singapore or any european airline I would choose Singapore airlines

My 2 cents

I agree abt SIA. It\'s good service. My kids (5 and 2yrs) enjoyed their flight.
Md. Mustafa & Sons is on Sarangoon Rd. Take a Cab from Airport. It might cost S$25 or so. Other alternative, take a Bus for S$5 (one-way), it will drop and pick-up near Sarangoon Rd. and you can walk up to this Shop.

One advantage of buying over in Singapore, you can buy electricals/electronics with 220/240 volts.

God Luck and have fun.
Be sure to take ONE DAY Visa b4 going out at Immigration. If donot have more than 4 hrs lay-over, forget going out of airport. Traffic jams occur in that place too...

Thanks
Indianadr

Mustapha and sons

is a very famous shop - Everyone in Singapore knows it - The taxi driver will definitely be able to take you there. It is in a part called little India. Sorry , but the area is not so clean like other parts of Singapore but the variety in that shop is fantastic. 3 or 4 stories high and covers all repeat all things that you could possibly want. Gold, other Jewelry, cosmetics, perfumes, watches, textiles, ready made, bags, gift articles, shoes , food stuff , Kitchen articles

and No bargaining - I love that - and reasonable prices. You will not get a feeling after all this that you have been cheated.

The shop accepts Visa/master/amex card of USA and also travellers cheques. Please carry Passport if you wish to encash Travellers cheques.

Also keep your bills and finally go to the basement and present the bills. They will fill a form and there is a process and you will get a cheque in the mail for the sales tax amount. Please write your indian address so that the cheque comes to you in India and it can be depositted in a bank account in India.

If You write your address in USA the cheque comes to USA and Banks in USA charge 30-40 USD to process the cheque because it is drawn on a Bank in Singapore. Whereas there are no charges for doing the same in India. Only You have to have a bank account in India.

Have fun

Do some sight seeing also

Popular sight seeing destinations are

Sentosa Island - with an excellent show in the night - Light/Music and fountain display.

Jurong Bird Park -

I dont remember the third trip but yes they took me on a cable car ride - that much I remember

The hotel arranges the tours and the tour company picks u up from the hotel and drops you back also.

Singapore is excellent - they are fully geared for tourists.

Also 300 feet from mustapha is an excellent south Indian restaraunt serving good dosas and in the morning they serve good \'sweet seera\'