No card yet...possibly lost in mail?

OctCP

Registered Users (C)
My POE is LAX and DOE is 12/01/02. I notice that people who entered after 12/01 at LAX have received cards. Also, people who have entered after 12/01 at SFO have received cards (traditionally LAX and SFO have similar processing time for cards).

I have requested an address change at POE and I have written down my new address on a form given by the immigration officer. However, I suspect that the immigration officer did not update my address on the computer.

Questions:
1) If the card is mailed to my old address, will it be forwarded to my new address? Can someone who has received card recently tell me what is written on the envelope--"address service requested", "do not forward", or anything similar?

2) Is there a number I can call and check the status? Possibly, check the address on my A number in the INS records?

3) Is there any other way I can track my card?

Thanks!

Change of Address form

OctCP,

There is a specified INS form (AR-11) for requesting a change of address. The form is available at the INS site lsited below.

http://www.ins.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/index.htm

I don't think your change of address at airport worked. The plastic card envelope sent by INS doesn't get forwarded to new address. The envelope will be returned to the INS office.

If you are in LA, my suggestion to you would be is to go to INS office in LA (Down Town area) on Los Angeles Street and Temple Street corner and request the status of your plastic card.

Thanks and Good Luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Green card is sent in a plain envelope and has no restrictions on it that says" DO NOT FORWARD". It doesn't even have INS or Dept of Justice written on it. One should be able to get it forwarded to a new address.

You should call INS California Service Center. You will have to hold for upto an hour, so be patient. If you are able to reach an operator, you will get an answer as to why your card is not sent to you yet. You will need your A number. Remember to get the application receipt number (WAC number) before you hang up. (Like all applications, plastic card creation also gets a WAC number. Having this number makes it easier to check status either online or thru phone.)

I don't think you can simply walk to the nearest INS center and get the plastic card.

I got my card in 40 days, POE=SFO on Nov 09.

Originally posted by nkm-oct23
Green card is sent in a plain envelope and has no restrictions on it that says" DO NOT FORWARD". It doesn't even have INS or Dept of Justice written on it. One should be able to get it forwarded to a new address.

You should call INS California Service Center. You will have to hold for upto an hour, so be patient. If you are able to reach an operator, you will get an answer as to why your card is not sent to you yet. You will need your A number. Remember to get the application receipt number (WAC number) before you hang up. (Like all applications, plastic card creation also gets a WAC number. Having this number makes it easier to check status either online or thru phone.)

I don't think you can simply walk to the nearest INS center and get the plastic card.

Firstly, I had assumed that OctCP was in LA, which might not be a correct assumption. Secondly, I meant that an individual can go to INS office in LA Down Town to find the status of the plastic card.

Originally posted by nkm-oct23

Firstly, I had assumed that OctCP was in LA, which might not be a correct assumption. Secondly, I meant that an individual can go to INS office in LA Down Town to find the status of the plastic card. I have updated my earlier posting with correction.

U are not alone

octCP,

U are not alone waiting for the Plastic card.

POE - LAX
DOE - 11/26/02

My wife recieved her welcome letter and plastic card sometime in december itself. I just recieved welcome letter last week and waiting for the Plastic Card. I guess there is no consistency in processing this cards.

As everybody suggested contact the INS processing center in california and they should update you about the status of the case. I did contact couple of times. Initially they told me that they are unable to see my case in the computer and advised to contact the nearest INS office whereever i am located. But when i tried next time the immigration officer was able to look into "Mail room" data file and he told me that the file is available but some data entry operator has to work on putting the details in the computer and then process the plastic card. So don't panic if one of the immigration officer tells that they are unable to locate the file...i guess there is no consistency within the immigration officers.

Good Luck!!

Always
Vsats

Re: U are not alone

Just an update.

POE - LAX
DOE - 01/12/03

Recieved welcome letters 01/22/03
Recieved Green cards on 01/31/03

Thanks
RKReddy

Originally posted by vsats
octCP,

POE - LAX
DOE - 11/26/02

My wife recieved her welcome letter and plastic card sometime in december itself. I just recieved welcome letter last week and waiting for the Plastic Card. I guess there is no consistency in processing this cards.

As everybody suggested contact the INS processing center in california and they should update you about the status of the case. I did contact couple of times. Initially they told me that they are unable to see my case in the computer and advised to contact the nearest INS office whereever i am located. But when i tried next time the immigration officer was able to look into "Mail room" data file and he told me that the file is available but some data entry operator has to work on putting the details in the computer and then process the plastic card. So don't panic if one of the immigration officer tells that they are unable to locate the file...i guess there is no consistency within the immigration officers.

Good Luck!!

Always
Vsats

Tracking GC

Is there any way to track your GC? It has been about 3 weeks since I came into the country. I have not received my welcome letter yet. My POE is newark. How do I find out more info?

Srini

Thank you vsats, cpDelhi, and nkm-oct23 for all the support. [BTW, cpDelhi, your assumption 1 is correct--I'm in LA].

Finally I received the card! May be, my case stayed in the "mail room" data file for a long time, before somebody entered the case details into the computer.

Here are the dates:
POE: LAX
DOE: 12/01/02
Welcome letter: 02/03/03
Card: 02/11/03

octCP,

POE - LAX
DOE - 11/26/02

Good Luck!!

Always
Vsats

BTW, Vsats, did you receive your card?

octCP,

POE - LAX
DOE - 11/26/02

Good Luck!!

Always
Vsats

Congrats..

OctCP,

COngratulations on getting your plastic card... Should be a big relief.....

Enjoy your post CG, post receiving plastic card life... So what's your next project now that "Mission GC with Plastic card" is completed successfully.

Good luck with your future endevaours too..................

Re: Congrats..

Thanks, cpDelhi!

It sure is a big relief! The updated SS card is still pending, but I'm not worrying too much about it. Things are damn slow with the increased security checks, and I can wait.

Originally posted by cpDelhi
OctCP,

COngratulations on getting your plastic card... Should be a big relief.....

Enjoy your post CG, post receiving plastic card life... So what's your next project now that "Mission GC with Plastic card" is completed successfully.

Good luck with your future endevaours too..................

Got my Plastic card

Hi OctCP,

Sorry I didn't had a chance to look into immigrationportal.com for a long time.

Yes, I did recieved my Plastic Card around 01/24. I guess it is time to kiss goodbye to INS for a while.

U guys have a wonderful post-GC life.

Always
Vsats