(non-immi) Any PMPs here?

patienceGC

Registered Users (C)
(no you read right ... there is no "i" it is just PMP)!

If yes, please let me know what all preparation materials are required or are easily available on the net.

I would greatly appreciate tips for the exam. Also let me know how much time is neccessary, what is a good course, what all resources you used etc. Anything at all

Also let me know if it helped you in your career.

Thanks

As for books,

1. PMBOK guide is a must (On applying for PMI membership, you will get it on a CD).
2. PMBOK Q&A shoul help.
3. PMP Exam Prep - Rita Mulcahy
and/or
4. PMP Exam Practice Test and Study Guide - J. Leroy Ward

If you are interested in classroom sessions, Cheetah Learning (http://www.cheetahlearning.com) should help. Course costs about $2.5K and they guarantee certification. So if you fail, they will help you retake the exam (pay the retake exam fees twice and if still you fail will refund the fees). Remember, for PMP, 35 hours of PMI certified courses are a must and the cheetah learning provide that.

Wish you good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
a question...

Thanks st8, GodHelpUsGC for the excellent information..

I have about 9 years of software development experience, but no project management experience.

Would I be able to apply for this certification?

Any thoughts are much appreciated.

Venu123.

Re: a question...

Originally posted by Venu123
Thanks st8, GodHelpUsGC for the excellent information..

I have about 9 years of software development experience, but no project management experience.

Would I be able to apply for this certification?

Any thoughts are much appreciated.

Venu123.

I have heard you can have a lot of "execution" phase work and also that they are okay with little of the other phases. But of course if u have been there that long u must have done"initiating", "planning", " closing". "Control" may not be that much but they say its not bad.

Venu123,

In a project, everyone has to manage at least himself and his own work. ;)

There are 2 tracks for eligibility to take the tesks. PMP Handbook will outline them. With a degree, one needs to show about 3 yrs of PM experience ( in various phases of a project) in the past 6 yrs. As always, you can put some spin on the work you have been doing to belong in those phases.

Be aware that PMI does audit the experience verification forms but my guess would be few and far between. Obvious reasons being they would lose the monies associated with membership and the cert exam fees. If you were really bad in PM and kept failing, it may actually mean more money fo rthem in terms of fees. Could be the reason that they are not so stringent with the experience verification.

BTW, dont ever say that you do not have PM experience. It does not mean that you need to have 10 people under you to signify a project. It could be a 1 man project or a 2 people team project where you were the lead. Spin it, will ya! :)

Also, there is definitely value in doing the PMP. You will definitely learn the ropes and might see a PM's work from a PM viewpoint instead of a developer's viewpoint.

Hope that helps! Good Luck!

This is not related to the course.

But in my company, Contracting Project managers are all having PMP ceritifcation. Again that is the trend. After talking to them personally, It does not matter much. Just little extra skill set.

Again your Project management skills is going to count.

PMI is highly valued

PMI is highly valued across the globe for setting standards in Project management.

They offer some training programs too but may be expensive. Like st8 mentioned if you spin your experience, you would be able to give your PMI certification. Before giving the exam, you need some training.