New H1 visa interview 10 days prior to start date

aashna_1

Hello friends,

I am currently in US on H4 visa and I have two queries regarding H1 stamping :

1) I recently got an approved H1 petition with an employment start date of July 1st 2005. I intend to get my visa stamped in June when I travel to India. Would I able to appear for my visa interview anytime in June or do I have to wait till June 20th.

In Calcutta consulate website, it states that one may apply for an H1B visa no earlier than 10 days prior to the start date listed on the Employment Petition.

My employer has an urgent need for me to join on July 1st 2005. I can get a letter from them stating this need. My concern is if I wait till June 20th for my visa interview, I might not be able to get back to US in time.

2) Also I belong to Chennai consular district, however I intend to apply in Calcutta due to unavailability of appointments in Chennai in June. I shall get a letter from my employer stating the urgent need for me to begin employment on July 1st, would this document be sufficient for applying to Calcutta consulate.

Your answers to these queries would be of immense help and are greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator: