Non Immigration related: how is austin

Additional benefits to think about, if you have kids or planning to have kids.

It has good schools.
Kids can play outside the house for 8 months in an year compared to the North. You will know this is a big deal if you have kids.
Have people from different ethnic backgrounds.
Have good parks for outdoor activities.
Has a large river so if you like water activities (boating, water skiing etc.)

If you are used to doing big city things then there might not be that much to do in Austin, but there are plenty of stuff to do.

mmmmmmmmm......

Looks like there are not many takers for Austin.

That Sucks.
I was really looking forward to this position in austin.
The 2-3 days that I was there, I completly loved it.

The compay is nice and the pay is I am guessing good.

I have lived in the north east. Absolutely love it here, but the prices are outrageous and I thought Austin might be a nice change. My assumption was that the company is paying for relocation, so if it does not work out in the future, I can always move back to the north east.

I have my GC. My plan is to complete 5years , get citizenship and then gague what I want to do next.

IF things work out good with the comppany, they have offices in the North east, I can ask them to move me to MA or some thing later.

Allergies are still a concern for me.

Appretiate all the Input. Is there any one who has lived in austin who I can send an email or call.

Thanks in advance.
Over and out

Interesting thing you bring up about pay. It is the most economical place I have lived in. If that is your concern then you will not regret it. As someone pointed out, it has good recreational areas too. Nice restaurants, a lot of techies to mingle with. Then there is San Antonio for weekend getaways. Outlet mall for shopping (I know that is a reason alone for my wife. She has not been able to find one like that near Boston) :)

I have lived in Austin. PM me.

Also the houses are small

No yard

Dry

Hot

Poor

Tasteless

Populated with students

Too many trucks

Crime is high in some parts

Originally posted by eadwoes
They do have US-1 that runs parellel to I-35 for the most part. (Forget what the Austin-ites call it though.)

But you are right. Having lived in north-east now, that place seems like a small town in the middle of a huge jungle.

Now you are being a little negative. Small houses, tasteless are all subjective. I have friends who have large houses with yards. My apartment was nice and spacious and community was very very nice. Trucks are everywhere -- while I agree that midwest has more, that is not necessary an annoyance. Bad drivers are. But then you have them in North East too.

I think your experience has been rather bad and you are better off in your present location. The original poster might be better off in Austin with more money in a less expensive place.

Austin is one of the best cities in the world to live in. It is not that cheap (it used to be). Rents keep going up rapidly. Property taxes are high. However, there is no state income tax in Texas which is a big plus.

Austin calls itself the live music capital of the world. It may not deserve that title, but it does have a lot of music and a lot of culture. The University of Texas at Austin has about 50,000 students (give or take) and that means a lot of employers hanging around, a lot of culture and a lot of fun things to do.

If you like nature, Austin has several nice lakes, nice hiking trails, etc. Austin is green and pretty.

Watch out for allergies. They are 90% guaranteed to strike you in Austin.

I Guess I am moving to austin

I dont think the company is going to fold any time soon.
Pay is better than the NE. I like the homes when I visited austin.

I guess Austin is for me for now. Also I see more job postings in austin than in MA for my field.

If things dont work out like i will like them to, I can always come back to the NE.

For now Austin it is.

Here goes. I just signed the offer letter.

All your input has been very benificial and I appretiate it very much.
Thank you.
Over and out :D