Newark, NJ - N-400 Timeline

My timeline

N400 Sent date: 08/09/2006
PD:08/11/2006
Receipt Notice received on: 08/24/2006
FP notice received on: 08/25/2006
FP:08/30/2006 (Done in less than 15 min)
IL: ??

I received the Oath letter today, almost 120 days after my interview at Newark. I thought I would have to go through the 1447(b) hassle and spend $350 court fee. The whole process took a bit more than nine months. I applied in December, 2005 and had my interview in mid-May. At the interview, the officer told me that my H1B file was missing and would take about a month to get it. It turned out to be four months. Thanks everyone for the help.

NJGoose said:
I received the Oath letter today, almost 120 days after my interview at Newark. I thought I would have to go through the 1447(b) hassle and spend $350 court fee. The whole process took a bit more than nine months. I applied in December, 2005 and had my interview in mid-May. At the interview, the officer told me that my H1B file was missing and would take about a month to get it. It turned out to be four months. Thanks everyone for the help.

My oath is on 22nd. When is yours?

Layoff

Now that I have completed fingerprinting, I was thinking about the interview.

I was laid off within 1 month after I got my green card 5 years ago. What questions are likely to come up during the interview regarding this?
How do I prevent it from being a reason for rejection of Citizenship?
Anybody been in the same boat?
Thanks

vp4 said:
My oath is on 22nd. When is yours?
25th. Does anyone know if I can reschedule it to an earlier date since I may be on a business trip then?

Last edited by a moderator:
Done with the Naturalization process at Newark!

On Aug. 22nd my wife and I had the interview and the oath on the same day and obtained our citizenship.
Interview time was at 8:00am done around 10:00am. The oath was at around 2:00pm.

I took the court traffic fine receipt just because I had mentioned in the N-400 application that I had a speeding ticket. Other than that we both took only the Interview letter. You don't even have to take a pen and pencil, they ask you to write with their own pen.

The size of both of our photos were not 2"x2" so they told us to resubmit the photos. In fact the interview officer gave us direction for a photo shop.

Don't be bothered too much with all that big list (at least for Newark) that was posted on this web site.

Timeline for both of us:
5/11/06: N-400 application sent
5/19/06: FP done
June 2nd week: Received letter for Interview date
Aug. 22nd: Interview and oath completed.

Newark ND5/18/06-Waiting

Notice Date : 5/18/2006
FP Done : 6/02/2006
Waiting for Interview Letter.

Do you have any Info in Newwark

Wow! Looks like there can be a lot of difference in the amount of time various applicants wait to get the interview letter (after FP is done). Some people get it in 15 days. Some dont get it even after 3-4 months.

Interview Date?

My time line is
PD: 07/17/06
Receipt ND: 07/25/06.
FP: 08/05/06.
ID : ????
Any one with similar time line who received the Interview Date? :confused:

Thnx.

Anybody who has PD of June received IL? My timeline is:

PD:06/26/06
FP:07/11/06
IL:??

My friend who applied in May still waiting for IL.

I had my interview yesterday and will share my experience.

I arrived at Newark at 9:30 a.m. placed my appointment letter in window 1 (the appointment was for 10:12 a.m.) I waited until 11:00 a.m. to be interviewed by the IO. I was nervous and paranoid about all the things i had read in this website. She started going through my application, asked for my passport and green card. My marriage certificate and my selective services proof.

She did not ask about any citations, only if i had been arrested. No questions about traffic tickets, nor where my tax returns asked to be shown.

she asked me my civic questions and voila I became a U.S. citizen. The whole interview took about 10 minutes, then I wated until 2:30 p.m. for the oath ceremony.

My advice to people going to their interviews is be prepared with all the documentation because it really is a matter of luck on the officer you get, and if you get someone extremely anal then is better to be prepared.

I overheard someone say that they were asked proof for traffic tickets so again thats why you should be prepared.

My timeline is not up but I sent my application around MAY 20TH, 2006 and did my interview yesterday SEPTEMBER 7, 2006.

Had interview on 9/7/06. Total interview time for me 5 min, spouse 25 min. No checking of passport, Selective service or marriage certificate.

Timeline:
ND/ PD: 5/19/06
FP: 6/7/06
ID: 9/7/06

The whole process was a breeze compared to the experiences of others in the board.

Are there any people from the passport agency at the oath ceremony in Newark? I am planning to make an appointment with my local post office prior to the oath ceremony, so I will be ready to apply for the passport quickly. One worry I have with applying for passport at the ceremony is that I won't get a chance to make copy of the certificate prior to giving it to them along with the passport application. I have this nightmare of them losing my paperwork and me having to go through hell getting another certificate.

vp4 said:
Are there any people from the passport agency at the oath ceremony in Newark? I am planning to make an appointment with my local post office prior to the oath ceremony, so I will be ready to apply for the passport quickly. One worry I have with applying for passport at the ceremony is that I won't get a chance to make copy of the certificate prior to giving it to them along with the passport application. I have this nightmare of them losing my paperwork and me having to go through hell getting another certificate.

The passport office is in the post office next to the USCIS building in Newark. I think they close at around 2:30 p.m. or 3:00 p.m. The passport office agent will give you a copy of your certificate.

Timeline in Newark

My wife just got the notification of the interview date. I think how soon will you receive the interview date depends on how your name check is going.

Timeline:
AD:08/08/06
ND/ PD: 08/10/06
FP: 08/30/06
ID: 11/02/06

even i got my interview date today!!!
i m just worried about the questions they will be asking ?
anybody has any idea how many questions should be correct inorder to pass

pd 07/17/06
fd 08/17/06
id 11/09/2006

NJGoose said:
The passport office is in the post office next to the USCIS building in Newark. I think they close at around 2:30 p.m. or 3:00 p.m. The passport office agent will give you a copy of your certificate.

since I am travelling soon, I went to the New York Passport Agency in person, made an appointment for 7:30 am, got to an agent by 8:15am, had passport by 10:30 am. So that was quick. Had to pay the expedite fee and also show a ticket. You can get info for the passport agency via google search. there are only 14 agencies in the US, and all applications made at the post office end up at the agency.

my oath was on 9.15.06