No more I-551 Passport Stamping ??

Magician

Registered Users (C)
Hi All,
I got my approval notice today which states "We are going to mail your plastic card in 3-4 weeks. If not received by then Please call........".

Is that means passport stamping is no longer needed?? Anyone got the same experience?? Looks like Instant Plastic Cards Finally Arriving without PP stamping

Your Feedbacks/comments are welcome

Thanks

Nice. That's the way I would read. Looks like they are really trying to phase out stamping (which is redundent anyway!) Just give them a call to reaffirm that they mean what they are saying.

Magician said:
Hi All,
I got my approval notice today which states "We are going to mail your plastic card in 3-4 weeks. If not received by then Please call........".

Is that means passport stamping is no longer needed?? Anyone got the same experience?? Looks like Instant Plastic Cards Finally Arriving without PP stamping

Your Feedbacks/comments are welcome

Thanks
Sounds weird! What about the photographs? are they going to use 22 month old photographs?

magician, did u recently submit front passport-style photographs for EAD renewal? Maybe they use those pics?

May be I551 stamp in not mandatory any more

According to my lawer she has 2 cases which were approved 6 months ago. They didn't go for stamping, but they got their plastic card directly within 2 months time of the approval. Any body else has seen something like this? The service centre is Vermont.

According to the lawer, you get your Passport stamped only when you have to travel in a short time and you don't have your GC in hand

BRAVE123 said:
According to my lawer she has 2 cases which were approved 6 months ago. They didn't go for stamping, but they got their plastic card directly within 2 months time of the approval. Any body else has seen something like this? The service centre is Vermont.

According to the lawer, you get your Passport stamped only when you have to travel in a short time and you don't have your GC in hand

But where do they get the photo and fingerprint from???

aonflux said:
magician, did u recently submit front passport-style photographs for EAD renewal? Maybe they use those pics?

I ddin't submitted front pp-style photos.. I think they are going to use my photos I used during 2nd EAD. I heard about this "instatnt plastic card" some weeks ago but not knew they already implememented it.

Speculations

Too much speculating, guys. No official releases on stamping changes have been made. As far as I am concerned stamping is still the normal procedure followed by the mailing of the plastic card.

However, I do believe "plastic cards" are now being made and mailed out faster. I was approved and stamped after an interview on 9/23/04 at a District Office and I received my plastic card less than a month later (10/20/04).

Good Luck to all. I advise to still go for stamping if you received your approval in the mail.

I needed my stamp as I had to leave the country right after approval.

For guys like me suppose if they approve before I apply for 2nd EAD or AP (looks like the case as I got fingerprinting on 18 Nov 2004 whereas my I-485 ND is 27 Feb 2004 and I won't apply my EAD until April 2005) which photos are they going to use? because I submitted old style ADIT photos and according to recent changes these photos are now obsolete.

About fingerprinting i can understand that they have started to store ur fingerprint so that u need not have to go for 2nd FP and they could use the stored one on GC

Magician

Magician said:
They have my photos during 2nd FP on 08/05/2004

I am wondering what do you mean by they having phostos during 2nd FP.

Usually, For FP, they dont take pictures.

Kandy

kandy17 said:
I am wondering what do you mean by they having phostos during 2nd FP.

Usually, For FP, they dont take pictures.

Kandy

Kandy,

I mean photos they have during my 2nd EAD not FP.

cemol said:
Too much speculating, guys. No official releases on stamping changes have been made. As far as I am concerned stamping is still the normal procedure followed by the mailing of the plastic card.

However, I do believe "plastic cards" are now being made and mailed out faster. I was approved and stamped after an interview on 9/23/04 at a District Office and I received my plastic card less than a month later (10/20/04).

Good Luck to all. I advise to still go for stamping if you received your approval in the mail.

I needed my stamp as I had to leave the country right after approval.

Cemol,
I am not speculating anything. It is obvious for you to think like that since I am the only person who has received such notice and posted the same on
this thread.

People,
It looks like I am the only one who received a different kind of approval notice. I think they might have started this for all approvals from Nov 1st 2004 onwards. Is there anyone else with the same notice (I-797C) which reads follows

"This is to notify you that your application for permanent residence has been approved. It is with great pleasure that we welcome you to permanent resident status in the United Status. We will soon mail you a new Permanent Resident Card. You should receive it in next 3 weeks. You can use it to show your new status. When you receive your card you must carry it all times if you are 18 or older. It is the law. Your new card will expire in ten years. While card expiration will not directly affect your status, you will need to renew your cards several months before it expires......etc...etc"

Notice does not mention anything about stamping or photos requirements or any other appointment dates for stamping. Hard to believe eh? May be if more people start posting the same then you will trust me.

Congratulations magician!
I understand that effective Oct 15, INS is planning to phase out PP stamping for permanent residency, so that they can issue the plastic card faster..
So, your case might be the one of the first who started to receive the plastic card directly.
I got my approval on Nov 3rd,but mine was a standard approval message.
So,it looks like there is some fluctuation in INS between the two processes..

-vascan

Last edited by a moderator:
Magician,

I seen some cases, which approved in September 2004. they got their Plastic Card ordered message directly instead of approval message, when they called USCIS regarding this message, USCIS customer service people said that,they are using existing photos and FPs. They dont need to take it again. I think they were also applied for EAD i believ.

I believe you estimations is really correct.

here are some approvals like you :)
http://boards.immigration.com/showthread.php?t=147016&highlight=Plastic+Card+ordered

kamvp said:
Magician,

I seen some cases, which approved in September 2004. they got their Plastic Card ordered message directly instead of approval message, when they called USCIS regarding this message, USCIS customer service people said that,they are using existing photos and FPs. They dont need to take it again. I think they were also applied for EAD i believ.

I believe you estimations is really correct.

here are some approvals like you :)
http://boards.immigration.com/showthread.php?t=147016&highlight=Plastic+Card+ordered

Kamvp,
Thanks for posting the link. But it seems the user "UpsetPerson" was planning to go for PP stamping that time. He has not posted his later experience.
Thanks again

vascan said:
Congratulations magician!
I understand that effective Oct 15, INS is planning to phase out PP stamping for permanent residency, so that they can issue the plastic card faster..
So, your case might be the one of the first who started to receive the plastic card directly.
I got my approval on Nov 3rd,but mine was a standard approval message.
So,it looks like there is some fluctuation in INS between the two processes..

-vascan
Vascan,
Thanks. My approval message on USCIS is still "standard" one. Please do post when you receive your approval notice message by post.

Magician said:
Kamvp,
Thanks for posting the link. But it seems the user "UpsetPerson" was planning to go for PP stamping that time. He has not posted his later experience.
Thanks again
Magician,

I also seen some other approvals in september. Initially they were worried about the message, which was saying that 'plastic card ordered'. At that time I was in tension for my I-140, since I got strange approved message. I didnt concentrate on this issue.

here is one more link that shows the people got different message then approval for their I-1485 approval.
http://boards.immigration.com/showthread.php?t=144543&highlight=weird+message

http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=143757

http://boards.immigration.com/showthread.php?t=143246

kamvp said:
Magician,

I also seen some other approvals in september. Initially they were worried about the message, which was saying that 'plastic card ordered'. At that time I was in tension for my I-140, since I got strange approved message. I didnt concentrate on this issue.

here is one more link that shows the people got different message then approval for their I-1485 approval.
http://boards.immigration.com/showthread.php?t=144543&highlight=weird+message

http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=143757

http://boards.immigration.com/showthread.php?t=143246

Thanks again kamVP.