NIW Reference Letters

creados

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I have some very strong reference letters that are not addressed specifically to the USCIS. Will they suffice, or do I need letters that are addressed to the USCIS?

Thanks and Regards,
Sylvester

Who are they addressed to? To "To Whom It May Concern"? Or to other institutions?

Or do you mean only that the USCIS address is not on the top of the letter?

No, they won't! The person who writes the letter should clearly state that your work is in the area of national interest and you are strongly eligible for Green Card through NIW.

No, they won't! The person who writes the letter should clearly state that your work is in the area of national interest and you are strongly eligible for Green Card through NIW.

Hi,

The work that I have done is in the area of Biometrics and Secure ID. The letter clearly says that I have done work on the same. I have an award from the State of Washington because it helped them to meet their requirements.

The referees no longer work for the same organization. I would like to use their letters, with the letter head for the purpose of the NIW application. However, they do not state that anything about NIW, GC, etc. Letters themself, show that the work is of national importance.

Please let me know, if I need to have them mention NIW, GC, etc. and whether I can use the letters that are addressed "To whom it may concern".

Thanks and Regards,
Sylvester

In my application, I attached a complete CV for every reference, so it may seem less critical to have good letterheads if the adjudicator has access to such information. The letters themselves should explicitly mention how the reference is qualified to evaluate your abilities and accomplishments vis a vis the national interest.

If the choice is between an impressive letterhead and a letter containing exactly the magic words "national interest" etc., then I would go for the latter. (Thus, my issue is not so much that the letters are addressed to "To Whom It May Concern", but that they aren't explicit enough in addressing your national interest waiver case.) The letters have to be crystal clear in arguing that you serve the national interest; in my letters, for instance, my references addressed quite explicitly the listed requirements for NIW.

Besides, how bad are their current organizations anyway? Their current letterheads should be ok. Do remember to attach a CV with every letter.

In their letters, they'll have to write about their qualifications and why they are eligible to judge your achievements for NIW application.

In the paragraph introducing themselves, ask them to write their past affiliations and achievements and that will be good enough.

I have a strong reco letter from a ex-manger at government agency but it was general reco letter and my lawyer said the latter has no to very little value and told me not to submit it.

The problem that I am facing is that the company that the referees work for has a policy that they cannot give reference letters for a specific cause. However, the nature of the work is such that the national interest can be easily deduced. e.g. I have worked on the Energy Management System, which deals with the utilities Electric Grid and the US National Electric grid, I have worked in the California Solar Initiative which was sponsored by the Department of Energy and I have worked in an Advanced Metering Initiative that deals with Energy Efficiency and conservation of green house gases.

Another area I have worked on and have reference letters but not addressed to the USCIS and no words that state National Interest Waiver. But, the work is in Biometrics and Secured ID. I have received a certificate from the DOL Washington state for the work. The work that I have carried out is used by law enforcement agencies in the US. Also the Department of Homeland Security has established the guidelines for the same.

Based on the fact that I have worked in these areas and the generic reference letters, can I apply for National Interest Waiver? Or do I need to go through the Labor Certification route?

Having non-specific reference letters should NOT prevent you from applying for NIW. In my opinion, based on what you've said about your qualifications, it should be easy for you to argue for NIW.

You could make a cohesive argument for NIW in your own cover letter. Quote extensively from your reference letters, and make sure you emphasize the qualifications of your references. In this way, you could put the letters in the context of the NIW requirements.

Good luck!