New immigration bill and point system

gc_retrogress

Registered Users (C)
Can anyone describe briefly what this is all about? My PD became current and I was busy gathering docs for filing I-485, now I hear the new point based system etc.

What is this? How is it going to effect those who are going to apply I-485 or who are in I-485 status?

Will our applications be disqualified later? So that we prove our points for the new system? Something like this happened in UK I hope it does not happen here also.

:confused:

Can anyone describe briefly what this is all about? My PD became current and I was busy gathering docs for filing I-485, now I hear the new point based system etc.

What is this? How is it going to effect those who are going to apply I-485 or who are in I-485 status?

Will our applications be disqualified later? So that we prove our points for the new system? Something like this happened in UK I hope it does not happen here also.

:confused:

I doubt any existing applications would have to be refiled.. especially if you have already filed 485.

Besides, this law would probably go into effect not before jan'08, most probably with a transition period of about 1-2 years... so at least you are safe.. It is people like me whose 485 is not filed yet, will be a little worried.

anyone know what is going on with this bill?
does it look likely to be approved?

too many debates, too little time to track them all

anyone know what is going on with this bill?
does it look likely to be approved?

too many debates, too little time to track them all

According to some lawyers, some kind of a bill is likely to be passed by the end of this summer. there are some like immigration-law who think the senate version is a mess and the house will not pass the senate version.

If it does pass, it looks like they have set aside 90K per yr to clear the EB backlog. There will be additional visas for those in the merit-based system (MBS). My guess is that anyone in the EB system will be free to move to the MBS. Will they include people who have only filed for labor which is not approved yet in the 90K set aside for backlog? The answer to that is not clear, but I am guessing yes.

To know the final answer, we will just have to wait patiently until mid-July when the house sits in a conference with the senate.

thanks qp.

May not be a bad thing to switch if you have a late PD and qualify on points basis, since Murthy says "For the first five years after enactment of the proposal, the level would be set at a number that is believed to be 247,000. Of this number, 90,000 would be set aside for eliminating backlogs and 10,000 set aside for exceptional Y visa holders. "
So 147,000 for new cases, 1.5 times backlogged cases.

Wonder if PDs will be a factor in MBS, guess it depends on whether they will outright reject qualifying candidates if quota is used up, or if they will stand in line for next year.

Wonder if PDs will be a factor in MBS, guess it depends on whether they will outright reject qualifying candidates if quota is used up, or if they will stand in line for next year.
I hope they will outright reject people with the least points when the quota is used up. Or allow a carry-forward of no more than one year.