New York License - Frustrating People

zulu400

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
I went to get the License from NY for my wife (on H4 Visa) . They need 6 points.

Valid passport = 3 points.
Health Insurance card = 1 point.

We need 2 more pts. The letter from SSA saying SSN cannot be issued does not carry any points.

Possible options are: (each carry a point )
1. Utility Bill
2. Credit Card
3. Grocery Card.

The problem is that none of the above three can be obtained without a SSN. So basically I'm caught in a Catch-22 situation....

Guys, please advice me on how to proceed. Any inputs will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Note: We have enough time on Visa left, so that is not an issue.

zulu400 said:
Hi,
I went to get the License from NY for my wife (on H4 Visa) . They need 6 points.

We need 2 more pts. The letter from SSA saying SSN cannot be issued does not carry any points.

1. Utility Bill
2. Credit Card
3. Grocery Card.

The problem is that none of the above three can be obtained without a SSN. So basically I'm caught in a Catch-22 situation....

Thanks.

Does she need her own credit card (with her own credit)? or can't it just be a shared card with you? You should be able to get a credit card that way with just her TIN. The same thing should go with the utility bills. Just put her name on the account (we did the same in AZ).

You can easily makeup another 2 points.

1. If u have a credit card, get her a complimentary card in her name. It is mostly free. You do not need an SSN for this.

2. Cancel your telephone and reapply in her name. She will have a utility bill within a month in her name. Or you could probably try and talk to telephone company to change name from husband to wife.

The bank said after the Patriot act was passed (post 9/11) we cannot issue even add on cards to people without SSN. So I'm stumped.

Also Catch,
I don't think I can get a phone connection without SSN. But you got me thinking now, maybe cell phone companies can do it, so I'll try to get a point there. Thanks for your help.

zulu400 said:
The bank said after the Patriot act was passed (post 9/11) we cannot issue even add on cards to people without SSN. So I'm stumped.

Also Catch,
I don't think I can get a phone connection without SSN. But you got me thinking now, maybe cell phone companies can do it, so I'll try to get a point there. Thanks for your help.
I would just keep trying different companies. It seems different companies are handling these requirements differently. It might be how much they want your business as to how little they require from you. :) We had this come up while trying to get a mortgage. It depended on how much they neeed you.

Neither Chase nor Providian requires SSN to issue a second card, try them.

zulu400 said:

zulu400 said:
Hi,

1. Utility Bill
2. Credit Card
3. Grocery Card.

Thanks.

You can get points for:

A union card issued in the US . - 1 Point [ go with passport do Library and they will issue you union card ]

You can provide only one of these items issued by a financial institution issued in the US:
a bank statement
a cancelled check (which displays your pre-printed name)
an ATM card or a debit card (which displays your pre-printed name and your signature)
a valid major US credit card

Go to www.psfcu.com credit union - they will open free checking only needing valid passport and visa. They will take a photo of your wife and will make free photo ATM card with her name, date of birth and number with singature. After getting ID from DMV you can close an account. They also add a life insurance policy (you can get 1point for it), but it sucks, its only for deatdh up to 1000$, but it's in your name and cartificate is with your name and address. This union doesnt need SSN.

A life insurance policy issued in the US and in effect for at least two years. [1point]

I used it credit union. I got 6 point for valid visa and passport [3pts], atm card [1point], life insurance [1point], union card [1point] and then I got my learner permit (after passing test)

Does she have a Visa from her own country a friend of mine used that and was never questioned. all cards I own never asked for secondary SS# Chase Providian.

two more points

hi
you can get additional credit card that 's gona be one point and call con edison to add your name in the bill ,they do'nt require ss no

True, most add on cards do require SSN of the "add on person" Chase did, a year ago. You can get a tax ID and a letter from social security that your wife is not elegible for a SSN number. I heard somewhere that it is as good as SSN.
Don't go to Harlem branch, go to Broadway - they are a bit easier there
Good luck