NIW approved (VSC March,2003). What should I do next? Please help!

abbelf

Registered Users (C)
My employer first filed EB1-OR for in Oct., 2002. Then my lawyer filed I-485 in Dec., 2002 associated with OR petition. Knowing that I have to move to a new job with my boss in Aug., 2003, I submitted NIW in Mar., 2003 by myself. My OR case got denied this Sept, so did my I-485 application. And I cannot track my NIW case either online or through phone with my receipt number. I totally gave up any hope and didn't care about my NIW case any more. Yesterday, I received my NIW approval notice surprisingly. :)

Now I am preparing to submit I-485 again using my NIW approval. My question is since I have changed my job (but still in the same research field), I can only get an employment letter from my new employer, which is different from the information I filled in Part 6 of NIW-140 form. Should I write something in my cover letter to explain the situation or just don't say anything about it? Will I be fine with it? Should I hire a lawyer again in this case? I don't like my old lawyer and don't want to contact him any more. Now my heart is full of hope again and also fear. Please give me some advice! Any advice would be appreciated.

Another small question is the A-number. I got an A-number from the previous I-485 application, so did my husband. Shall we use this A-number in the new I-485 application or leave it blank as before?

Thank you.

Hire a good lawyer

with an approved I-140 a lawyer should not charge you a lot for the I-485 step. I think you must find a good lawyer and not risk loosing everything for saving some money. I don't have any specific answers to your questions but that's why you want a lawyer to handle this.
You should spend some time and interview a few of them. Any reputable one will not charge you for the initial consultation. If they do, run away from them, they just want your money. Good luck, you should be fine, I-140 is the bottleneck. I-485 is just a question of time now, but be sure to do it right!

Thank you for your advice, antonl. I am considering to hire a lawyer. Do you have any idea what's the reasonable range for I-485 step? My previous lawyer charged me $800 for OR I-140, which looks very cheap, but he did nothing except for editing 3 reference letters for me. He didn't even write a cover letter. He charged me $1000 for I-485 (have to pay him $1200 later if get I485 approved). I felt very bad about him. That's why I did NIW by self petition. Can somebody here recommend a good lawyer around Baltimore area or New York City to me? My husband is studying in NYC, I am working in Baltimore. So lawyers in both areas are fine for us.

antonl said:
with an approved I-140 a lawyer should not charge you a lot for the I-485 step. I think you must find a good lawyer and not risk loosing everything for saving some money. I don't have any specific answers to your questions but that's why you want a lawyer to handle this.
You should spend some time and interview a few of them. Any reputable one will not charge you for the initial consultation. If they do, run away from them, they just want your money. Good luck, you should be fine, I-140 is the bottleneck. I-485 is just a question of time now, but be sure to do it right!

Don't waste a dime on lawyers! I-485 is so simple to fill and submit, it will take you only a few hours to do it. USCIS has given very clear instructions as to how to fill and complete I-485. Don't be afraid to do it yourself :)

Most of the people who file I-485 through attorneys only do so because lawyers like to tie to I-140. The form itself is short and simple and you'll have no trouble filing it yourself. Keep the same A#, and don't forget to get a new physical. As to the employer letter I imagine you don't need it very much since yours is a self-petitioned case. If you want to atach it anyway -get him to write something very simple like "Such-n-such has been employed by XXX since XX.XX.XXXx in the capacity of xx. This position is substatially similar to his previous position at WWW." That should be enough.