New thread for MAY, 2001 I-485 Mailers to CSC

MY EAD is still pending..

I checked AVM yesterday and EAD is still pending..
FP done ahead of schedule. Any one have FBI number to check FP status??? PLEase
GRAMS

FP for San Jose Area ?

Did anyone from San Jose ASC area receive FP notice recently? ( in the new wave of FP notices)

Went for FP today..though scheduled for 11/9.....INS declined to do this...said I can do it at the m

How?

Raj, what excuse did you use? - or do they not care?
(some people like Singh are refused)

What if one gets laid off while I-485 is being processed?

I\'m on H-1B and GC is in process. App sent 05/07/01, ND 7/17, AP approved, waiting for EAD, No FP yet.

What is the best plan of action if one is laid off now? Thanks.

Get your interim EAD from the Local INS Office

My advice to you: Since 90 days have gone by since you filed for AOS (i.e 90 days from Receved Date), you are entitled to go to your local INS office and obtain your EAD card (TIP: go *very* early in the morning!). You get the card right there and then - no questions asked. You can use the EAD to work for any company. So even if you are laid off, you are okay and should get your Green Card per the AC21 rule if INS takes over 180 days to adjucate your case -- as long you move to a "same or similar" job.

You are in status

I want to let you know that there is a lot of discussion on this 180-day rule (part of AC21) on this site as well as other well known sites like www.murthy.com (check the archived \'Chat\' Section there). I think you will find that useful.
Since your 485 application is filed and pending, you are absolutely in status and legal here -- you just won\'t be able to work till you get the EAD. Though there is no rule about finding the next job in \'X no. of days\' in this case (in fact, AC21 itself is still pending specific regulation instructions from INS, so one does not know how exactly INS will interpret it!), here are my 2 cents: If you have not been laid off yet, do try to stay on for the 180 days with your employer if you can (use vacations if possible?). I say this because attorneys themselves disagree (since INS has yet to announce specifics on regulating AC21) whether the employee needs to be employed with the sponsoring employer for the full 180days or not. After 180 days of course (and if you are already laid of), do try to find a job as soon as possible in the same/similar field.

It is unclear what exactly \'same/similar\' means but one attorney directed me to the following useful link for job titles used by the Dept of Lobor: http://edc.dws.state.ut.us/owl.asp

Best of luck!

Can also use H1 transfer...

Kobayashi, one last thing on this topic from me: you don\'t have to use the EAD even after you get it. You can apply for an H1 from the new employer (i.e H1->H1 transfer). With the new Premium Processing law, you can pay $1000 and get that done in 15 days. The reason I mention this is because some attorneys recommend this apporach to using the EAD....if for any reason your 485 is denied, then the EAD is automatically revoked...but you would still be in status if you moved jobs using the H1 trasnsfer. So, just an fyi.

Phx FP experience

AZ-Boy,

We (self and spouse) reached around PHX ASC at 9a.m. no queues. Went inside we were asked to fill up a form after we showed our FP notice and Passport.We were not asked any questions at the FP being done early, the staff was courteous. We were given tokens 26& 27 . We waited for more than an hour and half before we were called. (There is a centrally airconditioned sitting area). The FP went pretty smoothly. Once FP is done the incharge or superior checks to see if they are in order and okays them. We were out by 11 a.m.By this time the room was full. The ASC does only FP for I 485 and a host of other types applications.
Hope it helps.
csg raj.

FP done today (10/9), scheduled date is 11/9

No questions asked.
Just be patient if there are too many people. It took me 2 hours.

immiviewer