NIW VSC approved in 2 months

focus1

Registered Users (C)
I had to pinch myself to see if it was a dream.

RD ~Dec-14 04
AD Feb-12 05

NIW VSC, petitioned through a lawyer

Here are my details:
Fellow in a famous research hospital 11 publications, 43 citations, 7 references, two from people I didnt work previously with , one of whom was the author of a well known book. Hope this info helps new people interested in NIW.

Now, I have a question in return!
I am confused about my pending OR application which had a concurrent I-485. Is it possible to transfer the I-485 in light of this approval?
thank you

focus1:

Congratulations! It seems that Vermont is much faster even in NIWs! Can you share more details about your background, eg, which research area, who your lawyer is? Is there any government letter for you? I need to boost my self-confidence a little bit.

Thank you!

fly

thanks,

my background is as a physicict working in biomedical imaging of Alzheimers disease etc.,. It might have to do with this.
I didnt have any letter from the government...

Frankly, I feel that it doesnt matter as long as you have a decent profile. They seem to be a bit loose on deciding whether you fulfill their criteria.

good luck.

But I hope someone will answer my earlier question regarding I-485.

thanks

focus1 said:
But I hope someone will answer my earlier question regarding I-485.

thanks

Congratulations on your 140 approval.

Yes, you can link your new I-140 approval with the old I-485. Are they with the same service center?? You need to send in a letter to the Service Center where your 485 is pending attaching a copy of your I-140 approval notice requesting to process/link your old 485 with this approved I-140. Thats it. Then wait for your 485 approval. I am not sure if they (USCIS) sends you any confirmation that they are linked.

Have you filed 485 by yourself or through a lawyer?...if through a lawyer, ask their opinion too.

Congrats!!

Now, I have a question in return!
I am confused about my pending OR application which had a concurrent I-485. Is it possible to transfer the I-485 in light of this approval?

It is possible to transger your I-485 to the approved NIW 140 petition.

thanks much for your replies. It is a partial relief.

Yes I did file through a lawyer, and from personal expenses (my employer did not pay for it), although most of the time it felt like I was alone! I wrote a signinifcant part of the petition letter myself. I am trying to reach them regarding this question but they are a big firm and take their own time!
I dont know if I am allowed to use names of lawyers in this forum so I am not sure if I want to give it here.
But, there are plenty of professional ones and you dont have to worry as long as you have a fair case. The USCIS seems to be balancing out the past backlog. Just dont wait too long to apply before this good time ends!

let me know if any other questions...

OR approved as well!!

I should be running some period of luck.

My OR application was approved just now (ND july 14 2003), a few days after the NIW approval. I wish I could give this approval to someone else!

But people should keep their spirits up as this is a good time for the EB-1

Congrats focus 1...

I learnt that your petition was approved in 2 months, nice touch!

I am putting up an NIW petition (thru lawyer) at VSC...My credentials are: currently postdoc, 20 publication (15 in top-class journals in my subject), 2 of them are invited, one book chapter, 30+ conference papers, 25+ citations, 15+ recommendation letters (only 4 are from know people, rest are from people I hv not worked: 8+ from US, 4+ from other countries), reviewed >15 papers for various reputed journals, reviewed few grant proposals for national and international funding agencies...

I would like to take your opinion on things that I should or should not do as you have recently gone thru the process! Any other advice would be equally appreciated...

Thanks...

Your citations appear small (+25) given your publications. However, you should qualify for EB1 EA, EB1 OR, and NIW based on your overall credentials. Try to prepare a very good petition letter articulating your credentials.

Last edited by a moderator:
your case seems stronger than mine, so it should be a good petition. But the one thng to remember is that my application had strssed on the importance of my workm which is related to Alzheimers. Just make sure you stress on the significance of your work to the "national interest"

citations are not that important, especially since they dont consider normal citations seriously anyways. But you can still mention them. Of vourse if you quoted or if your article is talked about somewhere, then that is wotrt emphasizing strongly. It is important that you fulfill atlesast 2 of the 5 criteria very well, rather than all the criteria poorly. Order the criteria that you fulfill according to their strength, i.e., the best one first....

I would also suggest going with OR as well, but filing thte I485 with NIW

good luck

GoEagles said:
Congrats focus 1...

I learnt that your petition was approved in 2 months, nice touch!

I am putting up an NIW petition (thru lawyer) at VSC...My credentials are: currently postdoc, 20 publication (15 in top-class journals in my subject), 2 of them are invited, one book chapter, 30+ conference papers, 25+ citations, 15+ recommendation letters (only 4 are from know people, rest are from people I hv not worked: 8+ from US, 4+ from other countries), reviewed >15 papers for various reputed journals, reviewed few grant proposals for national and international funding agencies...

I would like to take your opinion on things that I should or should not do as you have recently gone thru the process! Any other advice would be equally appreciated...

Thanks...

Thank you guys for your input, greatly appreciated...

One of the reasons for lower citations is that most of my papers appeared in 2004, few in 2003, and many earlier this year...I was thinking to wait til end of the year when I have more citations but it appears that there r other more imp things than this, so will give it a shot!

Cheers...

LUD is the Last Updated Date

There's an online case tracking system where you can check your case status. I was just wondering if you got any LUD change between the receipt date and the approval date.

weakunix said:
There's an online case tracking system where you can check your case status. I was just wondering if you got any LUD change between the receipt date and the approval date.

not really, it only showed the initial receipt information, and the next update was the approval.

but cant I ever find out what LUD is for??? ugghhhh