Newbie Question

padmanu

Registered Users (C)
Happy New Year and Greetings everyone.

Hi, I am Srinivasa. I got my GC in Feb 2002, so I guess I have
become eligible for the Naturalization process.

Could any one please briefly let me know the process and how long does it take. I live in the Bay Area in CA. Would be better if I go thru an attorney
instead of going it alone?

Thanks in advance

Srinivasa Sunchu

It takes anywhere between a few months (some folks seem to have been able to do it in 3 or 4 months lately, though "6 months" is the target) to a few years. It depends on a lot of things.

Unless you have some unusual circumstance (e.g. arrests, convictions, etc in your background), you should not need a lawyer. I engaged a lawyer only because I have a "legal plan" at work (and all the lawyer did was review my form and make a few minor comments).

Go to the USCIS site, download the N-400 form and its instructions. Then download the "Guide to Naturalization". The instructions and the guide should tell you pretty much all you need to know. If not, come here and ask.

Thanks Flydog, will do that. By "Legal Plan" do you mean that
it is benefit that you get from your employer?

Srinivasa

I pay $N.00 per paycheck and I get access to a variety of legal services (including "telephone support" for immigration issues).

Flydog,

Mine is a pretty much straight forward case. I am planning the following supporting documentation should be sufficient for N-400.

1. Photocopies of PR Card
2. Photographs
3. Check
4. Marraiage Certificate
5. IRS Tax Return Transcripts for last 3 years
(If I try to obtain them after I file 2006 taxes, would I get the transcripts
for 2006, 2005 and 2004 or 05,04,03?)

Thanks
Srinivasa

padmanu said:
Flydog,

Mine is a pretty much straight forward case. I am planning the following supporting documentation should be sufficient for N-400.

1. Photocopies of PR Card
2. Photographs
3. Check
4. Marraiage Certificate
5. IRS Tax Return Transcripts for last 3 years
(If I try to obtain them after I file 2006 taxes, would I get the transcripts
for 2006, 2005 and 2004 or 05,04,03?)

Thanks
Srinivasa
Why do you need a marraige certificate?
Does N-400 says you need to file for irs tax return transcripts?
How many photographs do you need?

Check the "Document Checklist" in the "A Guide to Naturalization" pdf on
the USCIS web site.

It looks as in your case you don't need the marriage certificate or the IRS transcript. As you say if your case is straightforward you don't need to file this with your N-400.

This is not legal advice(TM).

My 2 cents.

I am pasting this from the Naturalization Guide, It is partials.

----------- Start ---------------------------------------------------
Send COPIES of the following documents, unless we ask for an original.
If an attorney or accredited representative is acting on your behalf, send:
q A completed original Form G-28, “Notice of Entry of Appearance as Attorney or Representative.”
If your current legal name is different from the name on your Permanent Resident Card, send:
q The document(s) that legally changed your name (marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court document).
If you are applying for naturalization on the basis of marriage to a U.S. citizen, send the following 4 things:
1. Evidence that your spouse has been a U.S. citizen for the last 3 years:
• birth certificate (if your spouse never lost citizenship since birth), OR
• naturalization certificate, OR
• certificate of citizenship, OR
• the inside of the front cover and signature page of your spouse’s current U.S. passport, OR
• Form FS240, “Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America”
2. Your current marriage certificate; AND
3. Proof of termination of ALL prior marriages of your spouse (divorce decree(s), annulment(s), or death certificate(s)); AND
4. Documents referring to you and your spouse:
• tax returns, bank accounts, leases, mortgages, or birth certificates of children, OR
• IRS-certified copies of the income tax forms that you both filed for the past 3 years, OR
• an IRS tax return transcript for the last 3 years.

---------- End -------------------------------------------------------

Based on the above I thought I should send the Marriage Cert and IRS Tax Transcripts

Am I wrong?

Srinivasa

Are you applying on the basis of marriage? I assumed that as you are saying you've been a resident since Feb 2002 that you're applying based on being a resident for 5 years, in which case you don't need the marriage certificate or the tax papers.

For applicants based on 5 years, I think these are the minimum documents needed:
1. A photocopy of both sides of your Permanent Resident Card (
Card”). If you have lost the card, submit a photocopy of the receipt
Receipt Card;
2. Two (2) identical color photographs, with your name and “A”
about the photo requirements, see part 5 of A Guide to Naturalization
application. Do not wear eyeglasses or earrings for the photo.
your facial features and your right ear must still be exposed in
3. A check or money order for the application fee and the fingerprinting
enclosure in the Guide. (Applicants 75 years of age or older are
your “A” number on the back of the check or money order.

Please read carefully all the other "If" cases for additional documents needed, like for arrests and things like that.

My 2 cents.

I am applying based on 5 years not marriage.

Another question, I am signing diffrently than how it is on my drivers license
from CA, which i got it about 2 years back.

Does it make any diffrence?

Thanks

The instructions for completing the N-400 tell you to "sign" (write) your full name in cursive, rather than sign shorthand like you might a credit card slip. I guess therefore it'd be reasonable to assume the signature will not look like your normal one.

Huracan said:
Are you applying on the basis of marriage? I assumed that as you are saying you've been a resident since Feb 2002 that you're applying based on being a resident for 5 years, in which case you don't need the marriage certificate or the tax papers.

For applicants based on 5 years, I think these are the minimum documents needed:
1. A photocopy of both sides of your Permanent Resident Card (
Card”). If you have lost the card, submit a photocopy of the receipt
Receipt Card;
2. Two (2) identical color photographs, with your name and “A”
about the photo requirements, see part 5 of A Guide to Naturalization
application. Do not wear eyeglasses or earrings for the photo.
your facial features and your right ear must still be exposed in
3. A check or money order for the application fee and the fingerprinting
enclosure in the Guide. (Applicants 75 years of age or older are
your “A” number on the back of the check or money order.

Please read carefully all the other "If" cases for additional documents needed, like for arrests and things like that.

My 2 cents.
Are you saying if I am not applying through marriage then I don't need the IRS tax filing papers? But in N-400 I see that you have to tell where you were employed during the last 5 years since getting the green card, so I was assuming you also need IRS filing transcripts. But from what you said I get that you mean unless you are applying on the basis of marriage then you don't need IRS filing transcripts? Is that correct?

I think what he meant was that you don't have to submit tax transcripts with your initial N-400 submission, unless required. The three items he has listed are the absolute minimum requirements for all applicants. Beyond that, you will need to go through the entire check list and carefully see whether the 'If' clauses apply to you. If they do, then you need to submit the appropriate additional documentation. If you look at the instructions, that's pretty much what is expected of an applicant.

For instance, you may fill out your date of birth, but that does not mean you need to submit your birth certificate. Similar logic for jobs and tax transcripts. I am sure most people keep their tax transcripts handy just in case. These are good to have with you during the interview. Most people seem to submit only what is needed, to keep things simple, and have other items handy if asked for during the interview. What all you actually submit is your own decision. This is not legal advice.

Regards.

Sammy

I think samosa1 has summed it up beautifully. Some people take tax return documents to the interview. I think most of the time it is wasted effort, as they are not asked for during the interview.

My 2 cents.