New Timeline thread for San Antonio & Austin area

Welcome and ...

Here's my timeline:

3/23 - Express mailed N-400 application along with cover letter, marriage cert., joint bank account verification from the bank, joint health insurance, joint car insurance, joint car loan, copy of husband's naturalization cert, front and back copy of my greencard, check for $400, 2 passport photos

3/27 - Check was cashed

4/07 - Received receipt of application and case number. Went on https://egov.immigration.gov/cris/jsps/index.jsp to check my case status online and signed up to get email notification whenever case is updated

4/08 - Received finger-print notice letter. Finger-print is scheduled in San Antonio on 4/25.

4/25 - Finger-print

(to be continued)

Welcome to the Austin/SA thread. Looks like with your husband's naturalization you are already familiar with this process. Did he get his citizenship 3 yrs. ago?

You have a long way to go, but hopefully you won't have any issues ;)

Please keep us updated with your status. Also, feel free to post anything relevant to your case or the N400 in general - even the slightest amount of info. could be beneficial to folks on this board/thread and help out in general...

Thanks for the warm welcome. I kinda hesitated to post on here because I didn't want to jinx my application 8-{) . But i think the info might be helpful to the ppl who are anxiously waiting and counting day by day like me. My husband got his citizenship a long time ago, in early 90s.

I have a friend who filed his application in Feb 2007. It took about 4-5 weeks to get finger-print. After fingerprint, it took another 5 weeks to get the interview (San Antonio office). So for him, it took about 8-10 weeks (I don't have the exact dates) I'm hoping I could be that lucky.

Thanks for the warm welcome. I kinda hesitated to post on here because I didn't want to jinx my application 8-{) . But i think the info might be helpful to the ppl who are anxiously waiting and counting day by day like me. My husband got his citizenship a long time ago, in early 90s.

I have a friend who filed his application in Feb 2007. It took about 4-5 weeks to get finger-print. After fingerprint, it took another 5 weeks to get the interview (San Antonio office). So for him, it took about 8-10 weeks (I don't have the exact dates) I'm hoping I could be that lucky.

It's hard to guess, but the SA DO typically takes 6-9 months to process an N-400. I think it takes close to 9 months in a majority of the cases. My wife's and mine is currently 8 months and counting :mad:. Not sure what the majic formula is but I think the name check and FBI background investigation play a huge role - if you have a common name, or worse still, a Muslim name, it could take close to 9 months or longer.

Fingerprint "unclassifiable"

Hello All,

This post is for those who are going through this issue or will go through in the future. Apparently, there are a few who go through this.

I had my interview yesterday.

My fingerprints got returned as "unclassifiable" twice. Let me tell you that there is absolutely nothing wrong with my fingers except that the machines at the application support center does not like them. It looks like there is a procedure when this happens. After two tries, they ask you to bring a police report from the place where you reside to the interview. Getting the police report itself is fairly straightforward. Check where you can get one by going to the internet. Then visit the place mentioned and collect the report after you pay eight dollars or so.

During the interview, they ask you to fill up a form where they ask you if you were ever arrested, ever had to pay a fine, ever been issued traffic tickets etc. Once you fill up the form, the immigration officer gets it signed by some higher up and files it along with the police report.

He then told me that the finger print issue had been taken care of and then proceeded with the routine interview.

One thing I would like to add is that you might want to be proactive. When my fingerprints got returned as "unclassifiable" the first time, I waited for several weeks and got no notification that this had happened. I had to have an infopass to get this information. At the infopass they told me that I would get the notice for a second finger print soon. I did not get any. So, I proactively went to the ASC and persuaded them to retake my fingerprints. If I hadn't done this, I don't know how long I would have had to wait. I then had an infopass again to only find out that it was returned as "unclassifiable" again. But this time they told me that I was being scheduled for an interview.

During my greencard process also my fingerprints got rejected twice. Unfortunately, there was no infopass arrangement at that time. They made me wait for 15 more months before they sent me a third fingerprint notice. This made my whole 485 process last more than 2 years - all because the machine has a problem with my fingers - watch out for that left little finger - the machine never gave me a passing score.

Oath

Mario123,

I had my interview yesterday. I was recommended for naturalization. I asked the IAO when my oath might be. He said he did not have that information and the only thing he has been asked to say is that it might take upto 3 months.

I asked him about the May ceremony in Austin. He told me that it was going to be a big ceremony and he did not have any further information other than that a ceremony takes place every month in SA and there is going to be this one big one in Austin. He told me that I would get a letter about a week before my Oath ceremony.

Thanks for keeping the thread alive.

Congratulations

Mario123,

I had my interview yesterday. I was recommended for naturalization. I asked the IAO when my oath might be. He said he did not have that information and the only thing he has been asked to say is that it might take upto 3 months.

I asked him about the May ceremony in Austin. He told me that it was going to be a big ceremony and he did not have any further information other than that a ceremony takes place every month in SA and there is going to be this one big one in Austin. He told me that I would get a letter about a week before my Oath ceremony.

Thanks for keeping the thread alive.

Congratulations!

I really hope more people would keep this thread alive besides me :mad:

At any rate, I don't see why you shouldn't be at the Austin oath. I hate it how all these SA IO's don't seem to have a clue about the oath - when I went to my IP, the IO there too seemed clueless and actually told me that there are a lot more than 1 oath in Austin!! :cool: I almost fell soooo jealous looking at these San Jose, NJ, NY, Atlanta posters who get their N-445's the same day as their interviews. Did you ask him if your FBI background checks and name checks were complete? Look at the link in my sig. - I hope you don't have to go through that ;)

I hope you can contribute more to this thread - info, any info is our only source of power.

Folks,

I received my Oath letter for Austin today in the mail. It is on May 11@Delco Center.

Congratulations

Folks,

I received my Oath letter for Austin today in the mail. It is on May 11@Delco Center.

Congratulations! Cool!

Looks like you are the first one in this new batch... Can you post your timeline? When did you have your interview and when was the N-445 mailed out and received by you? Just trying to get an idea of how the CIS works with U.S. mail :)

Last edited by a moderator:
mailing prioritization

I'm wondering about how CIS prioritizes the mailing of oath letters - do people who had interviews during the first week of Feb get their letters before those who interviewed during the latter part of the month?

It would be good if those who are active here create signatures with their timelines - it's otherwise hard to figure out this stuff

I had interview on Feb 7th and my spouse had interview on Feb 20th. As mentioned earlier I got my Oath letter yesterday and my spouse got the Oath letter today. Oath is on May 11@Delco Center, Austin, Texas.

Hang on guys y'all should receive the letter by this weekend.

Oath May 11@Delco Center

I got mine as well today. Oath on May 11th Delco Center. Thanks for Mario, Austin, and everyone i missed.

Congratulations

I got mine as well today. Oath on May 11th Delco Center. Thanks for Mario, Austin, and everyone i missed.

Congratulations pvdctm!

When exactly was your interview?

I'm starting to get very anxious now that you both (Dump & yourself) have gotten your N-445's......... I'm wondering why my wife hasn't gotten hers at the very least since she had her int. on 2/6/2007... it could be that during my int., I asked the IO to see if they could schedule both of us on the same day. So she put a yellow sticky on my file with my wife's A# and a small note (probably saying something to the effect of "schedule for same oath date as me"). Do you think they are sending oath letters based on interview dates? If so, then how come Dump's wife who had her int. on 2/20/2007 has already gotten her letter? Doesn't make sense!

Oath Letter

Hi Guys,
I' ve been watching this forum for a little bit now, and this is my first post.
Mario, I' m in the same boat as you, my Do is NY, I had my interview in mid-March and I' m still waiting for the Oath letter. I called the 800 # many times, but no update, except one time, the lady was a little bit more helpfull and opened up a different screen after i told her that my file is not at the SC.
Then she told me that I was pre-Approved but they have to do additional security checks, and usely they are done very quickly. I ' m still waiting.
One thing I know is that if you change ur name, and depending on the IO, they will run another name check. In your case, you made made a big mistake by asking them to schedule the oath for you and your wife @ the same time. Your wife had a name change, and your oath scheduling is depending on her case. hope this helps a little bit. All we have to do is wait.

Congratulations pvdctm!

When exactly was your interview?

I'm starting to get very anxious now that you both (Dump & yourself) have gotten your N-445's......... I'm wondering why my wife hasn't gotten hers at the very least since she had her int. on 2/6/2007... it could be that during my int., I asked the IO to see if they could schedule both of us on the same day. So she put a yellow sticky on my file with my wife's A# and a small note (probably saying something to the effect of "schedule for same oath date as me"). Do you think they are sending oath letters based on interview dates? If so, then how come Dump's wife who had her int. on 2/20/2007 has already gotten her letter? Doesn't make sense!

still waiting :)

Hi Guys,
I' ve been watching this forum for a little bit now, and this is my first post.
Mario, I' m in the same boat as you, my Do is NY, I had my interview in mid-March and I' m still waiting for the Oath letter. I called the 800 # many times, but no update, except one time, the lady was a little bit more helpfull and opened up a different screen after i told her that my file is not at the SC.
Then she told me that I was pre-Approved but they have to do additional security checks, and usely they are done very quickly. I ' m still waiting.
One thing I know is that if you change ur name, and depending on the IO, they will run another name check. In your case, you made made a big mistake by asking them to schedule the oath for you and your wife @ the same time. Your wife had a name change, and your oath scheduling is depending on her case. hope this helps a little bit. All we have to do is wait.
AHC845,

Actually, we didn't really ask for a name change - we just asked the IO to drop my wife's middle name. Is that a name change? Who knows - the IO too didn't give us a clear answer because this only came up after he CALLED my wife on our home phone to ask her for a birth certificate. During the int., he didn't make a big deal about it and just told my wife that it would be fine - it was 3 days later when he called our house and asked for the birth cert. At that point, my wife just told him not to worry about it and NOT to make any changes. He then pursuaded my wife and told her that he will just drop the middle name.......

We had an IP a couple of weeks ago and the IO told us that we are scheduled for oath.... but as you can see, it's hard to really take their word for granted. So..... I'm going to wait till Friday/Sat and if we don't get our letters by then, I'll do another IP. Gosh this is getting really really painful.

Can someone please answer my questions above about how the DO might be processing oath letters? First come/first served based on interview dates? Or some random magical formula? I would have to think that it's not as simple as picking apps. off a pile and creating oath letters? It has to be automated to some extent...

Oath letter

Mario,

Some cases get picked up randomly for additional security checks. Look in NSC/Columbus(Ohio) thread, Post # 122 by Gabbar. He's in the same situation. You can't predict what the IO will do, or has done with your file.
I have scheduled an IP for 4/23/07, I' ll see what's gonna happen then. Hopefully I get my oath letter by then. I really don't wanna go, it will take me the hole day to go to the DO just to hear wait 90 days from the date of your interview.:confused: :(

AHC845,

Actually, we didn't really ask for a name change - we just asked the IO to drop my wife's middle name. Is that a name change? Who knows - the IO too didn't give us a clear answer because this only came up after he CALLED my wife on our home phone to ask her for a birth certificate. During the int., he didn't make a big deal about it and just told my wife that it would be fine - it was 3 days later when he called our house and asked for the birth cert. At that point, my wife just told him not to worry about it and NOT to make any changes. He then pursuaded my wife and told her that he will just drop the middle name.......

We had an IP a couple of weeks ago and the IO told us that we are scheduled for oath.... but as you can see, it's hard to really take their word for granted. So..... I'm going to wait till Friday/Sat and if we don't get our letters by then, I'll do another IP. Gosh this is getting really really painful.

Can someone please answer my questions above about how the DO might be processing oath letters? First come/first served based on interview dates? Or some random magical formula? I would have to think that it's not as simple as picking apps. off a pile and creating oath letters? It has to be automated to some extent...

Oath letter received!!!!!!!!!((:):::::)))))))

Hip hip hooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooorrrarrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Okay, let me slap myself and try to calm down!!! It's OVVVEEERRR D O N E, okay maybe not quite.

Did you'll guess yet? If you'll haven't -- let me clue you all in

Ooops, my subject line gave it up. Sorry :D

Okay, we both received our Oath letters (N-445) in the mail today - prepared on 4/10, mailed on 4/11 (my dad's birthday) and recvied this afternoon, 4/12!! Oath is on 5/11 (my sister's birthday!!). Red section B.

Okay, now let me go sip a few cold ones :cool: