Nogales April-3 8:00am

jan10

Any one going to Nogales on april 3rd ?

Can some tell about a way of getting the $100 fee receipt delivered to california ?

thanks,
Bharath.

nogales 3rd april 8:00 am

I am having the appointment on the same day and same time 3rd april-8:00 am.Let me know how you are planning to go.I would also like to join you.

Planning to go to Nogales

I am planning to go there too. the dates are still available but I do not have a permit. How much time frame did it took you guys to get a permit?

we too!

My husband and I also have apptmt at the same time... but we dont have permit.. Is that ok..
It takes 4 weeks to get a visa ... they say..
Thanks

I am also going to Nogales by Apr 3rd. Do we need a visa to go to mexico? I have my appt by 8:00 AM. When will i take the DD?

I have same day appointment

nogales04-03-06 said:
Hi ,

I have appointment on apl-03-06 8.00 am at nogales mexico for h1 b visa. and i don't have a visa for mexico yet. I talk to some of my friends and they say it takes maximum 3 day to get a mexico visa. Last post was very confusing could you please explain what you mean by 4 weeks to get a visa. Are you talking about stamping or something else.

If any one you want to talk to me about this issue please email me at aniketmehta AT Yahoo.com and send me details about it or your phone no and we could talk about it in details.

Thanks.

How do I apply for a Mexico Visa and where? I have an Appointment for H1B Stamping at 8:00 AM in Nogales.

Also, I was not sure if Nogales AZ and Nogales Mexico are at the same place (two sides of the border) can anyone please clarify?

Thanks
ZB

Tranist?

yes, Indians do not require a visa for transit.
Unfortunately, I don't think freely roaming in a country and going to the consulate quallifies as a transit.

To get a mexican permit one has to go to the mexican consulate

http://www.mexonline.com/consulate.htm

It takes around 21-30 days to get a permit. I think its really advisable to get one. I heard that some people were able to go through agencies to get their permit in a week but they cost too much.

4 weeks for mexican visa

Hi,
aniket,
I dont know from where u are applying, but at san jose mexican consulate, the lady said it would take us around 4-6 weeks to get a mexican visa...
but she suggested that if we needed a permit, we could get it at the border too.. So my husband and I are planning to buy the permit at the border...
From where are you flying to Arizona?

Getting the Fee receipt delivered to US

Hello Everyone,

Well I am going to Nogales for my H1B stamping on 04/10/06 just like a lotta people out here.

Earlier Bharath asked if someone knew if there is a way to get the fee receipt (100 USD DD) delivered anywhere in US.

The reason I am asking this is because I saw a lot of you ppl( like sg2006 and bharath,...) are going to Nogales for stamping on Monday early in the morning( between 8:00 a.m - 9:00 a.m). How are all of you planning on getting the 100$ DD.

One option is to go there on Friday the week before your interview appt. and get the DD and stay in Nogales, MX for like 3-4 days. But that is inconvenient and can be potentially risky too.

So I was wondering if any of you guys have figured out any other way of getting the 100$ DD without travelling to MX earlier than MONDAY.

Btw..I have made arrangements to travel to Nogales,AZ on Friday(04/07/2006) to get the DD before i go for my interview on Monday at 8:00 a.m.

FYI:
If any of you guys dont wanna rent a car and travel from TUCSON to NOGALES, AZ(on the US side) then you can take a Greyhound from TUS to Noglaes,AZ (http://greyhound.com/home.asp and search for scheules from TUCSON TO NOGALES,AZ) its for like ~ $35 for a round trip. Personally i dont even wanna rent a car and leave it parked on the US side for a day or 2.

Sorry for the long email. I like to explain myself fully :).

Thanks,
Paresh

I am arriving on Saturday

Is there anyway I can get the draft on the weekend?

Our appointment is at 8:00 right, so we will all be like 1 1/2 hour late if we get the draft on Monday itself.

How are you guys going to deal with this?

Anyone has any current experience to share on this topic?

Any and all fedback will be appreciated :(

Well i at first i thought there is NO way to get the bank receipt during the weekend.

So i decided to be in Nogales on Friday and I reserved my flights accordingly.

But I researched more and it seems one of the Banamex branches is going to be open until Sunday(4:00 p.m). U can find its location here http://www.banamex.com/bnxmap/servlet/banamexrb_en?opTipoBusqueda=0&cmbEstado=26&cmbCiudad=$26043

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nogales, stuck for visa stamping .... Better take mexican visa and come

HI
I am a person who got stuck in Nogales , mexico for a week . Technology based background verification is issued on my case.
My background: MS in EE with a job in the same field.

If your education or job profile falls somewhere closeby to TAL (technology alert list ) VO will surely issue this kind of check ...

This is just for ur info. but not to scare you...

On the day of my interview people who r working in software field ... despite .. whether H1 to H1 or H4 to H1 ... F1 to H1 they got their visa stamped easily...
VO's are cool here..

But my case I cant help it ... my field is somewhere close to the TAL ... so for their formalities they will hold me here for few weeks..

So in such case I have paid around 500$ and took a 45 day permit...

Please take a 3 day permit at the border entrance ...If u r stuck .. atleast u can go and talk to mexican immigration officer for a few day more permit wihout any cost.
Since I havent taken the 3 day permit I was little scared and got the 45 day permit through an agent.... ended in paying more money..

Also this place is too expensive .. just like USA... Stay closeby to the border ... UR cell phones will work only at the border... Also here people can understand a little english ...
As you go close to the consulate people cant understand english and u cant communicate with anyone ...

If u need any help contact me .. through my personal email ..

I will be great to help few people atleast..

Regards
Sud3

sud3 said:
HI
I am a person who got stuck in Nogales , mexico for a week . Technology based background verification is issued on my case.
My background: MS in EE with a job in the same field.

If your education or job profile falls somewhere closeby to TAL (technology alert list ) VO will surely issue this kind of check ...

This is just for ur info. but not to scare you...

On the day of my interview people who r working in software field ... despite .. whether H1 to H1 or H4 to H1 ... F1 to H1 they got their visa stamped easily...
VO's are cool here..

But my case I cant help it ... my field is somewhere close to the TAL ... so for their formalities they will hold me here for few weeks..

So in such case I have paid around 500$ and took a 45 day permit...

Please take a 3 day permit at the border entrance ...If u r stuck .. atleast u can go and talk to mexican immigration officer for a few day more permit wihout any cost.
Since I havent taken the 3 day permit I was little scared and got the 45 day permit through an agent.... ended in paying more money..

Also this place is too expensive .. just like USA... Stay closeby to the border ... UR cell phones will work only at the border... Also here people can understand a little english ...
As you go close to the consulate people cant understand english and u cant communicate with anyone ...

If u need any help contact me .. through my personal email ..

I will be great to help few people atleast..

Regards
Sud3

Was this your first H1 stampping from F1 to H1 with MS or first time visa with this employer in this field. Pls clarify. Thanks !

hi sud

hi sud..
sorry to hear about your experience...

i hope they will be done with it in a few days rather than weeks. I will be in mexico onthe 24th...

i am planning to drive to the border monday early morning like 4am or 5am, park the car, cross the border and take the mexican 3 day permit if possible over there and not sure how to reach the US consulate from there...? i guess i have to figure out at the border..

again, i wish you all the best while you are there...

-abhi

Appt. on 3rd April 2006

My wife and myself have appt. on Apr 3rd. We got our DD using Vicor Garcia's service he charged $280 for two checks($60 service/commisiion). I guess it's not too bad when compared to the stress one goes throught if he wants to get the DD the same day of appt.

We are driving to Nogales on Sunday evening(from Scottadale, AZ). We got the Mexico visa last week. It took a months processing time(+ $134 pp). The MX consulate is on Camelback and 22nd AVE. The lady at the Counter is very nice and helpful. I have known many people crossing the border without a permit(I also did once when i was visiting Nogales for pleasure in Jan 2006).

We will be staying In Best Western on Grand Avenue (AZ) over night and cross to MX on Monday after parking car at the border. I guess the Consulate is 5 Km's from Border(i have never been that far in my last pleasure trip). People in MX do not speak english so make a cheat sheet with translations for common words and numbers.

I am pasting some ones experience in this messagee below-

Here is a detailed log of my trip to Nogales to get my H4-B visa stamped. Before I start
let me brief you my situation. I was going to Nogales to get an H4-B visa with out an
approval (for H4. the company lawyer had somehow not filed for my change of status)
and my husband had just received his I-797, he had a valid F-1 visa as he was still using
up his OPT to its entirety. After reading up all the horror stories on all the forums about
stamping in Mexico, I desperately wanted to go to Canada, but there were no
appointments and had to settle for Mexico. I called up the hotline they said the earliest
appointment that they had was at Nogales on the 11th of Jan at 9am and that was a for
single appointment (unlike Canada where if you get an appointment then you and your
spouse could appear at the same time). I was planning to go to India for short trip and so I
decided to go alone to get my H4 visa stamped.
This is as detailed as I could get. I have the whole trip outlines from Phoenix onwards, so
if you are not coming in from Phoenix, please bear with me.
I flew into Phoenix on the 10th and picked up a car from Alamo, and as you exit their lot
turn right and then left on the 3rd light (I-10) and keep going for about 106 miles and take
exit #260 to Nogales (I-19) and follow it all the way. The speed limit is 75 almost all the
way except near the cities (Phoenix and Tucson is 65), but the general traffic was moving
at 80-85. When you’re near the end of I-19 you will start seeing signs to the international
border and also you will see pay & park spots, most of them charge $4/day. There are
plenty of parking spots available, so no sweat. I parked at the first parking lot and I think
it’s the closest one to the border. Park the car and cross over, the signs to the border is
posted everywhere or ask the parking lot attendant to guide you. Crossing over is easy –
no documents required. There is a Banamex right next to the border, and that’s the one I
went to and there is also one right next to the US consulate. Before I tell you how to get
to Banamex and about boarding in Mexico I’d like to let you know that it is not
imperative that you been on time for the interview. So if you have an appointment at 9am
and the bank only opens at 9.30am don’t worry. You can go to the bank, pay your visa
fees and get to the consulate around 10am. I met couple of guys who did the above and
had no trouble (it seems they spoke to someone at the consulate and they said it was
okay). You don’t have to get to Mexico a day ahead of your appointment to pay your fees
as I did. Now to get to the Banamex near the border, once you are in Mexico you will
see a huge Coco-Cola sign on the left, walk in that direction. Cross the road, stick to the
right and turn right at the first intersection/road and as you walk down you will see
Banamex on the right. If you feel that you’re lost just ask anyone on the road “Banamex
Banco?” and they will guide you. Once you reach the bank pick up a token and wait for
your turn. At the counter let them know that you want to pay for your US visa fee and
hand over your money and passport. Keep the receipt in the passport to give at the
consulate. I had stayed at Fiesta Inn which is almost towards the end of the city, but there
are a couple of hotels near the consulate (I met a couple of Indians the next day who said
they had stayed at those hotels. They said it was just about okay, the plus point was it was
only $40/day and it was close to the consulate. You can walk to the US consulate from
these hotels if you want to. The hotel where the people I met stayed was: “Marque’s
D’Cima Hotel”, Caar. Internacional KM 4.5, Nogales, Sonora, Mexico, Ph# +52-631-
311-2000 and another which was also close to the consulate was “Hotel Granada”, Av.
Lopez Mateos, Y Calle Gonzalez, Nogales, Sonora, Mexico, Ph# +52-631-311-3000) I
took a cab to Fiesta Inn
(http://www.fiestainn.com.mx/posadas/content/NOG/principal/NOGprincipal.jsp?hotel=
NOG&marca=FI&idioma=en_MX&opcion=0&page=-1), it cost me $8. ALWAYS fix
the rates before you get into the cab. Fiesta Inn was expensive, $80 (that was one of two
hotels that turned up when I tired to locate a hotel in Nogales using google). The good
thing was the rooms were pretty good and they also provide a shuttle service to the
consulate. Next day, the shuttle dropped me off in front of the consulate at 8:30. Leave all
electronic stuff back in your hotel or pay the security $1 to hold on to your phone. When
I entered a lady checked my visa application to make sure it was complete (make sure
that you do not leave any columns blank, also ensure that you fill out the DS-156 which
has the Bar Code, this link gave me a print out with the barcode
https://evisaforms.state.gov/ds156.asp?lang=1 ) Once they X-ray your belongings and
you walk through the metal detector, you go in and there you are given a number. Even
though I got there at 8:30 for the 9am appointment my number was 40!! Once my number
was called, I was finger printed and photographed and then I was asked to wait for the
interview.
Now for the list of documents that I carried:
• Passport
• DS-156
• 2 passport photograph (although they used the photograph that they took at
the consulate for the visa)
• DS-157 (even though it says required only if male)
• I-797
• Copy of I-129
• Marriage Certificate
• My husband’s employment offer letter
• My husband’s employment continuation letter
• W-2 form for 2004
• 2004 Federal tax returns
• My husband’s most recent pay stub (last two)
• Copies of husband’s passport – front page, visa page (F-1) and I-94
ο As luck would have it, he had renewed his passport a couple of days back
and I was carrying his old passport, just as a precaution
• My husband’s resume that was submitted along with the I-129 application
• My husband’s degree certificate and transcript from India, and his diploma
and transcripts from the US
• My husband’s Company’s profile
The one document that I didn’t carry was my approval of H4 as our lawyer had said that
since the H-1B visa was starting only by the end of the week and since I was obtaining
the visa before that I didn’t need an approval. According to him an approval was only
needed if I was going to be in the country when the H-1B visa kicked in. I was on F-2
visa and my husband was on an F-1 visa and was using up his OPT to its entirety.
When the time came for my visa interview, he went through the documents and asked me
where my H4 approval was. I then tried to tell that my lawyer said all I really need was
the I-797 and an employment continuation letter and also when I called the hotline to
make the appointment for the interview they also said it was fine as long as I carry the I-
797. He then said that the guys who schedule the interview are not the right people to ask
and that I should have called up the consulate. He then asked for my husband’s passport
and once he saw that it had only an F-1 visa stamped on it things looked pretty bleak. At
this point I started handing over additional documents like, the W2 form, tax returns,
degree certificates, resume etc. He then said that he would need to check up and asked me
to wait. I could see him talking to other people meanwhile and I am presuming it was
about my case. Again when I was called, he kept asking about the approval and why I
didn’t get it and why my husband didn’t come with me etc. Meanwhile I tried to make
small talk with him and dropped remarks like “I don’t even have a traffic ticket” etc. To
make things short, finally he made a copy of all the documents and then after what
seemed like a life time, told me that the visa was approved and asked me to pay the
reciprocity fee ($50) and to come pick up my visa at 3pm. He also handed me a slip of
paper which said that my visa was approved. That slip of paper said that I will get my
visa within 3 days, anyway to quote it verbatim:
“Your visa has been approved. Normal processing time after approval for your category
of visa is up to three business days. Please return today at 3:00pm at the reception
window, as visas are sometimes available earlier than the third business day. There is no
waiting space available inside the building, you will have to leave and return to pick up
your visa. If your visa is not ready today please return tomorrow or the next business day
at 3:00pm.”
Crossing the border is an extremely time consuming process. It took me slightly over an
hour and a half at the border crossing just waiting in line to get my I-94. When it is
finally your turn they will ask you for your current address, will finger print you and take
a picture. After that they will issue the I-94 for a $6 fee and that’s it.
Another important point is that I did not get the Mexican Visa. You don’t need one if you
are going to be in Mexico for less than 72hrs. But again if you want to be extra safe then
getting a visa might be a good idea, it costs 170 pesos (≅USD16), I think.
Sorry if I’ve rambled on :) I hope this has helped you in some way. Good Luck!

H1B stamping Done- Hurray!

We had our stamping done yesterday. Was very easy. We were in line at 7:30am and done by 9:15 AM. The Questions- Where do you work? what do you do? Is your company applyinmg for Immigration( I am getting my final year). We stayed in Best Western in Nogales, AZ. The owner is a nice Desi man. The cab from Nogales border to Consulate takes $7(US)(Tell him $7 when you hire the cab- American Consulado). It took 10 Minutes. Stand in line outside till 7:40am. One person will come and check for papers. If we are missing any, he will give us the form. We had to Fill DS-158. They wont let us take any Electonic stuff, Remote car keys, Cosmetics, beeps, food etc inside. There is a Stall person(Looks like typical Desi chai stall) nearby who will hold the bags for us if needed, Give him a dollar and "Mucha Garcias" (Thank you very much) to him, he will be happy. The reciprocity fee of $50 per visa can be paid using a Credit card also, But keep some cash handy as at time the CC machines do not work.

Had to wait till 3pm to get the PassPort. Security will not let anyone stand near the consulate(they don't understand English). You can sit in the bus station near Consulate or walk around the "LEY" supermarket. If you are a Vegetarian, you have to walk to the Peter Piper Pizza place to get a veggie Pizza($16). Note- No one speaks english. Do your homework on Spanish. It will hot and dusty so drink lots of water and try staying in shade.

By the time we were in US after I-94 it was 5:45 Pm. It took another 2.5 hrs to drive to Phoenix(I drove at 85MPH- non stop).

Out of all H1 Interview- One person got a "Name check". His name matched with some one on black list. So he had to stay back in Nogales. Be mentally prepared. Another person trying to get F1 to H1-B had to return back with a visa as he was a major in Micro Biology.

While taking the I94 at the border(Upstairs), be sure to check the I94 for the correctness. The lady in counter gave me a H2B on the I94, luckily i checked and got it corrected.

Let me know if anybody else need any info. My attorney was very Helpful- He gave me all the information need to get there. I had to do some R/D just to be comfortable. Hope this info will be helpful to someone.

H1 visa done, but no I94

Hi,
I got my visa stamped. but at the checkpost, they didnt give me a new i 94. They just saw my valid visa stamp and let me enter US again.

I hope that should not be a problem...

Thanks
R

Faq

1) Most important of all. If they ask you that have you applied for your green card or has your company applied for your greencard whats the answer to say or if they asked you what did you say.
[Meher K Nori]
I said ‘Yes’ they started the process

2) What are the questions they asked you in the interview?
[Meher K Nori]
I already mentioned them in the Forum post.

3) Were there any technical questions regarding job title
[Meher K Nori]
No

4) What all documents did they ask you
[Meher K Nori]
Employer job validation letter, 797, passport

5) How much was the visa issuance fee
[Meher K Nori]
$110 + $50 Reciprocity Fee

8) Did they ask you any other weird or surprising questions which u didn’t expect
[Meher K Nori]
No

9) Did they ask photos of employer place etc?
[Meher K Nori]
No, they did not. But I kept them handy anyway.

Take all the docs you can think. Being over-prepared doesn’t hurt. Speak American English, and smile/look confident. Do not answer more than what you are asked. Give very simple Answers. Like- “I do programming” and not any technical answer. If they don’t understand they may hold your app and ask other stupid questions.

By the time you cross the border after taking i-94 etc it will be 5:30pm. Drive to nearest airport (Tucson) is 1.15 hrs. Do not plan to catch a flight before 7:30 Pm. There are more number of flights from Phoenix than Tucson.