Newbie's NIW question

Steven_C

I am referred to this site from online forum. I am in the stage of doing research for my NIW.

My situation: I had a Ph.D. in Environmental Engineering earlier this year and my field is actually isotope biogeochemistry and water quality. For the past 1.5 years, I have been working as a postdoc researcher in another university in the field of environmental analytical chemistry and instrument analysis. Starting from this fall, my current lab was award a research grant from US DoD on the development of chemical weapon detection systems. I was supported by this grant but was remotely related to the project because of my non-citizen status.

My question is what I should do in my NIW application regard of changing field. I understand that touting my contribution to research related to homeland security and defense would be a selling point. But how can I do with my doctoral research and my expertise on environmental field?

I am sorry for the long post and would greatly appreciate your help.

My experience

Hi,

I have done my NIW and 485 in August 2005. From my experience, what field
and lab/university/company are NOT so important (of course, I believe top
universities/institutes will be viewed highly trustworthy). What is looked by
CIS is your qualification. Even if you are working in a national lab and the lab
is heavily related to US homeland security but you are NOT acting in the lab
as an important role, there is no use.

Please search more in the forum and you definitely will find the criteria for
NIW. Changing of field from PhD to current is not a big deal. The knowledge,
training and research experience are the basis for what you are doing.

I hope it might be of some help.

Steven_C said:
I am referred to this site from online forum. I am in the stage of doing research for my NIW.

My situation: I had a Ph.D. in Environmental Engineering earlier this year and my field is actually isotope biogeochemistry and water quality. For the past 1.5 years, I have been working as a postdoc researcher in another university in the field of environmental analytical chemistry and instrument analysis. Starting from this fall, my current lab was award a research grant from US DoD on the development of chemical weapon detection systems. I was supported by this grant but was remotely related to the project because of my non-citizen status.

My question is what I should do in my NIW application regard of changing field. I understand that touting my contribution to research related to homeland security and defense would be a selling point. But how can I do with my doctoral research and my expertise on environmental field?

I am sorry for the long post and would greatly appreciate your help.

Hi, InHopes, thanks a lot for your reply. Congratulations on your recent GC. Did you hire a lawyer or just DIY?

Thanks! I wish your the best luck.

I have a lawyer which I signed the contract with him in late 2002. I stopped
processing NIW since my wife's company was doing the same thing. But later
I decided to resume it in late 2004, and finallized all doc's in early 2005. I am
from China so I used Fan (www.fan-law.com). He was good at first but I lost
direct contact with him later. Instead, one of his assistant handled my case
and I was satisfied with her cover letter writing.

Steven_C said:
Hi, InHopes, thanks a lot for your reply. Congratulations on your recent GC. Did you hire a lawyer or just DIY?