Non-citizen married to US-citizen, changing jobs

tonischumacher

Alright I opened this topic before, but this one is a little different with couple additions.

First of all, I have been working under H1b visa in San Francisco, CA since 2008 (Expires 09/11).
Couple weeks ago me and my US citizen girlfriend got married after dating for 15 months. Right after marriage we filed all our documents via our attorney for GC. As of last week I got a new job offer and accepted it. Right after I gave my 2 weeks notice to my current company, my last day at work will be Nov 22, 2010. And my first day at the new company will be Dec 6, 2010. My current company said after my last day at work they will contact their immigration lawyer to drop my H1b, which is understandable. But now my question is, can I start working for the new company without receiving my work card, but only the receipt of GC application? How should I approach this situation?

In my job offer it says
"Moreover, please provide us, for purposes of completing the I-9 form, either a U.S. Passport or a picture ID issued by the state or federal government (such as a driver's license) and a U.S. Social Security Card."

I got my social security card when I first came to the States almost 10 years ago, as an exchange student, and now I can't find it. With that being said, if my company asks me to fill that I-9 form, I need to present them my drivers license, which is no problem, but then I need to present them some sort of a work authorization. Do you think telling them my green card is being processed and showing them the receipt would solve this issue? Or presenting them my I-94? What should I do?

I need your advice.

Thank you,

Toni

You will need the actual employment authorization card, not just proof of filing a gc application. Based on what you state, you cannot begin your employment without it.
I presume you actually filed out I-765, application for employment authorization which is a prerequisite for getting employment authorization while your application for green card is pending.