NIW field

jcsd

Registered Users (C)
Please help:

I have a very diverse background: BS, MS in chemistry, did the research in material and inorganic chemistry. PhD in Medicinal chemistry. Currently Postdoc in the basic research of anti-cancer drug discovery.
I decide to apply for NIW in the "medicinal chemistry, drug discovery" field. I do not have very impressive publication for this area, 2 first author, one 3rd, and a pending patent.
I have couple of papers from MS and BS work, and they are pretty good. The MS work can be somewhat related to drug mechanism.
Please give me some suggestion on how to prepare my case, should I put most weight on my current "drug discovery" or spend some effort on previous accomplishments, which is not very related to my current filed?
thank you very much!!! :)

jcsd said:
Please help:

I have a very diverse background: BS, MS in chemistry, did the research in material and inorganic chemistry. PhD in Medicinal chemistry. Currently Postdoc in the basic research of anti-cancer drug discovery.
I decide to apply for NIW in the "medicinal chemistry, drug discovery" field. I do not have very impressive publication for this area, 2 first author, one 3rd, and a pending patent.
I have couple of papers from MS and BS work, and they are pretty good. The MS work can be somewhat related to drug mechanism.
Please give me some suggestion on how to prepare my case, should I put most weight on my current "drug discovery" or spend some effort on previous accomplishments, which is not very related to my current filed?
thank you very much!!! :)

You have to choose the part which is relevant for "National interest". In NIW it is not that important to show that you have 258 papers as a first author (but obviously it doesn't hurt) but you have to show that you have abilities in a special field that are essential for a project/work which would significantly slowed down if a person with LC and minimal reauirements would be hired instead of you. I think sffamily explained it very good in this thread:
http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=172506

"So, if taking LC process, other candidate with MINIMUM qualification will take the role, and he cannot meet the project requirement, and the project cannot be finished as expected(in terms of both time and the results), the national interest will then be adversely affected, so only I can do it and not adversely affecting the National Interest, hence the exemption of LC is of National Interest."

Honkman, thank you so much!

Should I also list my publications that is not directed related to the "national Interest" in my CV?
thanks!

jcsd.

jcsd said:
Honkman, thank you so much!

Should I also list my publications that is not directed related to the "national Interest" in my CV?
thanks!

jcsd.

Why not ? A publication is a publication

honkman said:
Why not ? A publication is a publication

Honkman:

I if have a publication in a journal with a high impact, but not related to my NIW field, do you think I can include that as supporting evidence in case of RFE?

Thanks

Sept03NIW

Hi Honkman,

I also have this kind of question. In my early days, I published a paper which was cited more than 50 times, but nothing to do with the "national interest". While my current research is much of the "national interest", I do not have many paper or citations for it.
thanks!!!
jcsd

Sept03NIW and jcsd,

I would try to get any kind of connection between these papers and your NIW case. If this is not possible I still would include those papers since in NIW you have more or less also to satisfy the EA criteria and papers with a lot of citations and high impact factor will help you. ( I assume that this papers are not in your NIW field but still in the big picture are still related, e.g. your NIW field is biology related and those papers are also biology related. )

honkman said:
Sept03NIW and jcsd,

I would try to get any kind of connection between these papers and your NIW case. If this is not possible I still would include those papers since in NIW you have more or less also to satisfy the EA criteria and papers with a lot of citations and high impact factor will help you. ( I assume that this papers are not in your NIW field but still in the big picture are still related, e.g. your NIW field is biology related and those papers are also biology related. )

Thanks ---- thats a great suggestion.