New I-864 but no W2s, as well as Joint sponsor

cdnchris

Registered Users (C)
The new I-864 form states that my wife (the sponsor) has to send in a copy of her latest tax return with W2 slips. Unfortunately we have been living in Canada the past couple of years and she worked there for all of last year, so she did not receive W2 slips, instead she received Canadian T4 slips. She filed a 1040 tax return in the States, along with a 1116 (Foreign Tax Credit, since she paid taxes to Canada) I guess I'm wondering is it good enough that we send a copy of the 1116 along with the 1040 or should we also send the T4s? Would they even accept that or know what they are?

As well, while she does technically make enough at her current job (we are in the States now), her father has agreed to be a joint sponsor just in case there are problems. He's sending a copy of his passport as evidence of being a citizen, but his passport expires in a couple of months? Is that an issue? He was naturalized (I think the term is) and has a certificate, but there's some crap on it about it being illegal to make copies. Can we even send a copy of that?

Thanks!

Yes, take the Canadian slips, they may not be interested, but then you have it just to be safe. And of course take the 1040 and the tax credit form.

Good idea to get a joint sponsor, b/c they can ask for 3 years of income at the required level. The passport should be fine, since when a passport expires, citizenship does not, you just get a new passport. It should be good enough proof. However, do make a copy of the naturalization certificate - as far as I know, it is not illegal to make copies for USCIS, only if done for other, usually criminal, purposes.

Good luck

The tax return is a way to verify many things in the sponsor (from her status in the tax return to employment/income issues) and to verify that she paid US taxes of course. Since she filed a 1040 she is okay...the problem if she is not working right now in the US she needs to proof that she can support you, so she probably will need a joint sponsor.

Good luck,

You can just have 1040 or 1040EZ with the T4. Tax forms should be okay. You, or your spouse, can also request from IRS the previous tax forms. My wife lost some of her W2's, so our lawyer told us to request tax record from IRS. IRS got her tax forms from previous years to us in about a week. For more information about request previous tax forms, you can visit the IRS website, www.irs.gov.