Not an immigration topic. But let\'s escape and have some fun.

ric2

Registered Users (C)
Obviously, everyone has this or that kind of plan when we get this precious GC after years of grueling waiting. I also believe that many people put big decision on hold such as having a baby, buying a house, going back to school to finish Ph.D, opening a small business, etc... you name it.

I am planning to get a Ph.D in Information System from a top Business school. Given my Statistics and CS background, I think I can finish it in less than 3 years.

Does anyone have information about this major? What the career advancement looks like? I know the academic opportunity for this major is quite good. But I am not sure what kind of industrial opportunities are available for this kind of Ph.D? It is basically the mixture of statistics, cs and economics.

Any idea, folks?

Shoot your words about your plan, please.

Three years Ph.D. forget it.

If you did Masters already from a graduate school in USA with relevant subject, you may get it by three years. Most of the Ph.D takes 5-6 average years with foreign or US BS degree if it involves lab thesis work. First three years will spent for course work and then you have to pass the doctoral qualifying exam. After that you will assigned for a thesis project. I entered Ph.D in pharmaceutics and quit after 1 years to get a masters just for the long time (7 years for pharmaceutics... I couldn\'t afford it.). But definitely I will start Ph.D or Pharm. D from year 9/2003. I wish all my hardles will end by that time and i will able to switch a job where i will get tution reimbursement plan.

Hey, buddy! Do not be so optimistic!

Even you could transfer your courses from MS to PhD, you cannot be sure you could get PHD within 2.5-3 years. The reason is that PhD courses are bit different, but the more important thing is the thesis, for which you will have to struggle. It is not like a course, it encompasses your and your boss\'s ideas, your creativity, and your luck.

I would keep myself from boasting and be silent until I get my PhD....

ric2 - What do you mean by saying "...and have some fun..."

Where is that "fun" in your topic?

It\'s possible, but

why do you want to do it? Two masters are enough to earn you 100k plus p.a.. A Ph.D. will not add much value.

I guess your original question was about job prospect after a Ph.D. My opinion is that if you break your career path for three years, your job competency would be about the same as you keep working for next three years.

Good luck.