Newark, NJ - N-400 Timeline

Mt. Laurel Interview

Went for interview yesteraday.
Since my interview date was few days prior 5 year completion, officer 1) Went over the application 2)Took US history test and then suggested that everything is ok and he will approve and mail the case on Monday. For oath They were not doing any at Mt. Laurel on that day and suggested that everone will be part of big oath ceremony scheduled for Sep26th or Oct 2nd in Trenton.

My wife's case was similar however office approved the case and assigned Oath ceremony for Sep 26th.

All is Good, should be done in next few weeks.

mailarvin,
i have ID tomorrow 09/10/09 in Mt. Laurel DO in the morning 9.05am. is it easy to get parking over there? and oath will not be in the same day???? I heard Mt.Laurel would be same day? is it depends on case or they dont do same day oath?

Thanks
Sreeni

Oci

Thanks for the explanation. I am not Indian, hence I was unfamiliar with the meaning.

OCI is Overseas Citizenship of India but actually it is life time visa and NOT citizenship.
If one is eligible for OCI and send his/her application for OCI to Indian consulate/ Indian embassy then that application goes to New Delhi. Once the ministry gets the application they scan the documents and online status is in steps:
OCI application received.
Documents Scanned
Documents printed
Granted
Documents dispatched (to Indian consulate…)
Documents received at (Indian consulate….) once you see the documents received at consulate then one can send passport for OCI to Consulate or can go directly to Indian Consulate with US passport and Indian passport. They will stamp U visa in passport and will cancel Indian passport and you will also get OCI booklet. You can visit any Indian consulate website and can read about OCI process.

Citizenship approved

09/10/2009 - My N-400 was approved and the oath ceremony was completed yesterday afternoon at Newark.

A couple of things -

• A few people got their children along - So, I would assume that small children are okay
  • There was a wait time of nearly two hours - people who got in at 8:00 AM went in at for their interviews at 10:00 AM. I would assume that you should be prepared to wait.
  • Oath ceremonies are held 3 times a day
  • Food at the cafeteria on the second floor was so-so.
  • If you have an interview - relax, prepare yourself for the wait and smile. I know one would be nervous - but relax

I will be applying for my passport today.

Good Luck

Can you share the experience paperwork what they are looking for civic test just in general anything would be helpfull.

09/10/2009 - My N-400 was approved and the oath ceremony was completed yesterday afternoon at Newark.

A couple of things -

• A few people got their children along - So, I would assume that small children are okay
  • There was a wait time of nearly two hours - people who got in at 8:00 AM went in at for their interviews at 10:00 AM. I would assume that you should be prepared to wait.
  • Oath ceremonies are held 3 times a day
  • Food at the cafeteria on the second floor was so-so.
  • If you have an interview - relax, prepare yourself for the wait and smile. I know one would be nervous - but relax

I will be applying for my passport today.

Good Luck

Virtuoso, please elaborate on the datails, what floor was your interview on? 14 or 15? and of course the whole experience, were they friedly, were you marriage based or 5 year? and what documents and questions were you asked??

The experience was a pleasant one. Paperwork - I noticed that the file in the hands of the officer had the USPS postal envelope that I sent my application in.

I had travelled once after I filed for my citizenship - the details of the trip were requested.

Officer asked me if I was willing to bear arms in the defense of US. I said yes - he then asked me to repeat what that sentence means.

Lastly, he asked me, what I do for a living. One last word - the more confident you look, the easier it is for the officer and yourself

Can you share the experience paperwork what they are looking for civic test just in general anything would be helpfull.

Interview in Mt.Laurel DO

I had interview and oath y'day . It went so smooth. just 12mts interview was done.
I had 9.05AM schedule called me 8.55AM. I was out by 9.12AM. they called me back
3.15PM same day for oath. oath took around 35mts.
every thing went so smooth.
they did ask any info about traffic tkts.
In my IL they mensioned Selective service letter.
but IO checked my DOB and GC date and said not required.
whole citizen process took 3 months. very short ):-

I need to submit application for passport.

applied around mid june .
FP july 18th.
ID - 09/10/09

My interview was on 15th floor. No additional documents were requested - your green card, your "old" passport and the driving license.

I filed for n-400 after 5 years (employment based). Of course, the officers were professional, pleasant and courteous

Virtuoso, please elaborate on the datails, what floor was your interview on? 14 or 15? and of course the whole experience, were they friedly, were you marriage based or 5 year? and what documents and questions were you asked??

Here is my interview experience

My appointment was 9:00 am and I reached Newark office around 7:40am. Went through security and reached 14th floor. Dropped the interview letter at the window and waited to be called. IO called my name at 8:30 am (IO made a comment "why you came so early" but he said that's ok).

Officer went through "tell the truth stuff...". He started reviewing my N-400 form and went through

Any trips - I said yes and I volunteer to provide addition sheet but IO said don't need
Still married - Yes
How many children - Answered
Do you owe any taxes - Said no and volunteer to provide transcripts but IO said don't need
Any membership - Said no
Do you support the Constitution - Yes
Willing to take full Oath - Yes
Will you bear the arms for the country - Yes

Asked me to sign the form

Reading test with when is Columbus Day celebrated.
Writing test "Columbus day is in October"

Civic test

1. What did the declaration of independence do?
2. Name one branch or part of the government?
3. We elect a U.S. Senator for how many years?
4. If both the President and the Vice President can no longer serve, who becomes President?
5. What does the President's cabinet do?

Forgot 6 question

I answered first 6 correctly. The IO stopped and gave me the letter said congratulation, you passed the exam and I am recommending you for citizenship. IO asked me to wait to be called for Oath. Around 11:00 am they called and took me to 15th floor. One thing I realized that 14th floor was having few people compare to 15th floor where as over crowded. Not sure why they are giving 14th floor for some people.

Called my name and asked me to sign the certificate and took my GC. After few minutes they took us to a different room for Oath.

After some intro they gave us Oath and called names of individuals to give certificate. I was out before 12:00 noon.

I carried following documents

Basic Documents
Original current passport - Didn't ask
Original expired passport - Didn't ask
Original Green Card - Didn't ask
Original Interview letter - Didn't ask
Original yellow letter - Didn't ask
Original NJ Driver's license - Didn't ask
Original Social Security Card - Didn't ask
N400 copy submitted to USCIS - Didn't ask
Additional trips - Didn't ask

Address proof
Rental lease - Didn't ask
Bank statements - Didn't ask
Credit card statements - Didn't ask
SS Statement - Didn't ask
AR-11 Forms - Didn't ask

Tax
Tax transcripts - Didn't ask
Tax account transcripts - Didn't ask

Marriage & Birth
Original marriage certificate - Didn't ask
Original birth certificate - asked and took a copy
Kids birth certificates - Didn't ask

Employment
Original Employment letter - Didn't ask
Original paystubs - Didn't ask
Original W-2s - Didn't ask

Went to Socical security office at 10th flr to update citizenship status. Came home and applied for Passport.

Entire experience was pleasant.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone on this forum. You guys are extremely helpful. Feel free to reach me and I will be happy to answer your queries.

Thanks

Did you get an email notification as well?

allthebest (and other folks),
When you get an yellow letter or interview letter do you get an email prior to that indicating a change in status for your case, does your USCIS status page change?

My spouse and my USCIS status page still indicates they sent out an RFE on Aug 11. I called the USCIS sometime back and know that the RFE was really an FP notice. A letter from the USCIS prompted by my enquiry indicated as such and also let me know that my biometrics have been received and my spouse's case has actually been sent for scheduling an interview. But of course the pages are still reflecting the RFE.

BTW I saw on a USCIS link

http://www.uscis.gov/USCIS/Office o...er 2009/USCISCitizenshipDayCeremonies2009.pdf

that 260 people (in Newark) are scheduled to formally become citizens on Sept 17th as part of the citizenship day ceremonies. 260 is the highest number among all the DOs listed on the page. Chicago and Ellis Island with a 100 each come in a distant second.

Hmm... what does this mean to us folk waiting in the queue? Probably nothing but something to chew the cud on. :D.

Got Interview Letter

I am posting here after a few years. I used to be very active in I485 forums and a few people might even remember me. OK, here i am in the N400 queue. My details can be found in my signature. I feel that it's the duty of every one visiting this forum to post here once they get interview letter. This will help people know how long they have to wait for each step. I should have posted here once i got my FP done but then i thought FP is no big deal (every one gets it done in about a month of sending their N400 application).

psmith

I did not get any email, and the status page is still showing the RFE from before like yours.

allthebest (and other folks),
When you get an yellow letter or interview letter do you get an email prior to that indicating a change in status for your case, does your USCIS status page change?

My spouse and my USCIS status page still indicates they sent out an RFE on Aug 11. I called the USCIS sometime back and know that the RFE was really an FP notice. A letter from the USCIS prompted by my enquiry indicated as such and also let me know that my biometrics have been received and my spouse's case has actually been sent for scheduling an interview. But of course the pages are still reflecting the RFE.

BTW I saw on a USCIS link

http://www.uscis.gov/USCIS/Office o...er 2009/USCISCitizenshipDayCeremonies2009.pdf

that 260 people (in Newark) are scheduled to formally become citizens on Sept 17th as part of the citizenship day ceremonies. 260 is the highest number among all the DOs listed on the page. Chicago and Ellis Island with a 100 each come in a distant second.

Hmm... what does this mean to us folk waiting in the queue? Probably nothing but something to chew the cud on. :D.

Question on Civic Questions

Hi!
I am going to have interview on coming Wed. Some civic questions have multiple answers and I wonder if I have to mention all of the answers. I know some of them have instruction to answer only one but wonder about other questions having no such instruction. Thanks!

Hi!
I am going to have interview on coming Wed. Some civic questions have multiple answers and I wonder if I have to mention all of the answers. I know some of them have instruction to answer only one but wonder about other questions having no such instruction. Thanks!

I agree with you, some of the questions are below - anyone has experience of being asked these questions and whether they had to answer just one or all of the answers?

2. What does the Constitution do?
▪ sets up the government
▪ defines the government
▪ protects basic rights of Americans

12. What is the “rule of law”?
▪ Everyone must follow the law.
▪ Leaders must obey the law.
▪ Government must obey the law.
▪ No one is above the law.

37. What does the judicial branch do?
▪ reviews laws
▪ explains laws
▪ resolves disputes (disagreements)
▪ decides if a law goes against the Constitution

61. Why did the colonists fight the British?
▪ because of high taxes (taxation without representation)
▪ because the British army stayed in their houses (boarding, quartering)
▪ because they didn’t have self-government

There are a couple of more like the above. Anyone with any info please advise.