new "border security" bill

malek

hello everybody, I got confused today as I was reading about the new bill (H.R. 3525) that was passed by the senate on thursday 18th concerning the new INS laws.
One particular section was very confusing: it states that there will be no nonimmigrant visas granted for persons from countries that are defined by the department of state as "terrorism sponsoring states" (Libya, Sudan, Syria, Iraq, Iran, North Korea, and Cuba). you can read the bill, section 307 at: www.senate.gov and then entering the bill number which is: H.R. 3525.

My situation:
I got a job in the US and I have to start in July. my emplyer will file my petition mid-May and they will do premium processing. problem is that I\'m in Syria now waiting for the approval notice by mid June to apply for the visa here. If the law passes all the way and get signed by the president, when do you think will it come into effect? and will it mean that there will be NO visas issued at the US embassies in these coutries?
the second question is that can I use my current non expired B2 visa to enter and then file for a change of status to H1 there?
please only respond if you\'re sure of what you\'re saying and be explicit in your responses.
Thanks in advance.
MW

Read Section 306

The bill has not yet been signed by president and it would become effective the date he signs.

Section 306 says:

> (a) IN GENERAL- No nonimmigrant visa under section 101(a)(15) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1101(a)(15)) shall be issued to any alien from a country that is a state sponsor of international terrorism unless the Secretary of State determines, in consultation with the Attorney General and the heads of other appropriate United States agencies, that such alien does not pose a threat to the safety or national security of the United States.

By mid May this bill may not be yet signed by the president so you can try for visa before that. Apart from the bill it also depends on the changes on State Dept. day to day operational policies and guidelines regarding issuance of visas.

thanks but...

but how will the dept. of state interpret the bill? how will they "determine that such alien does not pose a threat.."? will it be on a case-by-case level or on a categorical level (the category of the visa)? and are they referring to the current "administrative security check" of 20-30 days that is taking place NOW in US embassies in these countries before issuance of visas?