Non 485 - Home Buying

Not buying home until you have a GC is like a mental block. I have not gotten over it yet. Also Home prices in my area are so high that it is impossible to afford a decent home on a single salary. If you buy and sell immediately the worst you could loose is the agent's selling fee which is like 6% + some other closing costs etc.

Some other factors to consider are

Rate of real estate appreciation in your area.

How much cash reserve do you have in case you loose your job to pay the mortgage/monthly expense.

How is the real estate market in your area.

How good is the school district. Upto 60% people top priority is school district. Helps in renting as well.

howlongmore,
they dont have to run your wife,s credit before putting her name on the title.When we purchase our home in 2001 i was on H4 and i just got ssn last month after i got EAD and my name is on the title.Hope this helps.

Go for it

We bought the house about a year back when my I140 was also not approved. It does not matter if you have a GC or are a US Citizen when it comes to buying a house. All you need is a stable job for the loan application. Try Amsouth/Bank of America etc. You are almost guaranteed to make money in the house purchase.

Thanks for all your responses.

We went ahead and took a chance on June 15 and made an offer on that home. It was accepted the next day.

Fortunately, our cases were approved today.

Selling my townhouse

All,

I am selling my townhouse in Montomery township (near Hillsborough/Princeton). This is the 2nd best school district in NJ as per research. We are so happy with the school and the district that we are moving to a single family house in the same district. If interested, call Vish on 908 240 5485 or 908 431 9029.

thanks.