No updates after finger printing

forum_addict

Registered Users (C)
I am applying for N400 from Fairfax, VA region.My finger printing was done on Jan 12, 2012. My spouse also had her finger printing done at the same time. Her status changed to in line for interview scheduling 4 days after the fp appointment. However there are no updates to my case as of Jan 31. Mine still has the same old status. Is this something that I need to be concerned about or is this wait time normal?

Thanks

I am applying for N400 from Fairfax, VA region.My finger printing was done on Jan 12, 2012. My spouse also had her finger printing done at the same time. Her status changed to in line for interview scheduling 4 days after the fp appointment. However there are no updates to my case as of Jan 31. Mine still has the same old status. Is this something that I need to be concerned about or is this wait time normal?

Thanks

I'm in the same boat. I did my FP ON Jan 17, and haven't seen an update in my status. Nothing at all. Wondering is I'm stuck in name check or something. I did FP in New York City.

Same situation here .. SF dist. office. FP done as scheduled on 1/4/2012 and no updates online after that.

Thanks

This is not something new so please do not worry about it. You can wait for some more time as this is normal. Fingerprints will be sent to the FBI which will run a background check and if cleared, they will be sent back to the USCIS office within a few days. However, if the fingerprints are not clear or smudgy, the FBI will take time to send it back to the USCIS or may reject it at times. I am not saying that this is the reason for the delay but it may also be one probable reason.

This is not something new so please do not worry about it. You can wait for some more time as this is normal. Fingerprints will be sent to the FBI which will run a background check and if cleared, they will be sent back to the USCIS office within a few days. However, if the fingerprints are not clear or smudgy, the FBI will take time to send it back to the USCIS or may reject it at times. I am not saying that this is the reason for the delay but it may also be one probable reason.

Thanks for your response. I will wait for few more weeks, and if I still don't see any updates then i will probably call the FBI number to see if they have any updates.

No update is not necessary a bad sign though. If your FP got rejected or is unreadable, you probably already received a re-print notice.

Below is my ASSUMPTION:

During initial review, USCIS started FP and Name Check together. I think 99% of people's FP got cleared within 24 hours and FBI will send the result back to USCIS. BUT IT WILL NOT TRIGGER AN UPDATE.

Not everyone's name check cleared immediately. Some name checks may clear without delay. Most cases take 2 weeks, but few cases may take up to several months. Only when you pass both checks, the status will become in line for interview.

Unlike before, USCIS used to go through interview process before name check cleared. That's why many old cases took years to complete after a successul interview.

No update is not necessary a bad sign though. If your FP got rejected or is unreadable, you probably already received a re-print notice.

Below is my ASSUMPTION:

During initial review, USCIS started FP and Name Check together. I think 99% of people's FP got cleared within 24 hours and FBI will send the result back to USCIS. BUT IT WILL NOT TRIGGER AN UPDATE.

Not everyone's name check cleared immediately. Some name checks may clear without delay. Most cases take 2 weeks, but few cases may take up to several months. Only when you pass both checks, the status will become in line for interview.

Unlike before, USCIS used to go through interview process before name check cleared. That's why many old cases took years to complete after a successul interview.

You're right. Also the i think the DO has a lot to do with it. Some people in trackitt.com with my same timeline got their interview date already. But their DO is Dallas. Im stuck with NYC! such a busy office.

Similar situation

Sent to AZ.
Both had FP on Jan 12 - spouse got FP rejected and did it again a week ago. Today it moved to Testing & Interview. But no change on mine. EB1 category. We both live in the same place and traveled together - both did the FP in San Jose. Any thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sent to AZ.
Both had FP on Jan 12 - spouse got FP rejected and did it again a week ago. Today it moved to Testing & Interview. But no change on mine. EB1 category. We both live in the same place and traveled together - both did the FP in San Jose. Any thoughts?

I guess is name check or something. I'm also on a EB1A and no updated at all and i did FP on Jan 17

I guess is name check or something. I'm also on a EB1A and no updated at all and i did FP on Jan 17

Yesterday received yellow letter for both me and spouse asking us to bring driver license. No updates to my case, still in initial review while spouse is in line for interview scheduling. Sending the yellow letter does not seem to update the case status or last updated timestamp.

Yesterday received yellow letter for both me and spouse asking us to bring driver license. No updates to my case, still in initial review while spouse is in line for interview scheduling. Sending the yellow letter does not seem to update the case status or last updated timestamp.

congrats! at least u got a YL! things are moving. I'm still the same. waiting

My new observations regarding no update for FP:

1) Some people got update within a couple days. However, they still waited for several months before actually got scheduled.

2) Some people got update after a couple of months. But soon after getting update, case moved very fast to interview scheduled.

3) Yellow Letter could be received anytime during the waiting process. There is no apparent indication that it has anything to do with FP update or not.

4) These observations do not apply to super fast DOs, such as HI. These DOs usually finish everything within 3 months.

Last edited by a moderator:
My new observations regarding no update for FP:

1) Some people got update within a couple days. However, they still waited for several months before actually got scheduled.

2) Some people got update after a couple of months. But soon after getting update, case moved very fast to interview scheduled.

3) Yellow Letter could be received anytime during the waiting process. There is no apparent indication that it has anything to do with FP update or not.

4) These observations do not apply to super fast DOs, such as HI. These DOs usually finish everything within 3 months.

thank you for your observations. I think your right. We just have to be patient and keep waiting

Guys, I'm so glad I'm not the only one with that problem. I had biometrics taken in NYC also, on the 18th of January. Since then — no updates. Did this change for anyone yet?

Guys, I'm so glad I'm not the only one with that problem. I had biometrics taken in NYC also, on the 18th of January. Since then — no updates. Did this change for anyone yet?

No.Nothing at all.I did FP also in nyc on Jan 17. And not even a status update. Some people in other DO that filed on Jan are already in line for interview. Wondering what's happening in NYC.

My spouse got i/v date in the mail
Filed at AZ, FP on Jan 12 for both. Spouse had to redo FP in San Jose, not me.
We both live and traveled together
Yet mine is still in initial review.
What to take of this?

My spouse got i/v date in the mail
Filed at AZ, FP on Jan 12 for both. Spouse had to redo FP in San Jose, not me.
We both live and traveled together
Yet mine is still in initial review.
What to take of this?

Looks like we're all in name check hell. There's an FBI phone number though that you can call to check if they sent the name check back to USCIS. If I don't get any updates in 30 days, I'm going to call them.

Looks like we're all in name check hell. There's an FBI phone number though that you can call to check if they sent the name check back to USCIS. If I don't get any updates in 30 days, I'm going to call them.

Could you give an update if you indeed call FBI? Tx

N-400 (5 YEARS) DO. NYC
12/27/2011 - MAILED TO TX
12/28/2011- Received
1/03/2012- Check cashed
1/04/2012- I-797C Notice of Action Received
1/06/2012 FP Notification Notice Date
1/17/2012 FP DONE WALK-IN
2/13/2012- Yellow Letter- State I.D

Finally a little update