Newark, NJ - N-400 Timeline

I was asked to bring the following for Interview

1) IL
2) GC
3) Any Evidence of selective service Registration
4) Passport
===============
5) License (As per yellow letter)

Everything else is fine but what is 3 (Selective service registration)? what do we take as a proof? i never registered for any selective service.

Thanks for your help

Though I don't belong to this thread, noticed this and thought I would reply in case you haven't figured it out yet. If you were in the US as a permanent resident between the ages of 18 and 26, you should have signed up for selective service. If your status was different if you were in the country during those years, you don't have to worry about it.

Though I don't belong to this thread, noticed this and thought I would reply in case you haven't figured it out yet. If you were in the US as a permanent resident between the ages of 18 and 26, you should have signed up for selective service. If your status was different if you were in the country during those years, you don't have to worry about it.

Thanks much sgsnathan.

I dont fall under the 18-26 PR category so I assume I dont have to do anything. I did not figure out what to do so far but somewhere I read that I may have to get the SIL (Status Information Letter) from sss.gov to proove that I dont fit into this category. Do I need to get a SIL or can I ignore it?
Can others share their experience too as I am sure many others migth have had this in their IL.

Thanks.

I received my yellow letter dated 7/1/09,
I did my FP on 8/7/09, I missed the original date of 6/5/09 due to vacation.
I didn't receive my Interview letter so far. My ND 4/23/09 and RD -4/27/09.
I see people around this timeline already got the IL long back.
In the mean my wife got another letter for biometrics for 9/1/09. Is the IL delayed because USCIS is still waiting for the finger print clearence?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks much sgsnathan.

I dont fall under the 18-26 PR category so I assume I dont have to do anything. I did not figure out what to do so far but somewhere I read that I may have to get the SIL (Status Information Letter) from sss.gov to proove that I dont fit into this category. Do I need to get a SIL or can I ignore it?
Can others share their experience too as I am sure many others migth have had this in their IL.

Thanks.

I think that based on your file, your interviewing officer should know very clearly that you weren't a PR during the years of 18 and 26. So you shouldn't need any other proof. I am not planning to take any other proof for the interview myself.

Freinds!!!!!

I have my interview on Monday and my wife interview is next month????? did some one had experience like this before,,,i mean husband and wife interviews on saperate days.

Freinds!!!!!

I have my interview on Monday and my wife interview is next month????? did some one had experience like this before,,,i mean husband and wife interviews on saperate days.
I think its not unusual. They try to accommodate, but at times it happens. If your wife is free Monday, you may want to take her with you and give it a try and see if they can take her in for the interview. Just a thought.

I have not received my IL yet. I am getting little worrid now. Today I called USCIS and IO told me it will take up to 90 days from the date of Yellow Letter. I can see members are receiving IL around my time line. Can you please post if you have not received IL yet. Thank you

I have not received my IL yet. I am getting little worrid now. Today I called USCIS and IO told me it will take up to 90 days from the date of Yellow Letter. I can see members are receiving IL around my time line. Can you please post if you have not received IL yet. Thank you
I also didn't get my IL. But my case I did FP later
------------------------
04/24/2009: ND
04/27/2009: RD
05/24/2009:FP reschedule requested.
06/06/2009: FP date ( missed due to vacation)
08/04/2009: Yellow Letter Received.
08/07/2009: Walk in FP completed at Elizebeth,NJ
08/14/2009: received FP for 9/1/09 for my wife.

Got the yellow letter asking for Drivers License. Called USCIS. Second level support did not commit to when I can expect Interview letter, but mentioned an upwards of 2 week timeframe.

Here is my experience at Newark DO today. Overall It was a smooth interview (Thank GOD). Whole interview took around 10 mins. The worst part was to wait to be called in. My interview was 1.20PM, I was there half an hour before. My name was called around 2.30PM . The IO was a old spanish fellow. Civics and English test just 5 mins after that he made me sign few forms and thats it!!!! He congratulated me and asked me to wait outside for 4PM Oath ceremony. I was out of the bldg by 4.30PM. Very happy and proud to be an American citizen.

Thanks for reply guys. I spoke to 2nd level IO few times and they are told me that I need to wait, IL will come from 2 weeks to 90 days from the date of yellow letter. According IO my case is still with NBC
I have feelings that some thing is not right. IL usually comes in 3 weeks after the Yellow letter.

Here is my expereince at Newark DO today. Overall It was a smooth interview (Thank GOD). Whole interview took around 10 mins. The worst part was to wait to be called in. My interview was 1.20PM, I was there half an hour before. My name was called around 2.30PM . The IO was a old spanish fellow. Civics and English test just 5 mins after that he make me sign few forms and thats it!!!! He congratulate me and ask me to wait outside for 4PM Oath ceremony. I was out of the bldg by 4.30PM. Very happy and proud to be an American citizen.

Congratulations!

Thanks for reply guys. I spoke to 2nd level IO few times and they are told me that I need to wait, IL will come from 2 weeks to 90 days from the date of yellow letter. According IO my case is still with NBC
I have feelings that some thing is not right. IL usually comes in 3 weeks after the Yellow letter.

I seriously would not worry. You are still well within the processing timeframe.

Resceived case status message..

"Current Status: This case has been sent for a standard interview.

Your case has been transferred to a local office and an interview will be scheduled. As part of our standard processing you will be sent a notice when the interview is scheduled, or if the office needs something from you.. ...."

"Current Status: This case has been sent for a standard interview.

Your case has been transferred to a local office and an interview will be scheduled. As part of our standard processing you will be sent a notice when the interview is scheduled, or if the office needs something from you.. ...."

Did your case status changed today?

Hello friends

I would like to tell you about my citizenship interview it was scheduled for today at Newark NJ federal building my appointment was at 9:20 in the morning I am not that familiar with the city of Newark since I live far from there and never had a chance to go there to find out about the area I got up early and drove to downtown Newark I got there at 8:25 and I found a parking near the building so I went inside and went through the normal security check and I was told to go up the stairs there wasn’t a lot of people at the waiting area and that made me feel a lot better but all of a sudden people start to come in and the place became full so I was trying to review the answers of the test in my head and expecting I will be called soon but they didn’t till 11:29 so I was waiting for three hours when then the IO called she was a white young lady she looked good but acted mean so we walked to her office I was so worried about the whole experience she made me swear to tell the truth and she took my passport the one I had and my GC she asked about my other passport the one I entered the US with I told her the truth that I lost it after I arrived in the US and even had my asylum interview without that passport she didn’t like that and she went on my file like crazy looking all over it and then she said where is the police report I told her the truth I didn’t call the police at that time because I was new in the country and didn’t know so she asked how you was able to prove where are from originally to the asylum IO during that interview I told her I had different documents to prove it and I had a copy of that passport then and now so she asked for the copy and stepped out for a long while I was cooking during her absents I think she spoken to her supervisor because she was out for a good while, when she came back she asked about my income taxes for the last three years and my driver’s license and stepped out again at that point I though she will deny my case and I organized my stuff and was ready to leave when she came back she started the civic questions she asked me like seven questions after she done she said you set to go I was like go where? She said out to the waiting room I asked her did I pass she said yes I miss the first oath ceremony at 2:15 and had to wait till 5:00 PM for the oath because she didn’t have my citizenship certificate ready till then even so I got my citizenship I dislike that lady she was so mean and made my so late.