nonindian birth-?do we come under category for the backlog?

shobajag

Hi,
I have two questions-
I am on a h1b visa currently, and will be applying for a job that sponsors a greencard. I was born in Jamaica but have an Indian passport .With the new backlog regulations that involve Indians and Chinese-do I I still come under that category or is it possible that my birthplace is not India and the process of getting a greencard may be sooner?
Also- can one be sponsored for a greencard on a part time job(i have heard that you have to have a full time job for this to occur?
Thanks!

shobajag said:
Hi,
I have two questions-
I am on a h1b visa currently, and will be applying for a job that sponsors a greencard. I was born in Jamaica but have an Indian passport .With the new backlog regulations that involve Indians and Chinese-do I I still come under that category or is it possible that my birthplace is not India and the process of getting a greencard may be sooner?
Also- can one be sponsored for a greencard on a part time job(i have heard that you have to have a full time job for this to occur?
Thanks!

Yah Man! ;) I think you would be still be in the backlog because your still a citizen of India. Maybe someone can point you to language that says "native country", which will help.

You dont have to be even in USA for someone to sponsor you for Green Card.
Part-time/Full-time job doesnt matter.
Since your birth place is not India - you will save a lot of time (many yrs of waiting saved) in the 3rd stage - I485 which is currently retrogressed for Indians for 5+ yrs.

Country of birth matters, Not citizenship.

shobajag said:
Hi,
I have two questions-
Thanks!

Shhobajag,

You would come under a different category, since you were born in Jamaica you would come under "rest of world" in the retrogression queue. Contrary to what was posted earlier, country of citizenship does not matter- country of birth is what counts while determining which queue you would be stuck in. Good luck!