NIW petition length

aak3058

Registered Users (C)
NIW cover letter length

Hi all,
could those of you whose NIW petition was APPROVED share the size of your cover letter, please? I wonder whether the size of the petition is critical and therefore want to have some statistically significant information on this :)

Thanks a lot!

Last edited by a moderator:
I beleive size doesnot matter.
Content should be effective.
its fine....if effective content is increasing volume of packet !!!

how much is "too large" for a petition?

Dear eb1doc,
I would like to know whether your consideration (which seems completely correct to a reasonable person) works in reality. Therefore, it would be great if those who have their NIW petition APPROVED, let us know how long their petitions were.

Your replies are greatly appreciated!

Clarity And Strength Of Argument, Not Length

Comparing my NIW petition (approved in less than 2 months at VSC) to others in this forum, I've come to realize that clarity and strength in argument trump length. I barely have publications (<10), a few citations (<20), etc., but my lawyer (along with my letters of reference) convincingly argued for NIW, directly and explicitly answering each and every requirement for the NIW petition.

Everything has to be consistent: if arguing for NIW, make sure every other sentence in your application packet SCREAMS national interest. If arguing for EB-1A, it should SCREAM extraordinary ability. Learn from everyone's RFE in this forum: don't give them any phrase, any sentence, any less than stellar reference letter that will give them the smallest reason to REJECT/RFE.

Therefore:
1. in presenting evidence, be crystal clear how each piece of evidence answers the requirements for the specific petition;
2. make sure each and every evidence directly and adequately responds to the requirements.

DO NOT INCLUDE ANY WEAK LETTERS, WEAK EVIDENCE OF SCHOLARSHIP OR MEMBERSHIP-- THE LONGER YOUR APPLICATION IS, THE MORE HOLES THEY CAN POTENTIALLY FIND.

(I'm not a lawyer, of course; take this advice accordingly.)

GOOD LUCK!!

I agree with tampa!
Don't leave any weak letters and supporting documents and give officer chance. I got my EB1-OR approved recently and I beleive it was not size but
well drafted letters which did the trick. I got atleast 25 letters but in the end didn't send 7. Your resume (publication/reviwers/mettings/memberships) can make your case strong but you have to give them what they want.
intrinsic merit/national interest/your unique skills & proving tird prong is key for NIW. I have withdrawn my NIW petition after EB1-OR approval.

Repeating the question

Dear all,
Thanks for the replies and suggestions.
Actually, my question for the approved NIW-ers is simple:

"HOW MANY PAGES WAS YOUR NIW PETITION"

This is the only thing I would like to know at the moment.
Hope to see some replies to THE question.

Sincerely,
aak3058.

how many pages?

including reference letters? published papers? papers that cite your work? These elements are highly variable from applicant to applicant.

In other words, I think the variance on this one will be so wide, the "average" length of approved NIW petitions is bound to be statistically indistinguishable from non-successful ones.

How many pages is the cover letter?

tampaboy,
thanks for pointing out the problem with the question.
I mean the LENGTH of the COVER LETTER only.
I understand number of references, evidences etc. are very variable in length.

The reason I am asking this question is that a lawyer I am consulting with claims that a petition is doomed to fail (or at best cause RFE) if the cover letter is more than 10 pages. According to the lawyer, an officer just does not have enough time to read through a longer cover letter thoughtfully and therefore will not understand the points we try to make.

This is why I would greatly appreciate the input from the colleagues who were successful with their petitions.

Thanks!

length of cover letter

OK, now we're talking. YES, I will side with your lawyer and make the cover letter of appropriate length. Is this your cover letter or your lawyer's? My (successful) cover letter was only 4.5 pages. However, my lawyer's cover letter is about 10 pages, but it outlined and summarized (in itemized form) the evidence in terms of each requirement for the NIW petition. Even though the lawyer's cover letter is lengthy, it was easy to read and follow, as it was more like an outline rather than heavy prose.

GOOD LUCK!!

Two letters??

Tampaboy,

Do you mean you gave two letters to USCIS - one prepared by you and other prepared by your lawyer...? Please suggest...

Two Letters!

A cover letter from me, summarizing my background, my research, impact of my work, etc..

A letter from my lawyer, essentially summarizing and organizing the evidence in crystal-clear format. The letter is organized in terms of the requirements of the NIW. Evidence for each requirement is outlined, and how each evidence responds to the requirements is discussed in clear terms. Of course, things like reference letters will fulfill more than one requirement, so it'll appear more than once, but make sure the parts of the reference letters which answer the requirement specifically are quoted explicitly.

I think a crucial key to successful NIW petitions (or EB-1A for that matter) is the clarity of presentation. It's hard to alter one's resume and work, but one area that can be improved tremendously is how you present the evidence.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL!!