New H1-B Stamping in Canada as India too Busy ??

dancedude007

Registered Users (C)
Hello Everyone,

I am in a tricky situation wrt to selecting the consulate/country for getting my H1-B Stamped. I am currently working in India and have got an approved H1-B and need to get it stamped on my Passport. There are no Appointments available till Feb-Mar in most consulates in India. Its incredibly booker till far ahead…..

I also have a permanent Resident Card of Canada since though I have not lived there for long. I have the following questions / concerns:

1) Is it possible that I can go to any US consulate in Canada and get my H1- B stamped within a day or two after reaching Canada ?

2) Would this create any problems since Canada is not my Home country and I would have recently arrived there from India, though I can legally be there because of my Canadian Residency? I am not sure if H1- B stamping requires us to show Strong ties in terms of Financial Assets/ Property and long term presence in a country as we would have to for a F1 and B1 visa. US consulates strongly discourage people for applying for B1 visas from countries other than their home/Resident country.

I have lived earlier in US for about 4 yrs and have expired F1 and H1-visas on my passport?

Would appreciate any insights or your experience!!.

Thanks.

Blue Flame

some pointers

A lot of people are going to Canada or Mexico due to this very reason. I am considering going to Canada myself. On this forum, there is another section called 'H-visas at the consulates' or something similar. You can find a lot of posts by people who went to Canada for their visas.

However, you need to make an appointment to go to the embassies in Canada too. Go to the consular website and you will find a link to the site that makes appointments. I do not know what the wait times are at the Canadian locations.

If you are legally allowed to stay in Canada, there should be no problem in going there. If you can stay there, you can probably apply for a visa there. I am pretty sure you will be questioned about this decision at the consulate, but explain your situation. Waiting three months for an appointment is ridiculous and even they will understand.

I know that there is the possiblity of calling ttservices in Indian and requesting an earlier date from them if you can prove concretely that you CAN NOT wait for an appointment from an indian consulate. I think that they can plug you in when somebody cancels.

Good luck and do return and let us know how things go

[This is not legal advise]