New York City - N-400 Timeline - Naturalization Experiences

its based on the marriage and they needed joint account statements, bills, cancelled checks, etc. i brought everything and my IO recommended it for approval and approval is still pending. I did mail both IO and field office director a certified letter and nothing yet. Actually, even wrote a letter to the congressman. Guess, no choice, have to take them to court.

When you went last Mar 22 did you get a note from them when to check back for another follow up? At Federal Plaza when I went there to ask about my case status I got a note saying "case pending to return after 30 working days". The IO told me to expect a letter within that period and not to worry. I got the oath letter a week later and so everything was fine after all. Since they said to you 2-3 weeks I believe it won't hurt if you get an infopass and check again. Maybe a little prodding would work.

How will I know when the FBI clear my fingerprints? The only number I have has 10 number...therefore I can't use the case status feature. Is there a number I need to call???

When you went last Mar 22 did you get a note from them when to check back for another follow up? At Federal Plaza when I went there to ask about my case status I got a note saying "case pending to return after 30 working days". The IO told me to expect a letter within that period and not to worry. I got the oath letter a week later and so everything was fine after all. Since they said to you 2-3 weeks I believe it won't hurt if you get an infopass and check again. Maybe a little prodding would work.

nope, they gave me N-652 "congratulations, your application has been recommended for approval" and told me to expect my OL in 2-3 weeks.

Go back and insist to talk to IO whose name is on the N-652 and inquire what's holding up the final approval since you have already been recommended and told to wait 2-3 weeks. Your case might be a bit complex for a straightforward decision by the supervisor.

Got the oath letter today

After my interview at Fed Plaza on 3/26 with a junior officer I was sent home with a "not approved yet" note. At the time I was told it would take another 4 weeks or so. Almost 6 weeks later I get the oath letter.

Oath will be on 6/3. Almost there. Thanks, everyone for your support. This is a very informative and helpful community. Good luck to those who are still waiting!

After my interview at Fed Plaza on 3/26 with a junior officer I was sent home with a "not approved yet" note. At the time I was told it would take another 4 weeks or so. Almost 6 weeks later I get the oath letter.

Oath will be on 6/3. Almost there. Thanks, everyone for your support. This is a very informative and helpful community. Good luck to those who are still waiting!

Congrats skifiend,, they made you wait a while but you are now victorious with oath letter in hand :D

I will have my oath tomorrow at 500 pearl street, the same place as rick92. So after 10.5 months, the wait game is almost over.

I will have my oath tomorrow too, 5/08, at Federal Plaza. Took six and a half months. I'm glad it will be over...
I'm grateful to everyone associated with this forum. I picked up a lot of very useful pointers here. It helped me a lot in my interview.

I had my interview scheduled for April 7th at Federal Plaza and to my great dismay I received a voice message from someone at USCIS on April 6th saying that my interview has been canceled because they have not received my file. I called her back and all she said is that they will call me once they receive the file. To say that I am upset is an understatement as this point. I sent an email to the Director of USCIS in New York, all her deputies and her Chief of Staff. Her chief of Staff replied my email saying he has requested my file, but a month later it has not materialized. I let them know that I will not pay a dime again should my file be lost. This dilema has put an international posting in serious jeopardy if I cannot resolve it by June 15th.

I have been speaking to a supervisor at USCIS almost every week to find out if they received my file, she asked me to call back on Monday. After I speak to her on Monday and they are yet to receive the file. I am going to be the most annoying person they have ever encountered with letters going to the President (to describe the incompetency), Secretary of Homeland Security and the Director USCIS until someone tells me where they put my file. I sent a notice to the Ombudsman and sent a letter to Senator Schumer.

The fact that USCIS still uses paper files in this day and age is completely astounding to me.

Sorry to know about your troubles; I think similar cases were reported in past for various district offices. Hopefully, your woes will be over soon...

Keeping fingers crossed since I've interview next week..

kiev:- Can you tell us how your interview went yesterday when you get time? Thanks.

I'm back from the oath ceremony. I got there at 9am and the ceremony ended around 11:45. There was about 200 people. It went pretty much like what rick92 wrote in his thread. My cert has the name change court order stapled to it. I changed my first name.
Afterward, I went to have lunch with my family in chinatown. I made a few copies of the cert just in case.
On monday, I will go to SSA office to get a new card and update my status, DMV to get a new driver licence (enhanced one) with new name, and post office to apply to a passport.

I'd like to thanks everyone on this forum who made my experience a bit bearable. I learned everything from this forum.
A personal note of gratitude to rick92, funky brother, bOnd, Vorpal, JohnyCash, and others who share their experience, time and advice.

My N-400 journey is now over. I need to move on. I will mostly move to the I-130/I-485 forum because I will soon petition for my family. If anyone has question, feel free to send me a PM.

Good luck to all. Patience is a virtue, easy said than done, specially when dealing with USCIS.

My complete N400 timeline for future reference
D/O : NYC
6/20/08:N-400 Mailed to VSC
6/23/08:N-400 Received.
6/23/08:priority Date
6/24/08:Check cashed
6/25/08:Notice Date
6/30/08:NOA received ( I-797C)
7/5/08:FP Notice received
7/16/08:FP appointment
9/17/08:IL received
11/19/08: Interview Appointment at 26 Fed Plaza
1/12/09:Come back to submit add'l documents (N-14). The decision will be mailed.
3/26/09: case approved
4/13/09: Oath letter
5/8/09: USC
5/19/09: Apply passport and card (regular processing)
6/9/09: Received passport book, passport card and naturalization cert

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats !!!

I'm back from the oath ceremony. I got there at 9am and the ceremony ended around 11:45. There was about 200 people. It went pretty much like what rick92 wrote in his thread. My cert has the name change court order stapled to it. I changed my first name.
Afterward, I went to have lunch with my family in chinatown. I made a few copies of the cert just in case.
On monday, I will go to SSA office to get a new card and update my status, DMV to get a new driver licence (enhanced one) with new name, and post office to apply to a passport.

I'd like to thanks everyone on this forum who made my experience a bit bearable. I learned everything from this forum.
A personal note of gratitude to rick92, funky brother, bOnd, Vorpal, JohnyCash, and others who share their experience, time and advice.

My N-400 journey is now over. I need to move on. I will mostly move to the I-130/I-485 forum because I will soon petition for my family. If anyone has question, feel free to send me a PM.

Good luck to all. Patience is a virtue, easy said than done, specially when dealing with USCIS.

No FP needed; Now it's Needed???

Hi,
I've submitted my N-400 back in Feb 2009.
After waiting about a month, I didn't get any notice from USCIS about my finger print.
So I called USCIS in middle of March to have them review my situation.
About a month later (middle of April), they sent me a letter stating, I would not need another FP since my last finger print back in Jan. 2008 (to review my conditional GC) was still valid, and they will use this instead.
So I thought my FP and background should be taken care, and just waiting for interview to be scheduled.
Today, I received the FP notice, and the notice states my FP has been expired, and in order to continue my case, I have to do FP again on May 19.
Anyone had similar situation like me?
I feel like USCIS wasted 3 months(Feb-May) processing time.

What's happening with oath letters in NYC DO. My Wife & I had interview on 3/2/2009 (separately) in Federal Plaza. Both of us passed the interviews. The interview officers told us that they will send us Oath letters in couple of weeks. Till now we haven't received any. My wife wants to go to India for a trip. What do we now? I am not sure why it is taking so much time.

N-400 DO NYC
Mailed: 10/28/2008
NOA: 10/30/2008
ID: 3/02/2009
Oath letter: ???

What is your officer's name? If it's Brown or any other junior officers, then you should prepare to push the issue. They will let your file sit idle in the file room until you make a big deal out of it or close to 120 days. Read my posts.