No talk about H1 quota problems for physician jobs???

H1ReceiptWait

Registered Users (C)
My wife is currently in residency. I am looking around to see if anybody has anything to say about H1 quota problems for physician jobs. I haven't seen a single thread anywhere regarding this. Am I missing something here. Isn't anybody thinking about this. I know J1 waiver H1s are cap-exempt. What about residents who are on H1. Are many primary care physician jobs cap-exempt that cap is not a concern.?

Thanks.

Physicians who join academic teaching centers or non profilt organizations are exempt from cap. On the other hand if she joins a private practice with NO academic affiliation, then she will be subject to cap.

Then does it mean that majority of physicians seeking H1 jobs typically go to cap exempt workplace. Since I haven't seen any posts regarding the effect of H1 cap, for physicians, running out on the first day, I would have to assume many practices have some sort of affiliation to non-profit or teaching hospital to be cap-exempt. Is this so?

Any residents entering 3rd year would like to comment? What is your strategy if no immigration bill is passed?

Thanks.

it is a concern for many people on H1 this year, I know 1 guy who contracted with a large hospital (William Beaumont) that runs many residencies, so it is expemt from cap, but i know many others who r still worried about it.
i think another option beside cap excempt positions, is to get national ineterest waiver, i don't know details about it, but just heard residents talking about it....so u can ask your lawyer how to go through that pathway...u can get it by working in underreserved areas (not rural) for 5 years, or something like that....

No cap for transfers

What are you guys talking about? Or am I missing something here? If someone is already on an H1 position in residency, cap issue does not arise for job since it is an transfer / extension of H1 from residency to job; and transfers do not have a cap. It is the first H1b issue for which cap is considered.

dallasdoc is probably right. i didnt realize your wife was already on H1b and it would be a transfer.

Since the residency H1 does not come under cap, it can be transferred to cap exempt job without any issues. If my wife gets a job which is not cap exempt, then the transfer will come under the cap. What I am wondering is, typical primary care physician jobs ( my wife wants to do primary care) which IMG take up after residency, do they come under cap?

Physicians and residents get together

Physicians and residents,

If you're interested in special interest group, please visit Immigration Voice where a few physicians and residents are in the process of forming a think-tank

Visit http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/showthread.php?t=4817
Requires free signing up. You are encouraged to come forward and connect with "paskal" and "mhb" and other physician members.

Thanking immigrationportal.com in advance for being able to communicate this message.