New Visa requirement news from Britain.

Yes thats right, now we need a transit visa even if we are not going out of airport. I dont know what will happen to immigrants,
will they require visa its still up in air.

This is just crazy...Another money minting gimmick...should we also pay airport tax also...in case we use airport's amenities..

If you mean GC holders as immigrants, then the answer is no .

Originally posted by harapattawaiter
Yes thats right, now we need a transit visa even if we are not going out of airport. I dont know what will happen to immigrants,
will they require visa its still up in air.

But the report says that you won't need a UK transit visa if you are an Indian national in possession of a valid visa and ticket for Canada or the USA. Same applies for US & Canada GC holders & permanent residents. So, there shouldn't be a problem for Indians in US.

Any thoughts from Moderators.
Thanks everybody for their reply and comments.
Its really ridiculous.

Whats wrong with this?

like zztop pointed out, there shouldnt be a problem for anyone here. Its only people who are on tourist Visas or going to other countries.

2000 people asked for asylum? for what?? The UK should just shove all of them on a boat and send them off into the ocean!

I dont see anything wrong with what the English wanna do.

Hi

My father-in-law will be traveling from Washington DC to Chennai via London by British Airways next month (He came to USA on Visitor visa from India) Does that mean he has to take Transit visa now?????

zztop seems to be correct, looking at the posting above. You do not need a Transit Visa if you have a valid US visa and a ticket.

Originally posted by gcmani
Hi

My father-in-law will be traveling from Washington DC to Chennai via London by British Airways next month (He came to USA on Visitor visa from India) Does that mean he has to take Transit visa now?????

as per UK consulate website in US

http://www.britainusa.com/visas/yestransit.asp

The following countries require a Direct Airside Transit Visa to transit the United Kingdom. Even if you only intend to remain airside and will not pass through UK Immigration.

AFGHANISTAN, ALBANIA, ALGERIA, ANGOLA, BANGLADESH, BELARUS, BURMA, BURUNDI, CAMEROON, PEOPLES REPUBLIC OF CHINA, COLOMBIA, ECUADOR, ERITREA, ETHIOPIA, GAMBIA, GHANA, INDIA, IRAN, IRAQ, IVORY COAST, LEBANON, LIBERIA, MACEDONIA, MOLDOVA, NEPAL, NIGERIA, PAKISTAN, PALESTINIAN AUTHORITY, RWANDA, SENEGAL, SIERRA LEONE, SOMALIA, SRI LANKA, SUDAN, TURKEY, TRNC, UGANDA, VIETNAM, YUGOSLAVIA, ZAIRE (formerly Republic of Congo), ZIMBABWE.

Exemptions: You are exempt from this requirement if:

You hold a valid US or Canadian visas who also hold a ticket to or from the US or Canada routed via the UK. This will include a period of 48 hours after the expiry of the US or Canadian visa for those leaving the US or Canada to allow for those who choose to leave at the very end of the validity of their visa

You hold a USA Permanent Resident Card (Green Card) issued on or after 21 April 1998.

You hold a Canadian Permanent Resident Card issued on or after 28 June 2002

You hold a valid Category D visa (printed on a red sticker) issued by EU/EEA member states, which are valid for more than 3 months.

You hold a valid EU residence permit

You hold a diplomatic or service passport issued by the Peoples Republic of China

You hold a diplomatic or official passport issued by the Government of India

If you qualify from one of the above exemptions you are not required to hold a Direct Airside Transit visa and may still benefit from the Transit without Visa concession.

If you do not qualify from one of the above exemptions you should complete form VAF 3 and submit the following documents to your nearest entry clearance issuing post;

If you intend to change airports in the United Kingdom you will require a visit visa. VAF 1

Guys,
Don't get confused. Indian citizens having a valid US visa or GC will not need transit visa.
This new visa is called Direct Airside Transit Visas. I went to the website of the British Embassy in US and verified that you US visa or GC holders will not need this visa.
This is what the website said -
Exemptions for Transit visa -
Holders of Valid U.S. or Canadian Visas who also hold a ticket to or from the US or Canada routed via the UK. This will include a period of 48 hours after the expiry of the US or Canadian visa for those leaving the US or Canada to allow for those who choose to leave at the very end of the validity of their visa.

2. Holders of USA I-551 permanent Resident Cards (Green Cards) issued on or after 21 April 1998

Check this out
http://www.britainusa.com/visas/visas.asp
Click on Fast Track

The only time it will affect most of us is when the I-485 is going on and you are travelling on Advance Parole. At that time if you have used the EAd, You have no valid VISA.

So a transit visa will be required in that case..

I just called British embassay in NY. He told me that if you have valid US Visa , you don't need transit visa for Brtain.
You can call Phone no. 2127450202 select option 7.

Might affect most of us!!!

Guys,

Most of the people, who visit this forum are in the final stages of GC Processing (I-485) and in most cases they are here on EAD and their H1s expired long time ago, and will be travelling with AP. For those, whose H1 visa has expired and are travelling using AP, will need this transit visa.

There's no mention of Advance Parole in the UK embassy website. So if the H1 has expired and the traveller is on Advance parole I think he/she will need the Transit Visa. It is better to confirm with the travel agent or airlines carrier.

This is nothing but generating more money for failing economy. But there are Indians also to blame, I am pretty sure Punjab and Gujrat must be the biggest state with defaulters.

I had called embassy last week and told nothing is required and just in 3 days it is required.

I guess even if you have AP, you still need this and PAY to majesty....:mad:

I agree with forum123. Indians are also to blame. They try to enter a foreign country by any means possible. These illegal immigrants tarnish the image of India.
Ironically Punjab and Gujrat are the most affluant of the Indian states.

Sawnanig & Zztop,

Greatly appreciate your valuable information and links.
Actually I had used my EAD, having AP and planning to visit India in December and was planning to book the tickets in a day or two but now I think I have to postpone our program. I am having 9 days off at the end of the year and want to use them but now I think I can't.
My RD is 2/12/2002 and done 2nd FP recently on 9/27/03 (scheduled 10/10/03).

I also agree with forum123 and zztop, because of some people, lot of people have to suffer but no body can change the world, so better to follow the rule,
DON'T WORRY, BE HAPPY.

Regards,
feb12rd.