New job after I-485 approval

I know of cases where they jumped within a month or two of GC stamping; and they are doing fine. I don't know the law though.

I think changing job is legal, but I have heard it may cause some problems later during citizenship application. Any ideas?

l1seeker said:
How long one should wait before switching job with the company that processed ones GC?
Typically 3 to 4 months. But in my personal opinion with AC-21 it has lost its meaning.

Interesting

Tammy2,
Thanks for your comments. You have made an interesting point.

Once I-485 is approved and plastic card is received, can the company that filed 140 and 485 cancel the petition?

Regards.

l1seeker said:
Once I-485 is approved and plastic card is received, can the company that filed 140 and 485 cancel the petition?

They can request to revoke I-140. But not I-485.

revoking I-140

After 485 is approved 140 leaves no meaning. I believe that company can't do a thing after you receive the card. You can go and make faces at your manager, CEO and he/she can't do a thing....unless ofcourse he/she is strong built. (Just kidding....But I feel company can't do a thing after 485 approval)
I am not a lawyer. This is just my personal opinion.

Leaving too soon after GC approval comes into play when you apply for citizenship later on. They will ask how long you stayed at your employer after receiving the GC. If you left after a very short period of time, it can be viewed as fraud and your green card can be revoked. While there are no hard and fast answers to the amount of time one needs to remain at their job, (this has been debated countless times on these boards) the general consensus is 6 months to 1 year.

Bear in mind that there are no written rules on the amount of time. It is up to the USCIS officer to determine what is a reasonable amount of time. I think most people would agree that leaving after a month or so of your GC approval looks pretty darn bad. (Remember, the USCIS doesn't care how crappy your job might be. You took the job. You got your GC. You left the job voluntarily. That's what matters)

Although I've never personally heard of it, I'd imagine that the company you leave could complain to the USCIS that you used them to get your GC and then quit. The USCIS could then start an investigation into the company's complaint. I'd imagine that if it is found to be true, you could have your GC revoked. (That is speculation though....) There was a good thread that someone posted about a month ago from a lawyer that discussed these points. You should be able to do a search and find that thread.

Regards

Rav

ravioli_21_99 said:
Although I've never personally heard of it, I'd imagine that the company you leave could complain to the USCIS that you used them to get your GC and then quit. The USCIS could then start an investigation into the company's complaint. I'd imagine that if it is found to be true, you could have your GC revoked. (That is speculation though....) There was a good thread that someone posted about a month ago from a lawyer that discussed these points. You should be able to do a search and find that thread.

Regards

Rav

What will happen if he has used the AC-21?

Recent memo indicates that new AC-21 employer will not be considered as sponsorer to GC. Then who is supposed to complain to USCIS? Staying with employer makes sense in case of Consular processing but not in I-485 context.

My understanding of the AC-21 rule is that it is for pending 485s. Once your 485 has been approved, AC-21 is no longer applicable. Perhaps this has changed in the past few months, but that was always the way I understood it.

Regards

Rav

ravioli_21_99 said:
My understanding of the AC-21 rule is that it is for pending 485s. Once your 485 has been approved, AC-21 is no longer applicable. Perhaps this has changed in the past few months, but that was always the way I understood it.

Regards

Rav
That is OK. But my question is How does an AC-21 employer can complain to the USCIS about the intent of the person when employer never sponsored the GC?

Sorry. I was responding to the original question which said "After GC approval". Therefore, AC-21 has nothing to do with it.

Regards

Rav