NIW Appeal Approved

nobigdeal

Registered Users (C)
I am happy to share the news that I received the decision letter from AAO that they approved my NIW appeal. I was very worried since I noticed LUDs on both I-140 and I-290B last Friday and this Monday but no approval email as normally expected according to my lawyer. I guess they just forgot to update the computer file properly. The following is my story:

I have a Ph.D. in Nuclear and Particle Physics from MIT. I applied for NIW in April, 2003 then I-485's in March 2004. In initial application, I did not know anything about this business, followed the instructions of the lawyer and assumed everything should be fine. I collected 8 letters from my advisors, collaborators, National Lab staffs, etc. all have some connection with my project. The lawyer did not ask for citation history, which became the primary ground for denial. I received the denial letters for all cases together in January 2005 without RFE. I was so frustrated and started to read things on internet and began to understand the rules of this game. On appeal, I sent two independent letters stating that they implemented my research results in their own research. Also two letters from the collaboration leaders stating my contribution to the project were significant. Due to nature of these large scale accelerator physics experiments, our papers all have a whole page of author names, which was the secondary reason for denial. CIS like papers with just 3-5 authors, but it is impossible in my field. I also send a letter from the President of my current company stating my accomplishments since I joined the firm. More importantly, I submitted the citation index showing about 400 citations, which is pretty common for articles published on Physical Review Letters, the highest journal in physics which CIS apparently does not know. They only know Nature, Science, which mostly report the popular or hot topics such as biotech, nano-tech. Anyway, in the decision letter, they still dislike the numerous authors, but the letters cleared their mind that it is necessary and I contribute significant as an individual. It's been a long wait in frustration, 31 months, compared to recent 31 hours approvals. Now I am waiting for the official approval notice from VSC and plan to ask them to re-open I-485's. Although the visa number is not available now, since it was VSC who mistakenly denied them, it is reasonable to ask for re-opening them, am I correct? Please share your opinion. I can really use some AP and EAD for my wife now :)

Comrades, please do not lose hope. As long as you play the game according to their rules, everything will turn out to be fine.

Congrats

nobigdeal said:
Does anybody know if it is allowed to re-open 485 when visa number is not available now?

First, CONGRATS for the approval....that is a great news.

I have a question for you. How much time did AAO took to decide on your appeal? My appeal date is May 2nd and I am still waiting. When called the cust. service person told that the file is in Washignton...and did not provide any further deatils or did not allow to put an enquiry. If you faced similar type of situation, please let me know how to to go about it.

Thanks a lot

Congrats!!

Congratulations!!
I am also waiting for my NIW at VSC since summer. getting Nervous..

JANHK said:
First, CONGRATS for the approval....that is a great news.

I have a question for you. How much time did AAO took to decide on your appeal? My appeal date is May 2nd and I am still waiting. When called the cust. service person told that the file is in Washignton...and did not provide any further deatils or did not allow to put an enquiry. If you faced similar type of situation, please let me know how to to go about it.

Thanks a lot

Thanks. Appeal was sent on Feb. 4th and case was transfered to AAO on March 9th. AAO publishes its processing time once a quarter and last couple of updates were 5-6 months for EB-2. For me, it took 8 months. Once your case is at AAO, there is no way to check status. But the good thing about AAO compared to service centers is that they really process cases with the order of receiving time at their office. By reading this year's AAO decisions and also some info from lawyer's office, they are not that picky and approved quite a few NIW cases recently. So keep your hope high and more importantly good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations

It seems that it is critial to have citations as well as the proof of the applications of the work. I have 50 citations for a fourth-authored paper. Is it ok? Thanks.

nobigdeal said:
I am happy to share the news that I received the decision letter from AAO that they approved my NIW appeal. I was very worried since I noticed LUDs on both I-140 and I-290B last Friday and this Monday but no approval email as normally expected according to my lawyer. I guess they just forgot to update the computer file properly. The following is my story:

I have a Ph.D. in Nuclear and Particle Physics from MIT. I applied for NIW in April, 2003 then I-485's in March 2004. In initial application, I did not know anything about this business, followed the instructions of the lawyer and assumed everything should be fine. I collected 8 letters from my advisors, collaborators, National Lab staffs, etc. all have some connection with my project. The lawyer did not ask for citation history, which became the primary ground for denial. I received the denial letters for all cases together in January 2005 without RFE. I was so frustrated and started to read things on internet and began to understand the rules of this game. On appeal, I sent two independent letters stating that they implemented my research results in their own research. Also two letters from the collaboration leaders stating my contribution to the project were significant. Due to nature of these large scale accelerator physics experiments, our papers all have a whole page of author names, which was the secondary reason for denial. CIS like papers with just 3-5 authors, but it is impossible in my field. I also send a letter from the President of my current company stating my accomplishments since I joined the firm. More importantly, I submitted the citation index showing about 400 citations, which is pretty common for articles published on Physical Review Letters, the highest journal in physics which CIS apparently does not know. They only know Nature, Science, which mostly report the popular or hot topics such as biotech, nano-tech. Anyway, in the decision letter, they still dislike the numerous authors, but the letters cleared their mind that it is necessary and I contribute significant as an individual. It's been a long wait in frustration, 31 months, compared to recent 31 hours approvals. Now I am waiting for the official approval notice from VSC and plan to ask them to re-open I-485's. Although the visa number is not available now, since it was VSC who mistakenly denied them, it is reasonable to ask for re-opening them, am I correct? Please share your opinion. I can really use some AP and EAD for my wife now :)

Comrades, please do not lose hope. As long as you play the game according to their rules, everything will turn out to be fine.

zhaohui said:
It seems that it is critial to have citations as well as the proof of the applications of the work. I have 50 citations for a fourth-authored paper. Is it ok? Thanks.

If you read AAO decisions on their website, 50 seems to be a sufficient number to them.