No Much Help from attorney-NIW

penpen

Registered Users (C)
I am preparing my NIW case now, but I didn't get much help from my attorney. I emailed him the draft letters and besides almost identical comments, eg. "this letter is fine", "you should add more about the comparison with US scholars", there is no specific and further comments. I thought attorney would check my english at the least, but apparent not. Also I asked questions about how to fill I-140 and ETA 750, he still hasn't replied. I have paid him 1500$, and I am a little concerned about how he is going to draft the leagal briefing on behalf of me.

Is that normal for attorneys? I know I have to do all the hard work by myself, but I am a little bit dissapointed about his over simplified answer like "fine" and "add more information".

Thanks a lot and could anyone help how to fill I-140 and ETA750 in my case: NIW with an attorney?
I-140, Part 1, 5-6 and 8. ETA750, Item 12 and 14. Thanks again.

hi

that is ridiculous...your attorney should be filling out all the forms. YOu should provide him all the information he needs.....whatever he asks....and after he fills out the forms you should proof-read them for accuracy. He should also help you draft letters of support to articulate legal requisites within the letters. I would probably try to get my money back and look for someone else....its still earlky on and sooner the better you find out about such loser attornies. It sound like he is not going to take much interest in the case if this is the way he is now (even the lousiest of attornies will show more interest early on whioch may fade away slowly/quickly depending on how genuine the guy/gal is. Good Luck (and probably it will not be a bad idea looking for a genuinely good attorney).

Yes, I too think the attorney should be helping you a lot more. I wrote the letters but they I did get a lot more help in editing those. By the way, can you please tell me what is ETA705? Thanks.

Murmanmadi

Thanks guys. ETA-750B is a labor certification form, NIW shouldn't require the labor certification, but I think you still need to fill that form. It has ETA-750A and B, NIW uses ETA750B.

I called my attorney regarding filling I-140 and ETA750B forms. They will take care of the form filling based on the information I gave them. So what I am really dissapointed about them is the letter drafting. Actually it's fine for me to make the draft, but they should help me make changes, especially when they thought such changes were needed. It's annoying to hear the same type of comments:" you need to add more comparision with US scholars..." over and over.

But anyway I think for cases like EB1/2, we need to get fully involved in the whole process.

Actually Penpen - I would advise you to think very carefully before filing your NIW.

Your attorney (and not you) is supposed to be the one drafting the support letters. I say this because the letters are supposed to address very specific legal criteria related to NIW qualifications. This is not something lay people like us can draft accurately. I think the attorney should draft the letter in a manner to address all these criteria accurately - and then you should proof read the letter to check for any glaring inaccuracies.

NIW seems to have gotten very tough these days - I would make sure you have all the criteria addressed appropriately in your letters BEFORE you file with INS. Either have a long hard talk with your current attorney - or take your business elsewhere.

Just my opinion.........Good luck with your application

I disagree with Zaye's assertion that the support letters should be drafted by the attorney. This in fact constitutes fraud, as the letters should be drafted by the person giving the endorsement. Yes, the lawyer should provide a template and specific guidelines on the content of the letter, but should not draft the letter.

I disagree with Zaye's assertion that the support letters should be drafted by the attorney. This in fact constitutes fraud, as the letters should be drafted by the person giving the endorsement. Yes, the lawyer should provide a template and specific guidelines on the content of the letter, but should not draft the letter.

I totally agree with Zaye. Having a competent lawyer is essential. I have just received I140 approval for self sponsor NIW. I consider my attorney pretty expensive but it was worth every penny to get my approval without any problem. I gave my lawyer a 25 page document that I wrote about myself and my accomplishments and based on this she drafted all my letters which I and my referees could edit for accuracy and content. As I understood it from her: she felt that while the referees (and myself) were experienced in writing references letter for scientific/job purposes, the language and tone for the letters to INS was very different and had to be written accordingly.
Hope you find this useful.

Last edited by a moderator: