NEW Guidelines for DS- 230-I ?

GreenMD2003

Registered Users (C)
It was my understanding that you could keep DS-230-I ready and mail it to
NVC as soon as you get Pack-3.

Now few people have posted that now a days they are getting instruction with pack three saying do not use form from internet and use the forms they send.

1] Is it true ?

2]Does it mean that you have to use exact same form or you can use similar form?

3] How will NVC know if you download it from net?

4] will it be still possible to kke Ds 230 ready and send it as soon as you get it from NVC.

Guys , Please check with your lawyer on this important issue and post the feed back here.

hi there,

I emailed my attorney- unfortunately their office is closed this week, I will post the info as soon as I hear from them. But in any case, this is what NVC said when I called them:

- they send out the form they accept, and you are supposed to mail that back. they have no way of telling whether you got the form from the net or from elsewhere, but they only accept the type of form (expiration date, number, etc) they sent to you. As long as those are the same, you can prepare and send back the first page- barcode and the 230 you prepared to them. However, if you happened to compile the expired version, and they've sent you the new one, you have to transfer the info to the newer form and send that back to them. The operator said that she doesn't know which form (expired or the new one) they are sending out now. Sometimes gov. agencies are really strict about expiration dates, like the new non-immigrant visa forms, sometimes procedures are more lax - I suspect this to be the case with the new IV forms as the old and the new seems to be virtually identical!
In addition,
- NVC gave me the phone number 18008703676- from where you can order immigration forms. The operator said that NVC accepts either those, or the from they send to you. this 1800 number is essentially an answering machine where you can record your name, address, the number of copies and the number of the forms you need. They will mail the forms to you. I've used this before, very reliable service!

Hope this helps,
i140inCA

Ds-230 form: new or old?

GreenMD2003 said:
It was my understanding that you could keep DS-230-I ready and mail it to NVC as soon as you get Pack-3. ..............check with your lawyer on this important issue and post the feed back here.

Yes. after receiving your file from USCIS (e.g. approved I-140), NVC sends the fee bill first. When you send the fee back to St Louis (by USPS as it is a PO Box facility), then they send you the packet 3. after that, you have to send your DS-230.

You don't have to use the DS-230 form supplied by NVC and may also use the one from DOS website. read this thread for detailed reply regarding New Vs old DS-230 form.
http://boards.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=156343

FYI, got the P3 recently - notice a few changes. From the instruction sheets, 1st 2 sheets have been changed (they carry a date of Sept 2004). They are now asking for DS230 Part 1, Bar coded sheet and photocopy of "biographic passport page" that shows your name and date/place of birth. Do not know if this was there earlier, but they also ask for your case # to be written on the RHS top corner of every sheet. The forms look the same as the downloaded copies except for the yellow shading that comes when you print the downloaded form

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks! i think it's safe to download and fill in the 2007 forms. i'll post my lawyers's response as soon as i hear from them.