Newark local office transfer: tracker

Al_aos said:
my attorney also told me ."no need to redo medical"

Hi, Al-aos
What will you do? Will you follow what our lawyer said? Or we need to do physical by ourself? Do you have any idea about it? Please reply. Thanks :confused:

attorney clearly told me , we had submitted the medicals at the time of filing.
and it is clearly mentioned in one the guidlines by USCIS that we do not need to do medicals if the delay is from the USCIS side

guys,

Can someone throw light on how newark office is processing transfer cases?
ND of I485 or Transfer date (TD) ??

My ND is Jan 2004 and transfer date to newark office from VSC is JUL 23 2004

Sam

Al_aos said:
attorney clearly told me , we had submitted the medicals at the time of filing.
and it is clearly mentioned in one the guidlines by USCIS that we do not need to do medicals if the delay is from the USCIS side

But if they still insist us to do medical, it may delay? We need another appointment? Once again we have to wait. One more question, When will be your interview? Thanks

you will only be interviewd once.
If they dont have your medical , they will approve you but not stamp your passport but they ask you to submit a new medical.
Once they get that you will get an approval letter.
I am going to go by my attorneys advice.
and my interview is in the first week of october.

Al_aos said:
you will only be interviewd once.
If they dont have your medical , they will approve you but not stamp your passport but they ask you to submit a new medical.
Once they get that you will get an approval letter.
I am going to go by my attorneys advice.
and my interview is in the first week of october.

Thank you so much? I am waiting your good news!!! One more question, your lawyer gave you some support letters or something else which you can show INS officer at that interview day?

what kind of support documents>?
the docs I am carrying are all my own.
attorney just told me to carry such and such documnets.

Hi, mjr_jcnj,

Thanks for your good wishes. Just want to let you know I got the interview notice and the interview was scheduled on Oct. 13 at Cherry Hill (instead of Newwork). So they do transfer some cases to Cherry Hill and it seems it doesn't take so long for Cherry Hill to schedule the interview, at least not as they did about 2 years ago.

Hope we are all OK for the interview.

NJJ

About the interview

Deal all:

My wife and I really appreciate all the information provided by people on this forum as it proved to be very helpful for us. We also thank Mr. Rajeev S. Khanna for making the forum possible.

I have given below information, from my knowledge and personal experience, that some of you may find useful. My case details are in my signature.

A. Documents that we took for the interview (We took originals as well as one set of photocopies. The photocopies were useful as the interviewing officer asked for and kept some of them for his file).

I 485 receipt notice for my wife and I (officer kept a copy of this)
I 140 approval notice for me (officer kept a copy of this)
Tax joint returns for 2000 2001 2002 2003 (officer kept a copy of 2003)
W2s for 2000 2001 2002 2003 (officer kept a copy of 2003)
Pay-stubs for Year 2004 for me as I am the primary (officer kept a copy of this)
SSN cards for my wife and I (officer kept a copy)
I 94 latest for my wife and I (officer kept a copy)
Passport for my wife and I (officer did not take the copy)
All EAD cards for my wife and I (officer took away all of the original plastic cards)
Marriage Cert (officer kept a copy)
Birth Cert for my wife and I (officer kept a copy)
Current employment certificate for me (officer asked for the original and kept it)
Bank statements (officer didn’t want to see and did not take the copy)
Mortgage payment stubs (officer didn’t want to see and did not take the copy)
Credit card statements (officer didn’t want to see and did not take the copy)
Driving license (officer wanted to see the originals but did not take the copy)
INS type photographs (4) (officer didn’t want to see and did not take the copy)

I did not have the medical with me and officer did not ask me for it.
I read in the forum that officers were asking if we were still married and staying together. Therefore, I took bank statements, mortgage stubs and credit card statements to prove it. But the officer who interviewed me was not interested about these papers at all. He just wanted to see te marriage certificate.

B. Based on information provided by others in the forum, I prepared for the following questions. But none of them were asked.
Q. What is your salary?
Q. How many hours do you work a day?
Q. Since when have you started working?
Q. When did you arrive first in USA?
Q. What was your status when you first came in country?
Q. Which company sponsored your work visa?
Q. How long have you been at current address?
Q. What is your job description?
Q. Can you describe your typical day to day activity?

C. When we got to the INS office, we submitted our interview notice letter and waited to be called. We were called within 10 minutes. The office who called us in was very pleasant and nice. He took our fingerprints and signatures. Then he made take an oath that we will answer all questions truthfully. He asked for the employment letter first. He read it and wanted to keep the original. Then he asked for pay-stubs and other documents (detailed above). After he reviewed all the documents and kept some of the copies for his file, he asked us some questions. The questions he asked were whether we have any problems with alcohol, drugs and pending lawsuits. Then he told us that everything is clear and congratulated us for becoming permanent residents. He took our passports and stamped them. He asked us to expect the cards by mail in 2 weeks to 2 months.

D. Once the stamping was done, we went to the social security office in the 10the floor of the Newark INS center. There, we filled up an application requesting for status change in Social Security records. The SS Agent took our application and told us that restriction on the card will be removed as we have become permanent residents. She took our original SS cards and told us new cards will be sent by mail in 4 to 8 weeks.

I hope that the above information is useful. All the best to you all.

Hi NJJ,

I'M SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :) :D
Wish me luck on Friday, so nervous now................havent started doing copies of the documents I need to bring, guess I should do it tonight. Anyway, GOOD LUCK TO YOU and HOPE EVERYTHING TURNS OUT WELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards,

Mjr_jcnj

Hi NJJ

Congratulations !!! :) :)
I am releived , like you mine is under Cherry Hill Jurisdiction , May I know when is your receipt date and please let me what documents they requested you in the interview letter .

My receipt date is April 2003 and filed under section 245 (i)

Good luck again buddy.

MM
:) :) :)

Hi, Mjr_jcnj,

Thanks for it.

I am preparing the documents for the interview and get a list of documents maybe required, just want to share it with you (hope it is still useful for you and also please let me know if I miss something here)

documents required:

Interview notice
I-485 receipt notice
I-140 approve notice

Employment letter
Most recent 3 Pay Stubs
I-134 for dependent

I-94 cards
Passport and Visa
All non-immigration visa (J-1, H-1, J-2, H-4, F-1, etc)
Adit Photos (2 for each)

SSN card
All EAD cards
All Aps
Finger print notice
Drive License

3 Years W-2 Form
3 Years tax returns

Medicals
Birth certificate (even our daughter's who was born here)
Marriage certificate
Education certificates

3 Month bank statements
Utility bills
Credit card statements
Apt. lease

Wish you good luck on Friday. Just take it easy and will pray for you.

BTW, mine is not LC based case so I don't prepare anything for that.

NJJ

Hi, Wen Ben,

Thanks for the sharing. It comes the right time since I just got the interview notice. :)

and Congratulations on your approving.

May I ask when people talk about the 3 years tax returns, it is only for federal tax return or also includes the state tax return?

Thanks,

NJJ

Hi, markmurali,

My RD is July 03, 02 and ND is July 08, 02, NIW based case.

They just mistook my case as family based immigration and the doucments they checked in the interview letter don't make sense to me. So I called my lawyer and he asked me to ignore it and prepare documents as they should be. For the documents I prepared please refer to my previous post.

Yours should be soon. I got the interview notice about 2 months after the transfer (mine was transfered on July 19) and I think they schedule the interview based on the transfer date instead of the RD of I-485. Just my guess.

hope to hear the good news from you soon.

NJJ

NJJ
Its good to prepare all documents. However, my guess is that they will ask for employment letter, birth cert for children (if they were born here).
Since it is NIW, they wont be concerned with other things but again one feels safe if they carry everything.
also i think, form 134 is for non-immigrant and 864 is for immigrant but they may not be required for self-petitioned NIW.
Best of luck and as always consult your lawyer as he/she may be more knowledgeable about your individual case.

Tax returns for the interview

Hi NJJ:

Congrats on your interview notice.

I asked my attorney the same question i.e. Federal tax returns or state. She asked me to take both for four years and I took both. But the Officer was interested only in the Year 2003 tax return (but other officers may ask for 3 years). He went through mainly the total earnings page. I guess he was interested only in seeing that I was being paid by my employer the amount that is shown in the labor clearance. From that, my guess is you should be ok even if you do not have the state tax return as the main interest of the officer seems to be in checking what your earnings are.

One another thing - I saw in one of your posting you talked about USCIS confusing your case for family based rather than employment based. From my experience (with USCIS having some type of confusion with my case), I realized that this is probably the only time I will get face time with an INS officer. So when he talked about approving my case with a "pending notification" till the confusion is cleared out, I requested him to hear me out fully. I showed him all the documents that are there in his file as well as documents that are there with me and get over the confusion. He was patient enough to listen, took the papers he wanted, put them in his file, said that INS does sometime make some errors but he will make entry in computer and make notes in his file to sort it out, and finally approved my case without any "pending notification". I am sharing this experience so that you know even if their computers have a mistaken entry about your case, use the opportunity you are getting in terms of face time with the officer to present your case properly. If the Officer is nice enough, he does have the authority and will be able to clear it out once and for all. As always, note that the right advice can only come from an attorney. And I am not one. Please do consult yur attorney too.

WIsh you all the best!!

NJJ said:
Hi, Wen Ben,

Thanks for the sharing. It comes the right time since I just got the interview notice. :)

and Congratulations on your approving.

May I ask when people talk about the 3 years tax returns, it is only for federal tax return or also includes the state tax return?

Thanks,

NJJ

Hi, ag28,

Thanks so much for your good suggestion. I will try to bring as many as I can so that they can not find any excuse to reject or delay my approval. :)

NJJ

Hi, Wen Ben,

Thanks for the sharing. It is really useful for me. I am wondering how (based on the information shown in the interview letter) you can tell that the officer confused your case between employment based and family based?

For me, there is nothing shown in the interview letter says if my case is family based or employment based. But in the section for the required documents needed for the interview, they checked "Relative based cases" instead of "Employment based case", while in my husband's interview notice both items are checked (so that means his case is both family based and employment based? BTW, I am the primary applicant). My attorney seems not take it seriously, just tell me that the officer is very carelesss when check the section. So I am wondering if they really confused my case or just check the wrong item by mistake? And also how can you convince them that your case is employment based instead of family based? For my case, I am self-sponsored NIW case, so I don't have any LC related documents that can show to them.

Any suggestions/advice will be appreciated.

NJJ

Hi wenben,

Did you get the certified Income tax returns from IRS?

Did you used the 1040 (while filing the Tax returns)?

Did you also take the W2 also with you??

Can you please clarify above doubts.

Thanks
GlenMD