• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

New Senate Bill- DV to be cancelled. This Bill to be voted on next Monday, May 21.

The President does not have a line item veto option. He either approves the whole bill or declines it but does not have a right to approve the cancellation of the lottery and decline the other parts.

This is what I was told by a citizen coworker (not a lawyer)

The President does not have a line item veto option. He either approves the whole bill or declines it but does not have a right to approve the cancellation of the lottery and decline the other parts.

This is what I was told by a citizen coworker (not a lawyer)

I'm asking again with example:

If Senate passed S.1348 (include eliminate DV), but Representative rejected,
but Representative passed HR.1430 (eliminate DV), how come?
what's next? Because both of them agreed eliminate DV but not in the same bill!

The link is for those who want to know more about legislation process.

Legislation Process: How a Senate Bill Becomes a Law
http://www.senate.gov/reference/resources/pdf/legprocessflowchart.pdf

I'm asking again with example:

If Senate passed S.1348 (include eliminate DV), but Representative rejected,
but Representative passed HR.1430 (eliminate DV), how come?
what's next? Because both of them agreed eliminate DV but not in the same bill!
Imagine that Senate passes S.1348. If S.1348 is ammended by House of Representatives (e.g. some changes about DV program),
it will go back to Senate. If Senate disagrees to the amendment, they requests a conference according to this chart.
I think I understand what you meant to say. But, we don't know if H.R.1430 will be reported at this moment.

Last edited by a moderator:
The chances that both senate and house will vote on a bill that singly eliminates the DV lottery in 2007 are very slim. Moreover, chances the president would sign that bill in 2007 are even slimmer.

The president will only sign a comprehensive immigration reform. Both senate and the president were clear that they do not want to deal with bills which address only small portions of the immigration issue. They want a major law change and total revision of the immigration system.

The HR.1430 is dangerous because if passed in to law, the effective date would be Oct 2007. This means that all DV 2008 green cards would be cancelled. However, I doubt that anyone will look at this bill at this point. Most have their mind sent on the big reform. This bill was introduced in March and has not moved since then.

S.1348 only changes the number of DV visas. However, again, this bill has been replaced by the comprehensive immigration reform,

So, the only thing we need to follow is the immigration reform bill that is currently being debated in the senate. This bill eliminates the DV lottery but the effective date is Oct 2008. This means that DV visas will be available for 2008 winners.

The comprehensive immigration is a very controversial issue. No one is really sure about its destiny. The DV lottery is not a big issue for the republicans or democrats. No one wants it any more. The big issues are the illegal immigrates, family immigration, and merit point based system. It is these issues that will decide if this bill becomes a law or not. Although many politicians are pushing for the bill to pass, there will be many amendments and a big debate in the senate and the house of representatives.

In my opinion, US current messy immigration law is much better than what they are proposing now. Judging by the press reports, may agree with me. The US need to take time and develop a good system that is fair but also protects the future of this country. Now they are trying to make such a huge change in 2 months time. Big mistake.

Let us see how the situation develops in the next 3 months. Many believe that if the law is not passed before Sep 2007, there won’t be a new law for next several years due to the political games and the presidential race in the US.

Good luck all.

I just got this Fox News Alert -

SENATE IMMIGRATION BILL FAILS CRUCIAL VOTE, MAJORITY LEADER HARRY REID PULLS LEGISLATION

CIR Daily Update 6/7/07 by AILA: Cloture Vote Fails; Reid Pulls Bill From Senate Consideration

Evening Motion to Invoke Cloture
After much behind the scenes negotiating between key Senators on both sides of the aisle throughout the day, Majority Leader Reid late this evening submitted another motion to invoke cloture. At 9 pm, the votes were tallied and the motion to invoke cloture was defeated. Following this defeat, Majority Leader Reid withdrew the bill from floor consideration. As a result, the senate's immigration reform measure has been pulled for the time being. Senate leaders on both sides of the aisle did express a desire to bring the
measure back to the floor in the not too distant future. This could mean in a few weeks, or a few months. See you in Orlando.

Source: http://www.aila.org/content/default.aspx?docid=22613

I suppose this is positive news for DV-08 winners, not so great for the 12 million illegal immigrants in the US! Anyway this story is all over the news here in Ireland.

Is thist last decision, or we have gotta wait for next steps?
What about the affects on Dv-2oo9 that last new?
Thanks.

Is thist last decision, or we have gotta wait for next steps?
What about the affects on Dv-2oo9 that last new?
Thanks.

I don’t think its the last decision by a long shot, these reforms are coming eventually its just a matter of time. Once the senate agree on the bill in some form it will most likely be passed and signed into law. Remember that these reforms in various bills/forms have been floating around since 2005. Something that is on a scale such as this will take years to eventually get signed into law. I think that unless the timing of the bill coincides with the DV time frame (highly unlikely) then there may come a time either DV-09 or DV-10 when winners may be disappointed, and told that the lottery is to be scraped. But for now at least is full steam ahead for the DV! :)

Guys,

I know DV2008 winners are in the same boat as we DV2007 winners were in 2006 when the whole Lottery cancellation/ammendment bill was up for voting.

I have never followed the US legal system so closely until the cancellation was imminent last year which would have affected DV2007 winners. As we all know now that bill died. When a congress session ends so does any bills being worked on and hence the previous Immigration died last year.

Now Congress is in 110th session from 2007 and will end at end of 2008 so chances of immigration reform bill being passed in this session is virtually 90% guaranteed.

For more valuable information on how the voting /law process works read this thread with info from Deuce :

http://www.clalar.dk/dv-lottery/viewtopic.php?t=353&start=15

Please note the above link refers to bill last year which would have ended lottery or ammended it begining from DV2007 winner...of course that never happened but it has very good info on the process.

But now the Current bill (S1348) this year in senate failed for a cloture vote on 07th June 2007. What this means is that senators voted against ending anymore debate on the bill and to go straight for vote on bill in its current form. The cloture vote failure basically drags the bill now and will be back in future in Senate for more debate which can happen in days/weeks/months, however weeks is more realistic timeframe.

Even if the senate bill gets voted for Yes, it will then go to House of representatives for voting. Any differences will need to be reconciled by Conference committee before a final version agreed by both senate and House of Representatives will got to president for signing before the law kicks in

This year its different with bill originating from Senate rather then house of Rep first. When and if the bill gets passed in Senate and sent to House, there it will go thru some major changes/debate as House of Rep this session is majority Democrats and Democrats are Pro Immigration

The effective date is interesting. If passed with effective from 1st Oct 2007 then whatever changes proposed i.e Visa reduction or total elimination, it will apply to DV2008 winners regardless of you having received winner notification letter or even interview letter. I can however confidently say that the way things are going, DV2008 will be safe from any changes especially if S.1348 has been ammended to have effective date to be Oct 1st 2008 like some of you have posted ( i havent read the actual text of the lottery proposal on thomas site).

FYI, S.1639 has been introduced. Regarding elimination of DV program, read SEC 505. I think the section is same as the one in S.1348.
http://www.aila.org/content/default.aspx?docid=22682

Yep its back!

I have to say it’s fairly clear now, according to it:

“The amendments made by this section shall take effect on
October 1, 2008;

No alien may receive lawful permanent resident status based
on the diversity visa program on or after the effective date of
this section.”

As soon as this bill is signed into law it will be the end of the DV from that point on.

I don’t think that they can make it any clearer then they have.

I just read it there and realised it said 1st October 2008, not 1st October 2007,
so I think that’s good news for DV-08 but there will be no DV-09??

I am surprised that no one has posted any comments here, this bill is due to make a come back in the senate shortly and it looks like they have explicitly declared in the current version that the DV will be cancelled from 1st October 2008. Am I right? Anybody else who knows more about this, I would like to hear your comments.
I take it that if this bill is signed into law then it will not any more have any affect on the DV-2008 lottery??
It will of course mean the end of all subsequent lotteries?
What do people think? Surely Its good news for DV-2008 winners? I thought that DV08 winners would be happy about this.
Of course the bill its self is not all that great, I have done loads of reading around it, and it seems like its going to solve loads of problems while creating loads of new ones?
In some regards its bad news as there will be no more DV lotteries. But it looks as though they will be changing the H visa process to favour skilled workers? So maybe now people who would have been trying for the DV lottery may have a better chance of a regular visa based on the new system?
Anyway if this means that the DV-2008 is going ahead then I am happy enough, it means that the hurdle of the lottery being cancelled before my CN is reached next year is finally removed.
What do people thing in general?

Fatigue

I am surprised that no one has posted any comments here, this bill is due to make a come back in the senate shortly and it looks like they have explicitly declared in the current version that the DV will be cancelled from 1st October 2008. Am I right? Anybody else who knows more about this, I would like to hear your comments.
I take it that if this bill is signed into law then it will not any more have any affect on the DV-2008 lottery??
It will of course mean the end of all subsequent lotteries?
What do people think? Surely Its good news for DV-2008 winners? I thought that DV08 winners would be happy about this.
Of course the bill its self is not all that great, I have done loads of reading around it, and it seems like its going to solve loads of problems while creating loads of new ones?
In some regards its bad news as there will be no more DV lotteries. But it looks as though they will be changing the H visa process to favour skilled workers? So maybe now people who would have been trying for the DV lottery may have a better chance of a regular visa based on the new system?
Anyway if this means that the DV-2008 is going ahead then I am happy enough, it means that the hurdle of the lottery being cancelled before my CN is reached next year is finally removed.
What do people thing in general?
After the emotionally intense posts last time and the subsequent implosion of the bill, I suspect that folks are fatigued and cynical this time around.
We will simply wait till Congress decides what to do.
Since we are all foreigners, we cannot significantly influence the process.
DV-08 winners are not terribly worried at this time because if the bill dies, then DV-08 winners are safe. If the bill survives in the current form, then DV-08 winners are still safe.
What will be, will be.

The U.S. Senate today effectively killed a sweeping immigration overhaul bill, dealing a major blow to President Bush and to a bipartisan group backing the legislation. The Senate was 14 votes short of the 60 needed to cut off debate and advance the bill. Some senators said the vote means immigration reform is "dead" for this Congress.
Looks good for a new lottery.

Dv 2008 Canceallation

Hi All,

What is the latest news about the 2008 dv lottery cancealation. Pls let me know the present situation

Jerry