New I-94 from Canada

devsrk

Registered Users (C)
New I-94 from Canada - Urgent

Hi,

My situation is this. Working on L1 with company A for the last 8 months. Company B was willing to sponsor a H1 for me, hence applied for H1. However, instead of appying for a new H1, they applied for a transfer of status from L1 to H1 and the transfer was approved 45 days back. I have been working for company A continuosly all this while and I wish to continue on L1. I believe that if I go to Canada, return my I-94 to the US immigration officer in Canada and get a new I-94, my status will be ok. I am not a citizen of Canada.

1. Anyone has any experience in getting a new I-94?

2. Is it bad that I have worked with company A for the last 45 days?

3. Are there any risks that I should be concerned about?

Thanks in advance for all your replies.

Devsrk

Last edited by a moderator:
If you do not want to use the approved H1, that is entirely ok. Actually by going to canada and getting the I94, resets your change request to h1. Your h1 is abandoned (arguably) and you can return to L1 nest.

hi,

Continuing to work with Company A is not a problem as long as you didn't start working for company B. You can start working for Company B at a later date if you like if B has not revoked your H1.

Why do you need a new I-94 when you are continuing with your previous L-1. They may not take your I-94 leaving US for Canada and in that case they wont' give you a new I-94 since the one you have is still valid. Hope I have answered your question. A friend of mine went to Canada for a new I94 and they didnt' give her one since her orginal was valid, this was about a year back.