Newark NJ N400 experience

brownbear

The timeline:
Applied in January 2003, Fingerprinted in April 2003. Interview and oath was yesterday Feb 3, 2004.

Interview was in Newark, NJ. No problem finding parking there - plenty of lots nearby. The appointment letter required us (wife and myself) to report at 8am.

The waiting room on the 13th floor was packed with people and very warm. Lots of anxious people studying the 100 question list :)

Both of our interviews were at about 8:45. The interview was fine and I passed the test but when I showed my passport, the officer said that it was too new! Its only a year old. She wanted to see the previous passport as well (to verify entries and departures from the US I guess). I suppose I should have thought of this but in my defence, the letter only asked for the current passport!

Fortunately, the officer was very pleasant, she suggested that I go home immediately and bring the old passport. Since I live within 20 miles of Newark, this was not a big problem. I then ran home and brought the old passport which she looked through and gave her approval.

At about 1pm, our names were called, we signed the certificates and were told to go to the 16th floor for the oath ceremony. The ceremony itself started at about 2pm. After taking the oath with about 100 other applicants, we were handed our naturalization certificates immediately.

From what I read here, other centers do not seem to operate in this way. It was certainly gratifying to have everything completed in one day.

I pass my inteview in Newwark NJ, on 9 of January,my fingerprints epired 3 days before my interview.
I went on the 14 JAN and yesterday 3 FEB i received a letter stated :Congratulations Bla Bla ect.I'm waiting for my Oath letter and i would like to know how long i have to wait .
PD 08/19/2002
FP 10/05/2002
interview 01/09/2004
Received letter 02/03/2004(Congratulations ect)
Apply under President Bush Executive Order
My green card was cancel

I pass my interview on 01/09/04 and i received on 02/03/04 my oath letter and on 02/05/04 i received a letter from BCIS stated I received the request to drop my n-400 for naturalization ect.The next day i went to see my lawyer and he went to the local bcis with me.He address the issue with the supervisor and she said i was a mistake.
I think BCIS is a big mess.

Hi Patrick

Is the Oath letter you received still valid? what is your Oath date?

Thanks,

Ratrat