New Electronic passport to all public from August 14th, 2006

tucows

Registered Users (C)
Here are details cut and pasted from state department web site:

http://usinfo.state.gov/xarchives/d...06&m=August&x=20060814153646cmretrop0.2886316

14 August 2006

U.S. Passports Move into a New Era
Electronic passports are designed to improve security, facilitate travel

Washington – The U.S. Department of State began issuing electronic passports – e-passports – to the American public August 14 as another step in an ongoing program to enhance border security and to facilitate travel.

The new generation of passports includes biometric technology, a computer chip that contains the same data as those found on the biographic data page of the passport. Those data include name, gender, date and place of birth, and the passport’s issue and expiration dates. The chip also includes a digital image of the bearer’s photograph.

The document is scanned by border officials when the bearer presents it, and the data in the document are matched against that stored away in databases. Its design also is intended to defy forgery and falsification.

In a Washington File interview earlier in 2006, State Department Consular Affairs spokeswoman Laura Tischler said the United States is leading global efforts to ensure the e-passport "is a secure, globally interoperable document that meets [international] standards."

The International Civil Aviation Organization has devised standards for the making of passports in the digital age, and most nations now are redesigning their documents to comply with that standard.

Discussing the benefits of the e-passport, Tischler said the document prevents fraud and protects identity. "f stolen, it makes it incredibly difficult for someone else to use your passport. [The e-passport] gives border inspectors a new tool to verify you are the person to whom a given government issued that document," she said.

The new U.S. e-passport also is designed to protect the privacy of the bearer, Tischler said. “The information contained on the integrated circuit embedded in the passport will not provide a means to track U.S. citizens. This information will be used only in identity verification at ports of entry during travel."

To prevent data written to the chip from being susceptible to unauthorized reading, Tischler said that “anti-skimming” shielding material has been incorporated in the passports front cover. That material prevents the chip from being read when the passport book is closed, she said.

Additional information on the U.S. electronic passport is available on the State Department Web site.

(Distributed by the Bureau of International Information Programs, U.S. Department of State. Web site: http://usinfo.state.gov)

Last edited by a moderator:
In Washington, D.C. they have been issuing the new e-Passport to the general public since March/April this year. Everybody I know who applied for an expedited passport at the State Department's acceptance facility in downtown D.C. was issued a new passport.

Cheers!

Legal

I have seen some people paying a lot of money for expedited passport right after they become citizens or mailing their documents overnight shipping :p

If you are in hurry it's understandable, but otherwise it's just a waste of money :eek:

tucows said:
Here are details cut and pasted from state department web site:

http://usinfo.state.gov/xarchives/d...06&m=August&x=20060814153646cmretrop0.2886316

14 August 2006

U.S. Passports Move into a New Era
Electronic passports are designed to improve security, facilitate travel

Washington – The U.S. Department of State began issuing electronic passports – e-passports – to the American public August 14 as another step in an ongoing program to enhance border security and to facilitate travel.

The new generation of passports includes biometric technology, a computer chip that contains the same data as those found on the biographic data page of the passport. Those data include name, gender, date and place of birth, and the passport’s issue and expiration dates. The chip also includes a digital image of the bearer’s photograph.

The document is scanned by border officials when the bearer presents it, and the data in the document are matched against that stored away in databases. Its design also is intended to defy forgery and falsification.

In a Washington File interview earlier in 2006, State Department Consular Affairs spokeswoman Laura Tischler said the United States is leading global efforts to ensure the e-passport "is a secure, globally interoperable document that meets [international] standards."

The International Civil Aviation Organization has devised standards for the making of passports in the digital age, and most nations now are redesigning their documents to comply with that standard.

Discussing the benefits of the e-passport, Tischler said the document prevents fraud and protects identity. "f stolen, it makes it incredibly difficult for someone else to use your passport. [The e-passport] gives border inspectors a new tool to verify you are the person to whom a given government issued that document," she said.

The new U.S. e-passport also is designed to protect the privacy of the bearer, Tischler said. “The information contained on the integrated circuit embedded in the passport will not provide a means to track U.S. citizens. This information will be used only in identity verification at ports of entry during travel."

To prevent data written to the chip from being susceptible to unauthorized reading, Tischler said that “anti-skimming” shielding material has been incorporated in the passports front cover. That material prevents the chip from being read when the passport book is closed, she said.

Additional information on the U.S. electronic passport is available on the State Department Web site.

(Distributed by the Bureau of International Information Programs, U.S. Department of State. Web site: http://usinfo.state.gov)

I think that the website also mentions that the Colorado facility is the only one; well beside Washington DC's, that is issuing the new RFID passport. So how can somebody who lives in texas get it?

mr. a said:
I have seen some people paying a lot of money for expedited passport right after they become citizens or mailing their documents overnight shipping :p

If you are in hurry it's understandable, but otherwise it's just a waste of money :eek:

My extended family on both side is in my home country and what if there is an emergency and need to travel. I would like to keep travel options with me and passport available as quikcly as possible. I believe this is the reasons many people on this forum request or requesting or will request expediated.

LegalAlien99 said:
In Washington, D.C. they have been issuing the new e-Passport to the general public since March/April this year. Everybody I know who applied for an expedited passport at the State Department's acceptance facility in downtown D.C. was issued a new passport.

Cheers!

Legal

You are right, the new passport type (i.e. electronic) may not be available for every one (except people in Denver area and DC area) until next few months until they upgrade or install new systems ever where. But I read lot of concerns about new passport security issues such as some one mentioned saying RFID in the passport can be readable easily with few feet by RFID sniffer etc. Some one also mentioned, wrap electronic passport in tin-foil to avoid being sniffed by skimming devices. When it comes to me, I perfer old style no-nonsense passport.

tucows said:
You are right, the new passport type (i.e. electronic) may not be available for every one (except people in Denver area and DC area) until next few months until they upgrade or install new systems ever where. But I read lot of concerns about new passport security issues such as some one mentioned saying RFID in the passport can be readable easily with few feet by RFID sniffer etc. Some one also mentioned, wrap electronic passport in tin-foil to avoid being sniffed by skimming devices. When it comes to me, I perfer old style no-nonsense passport.

You are talking based on completely unscientific beliefs and understanding. Can you point us to any credible source to what you saying about sniffing?

....."The U.S. Department of State began issuing biometric passports to government officials and diplomats in early 2006. It began issuing regular biometic passports at its Colorado Passport Agency on August 14, 2006; though they still expect that nearly all new or renewed passports issued by the department to American citizens will be biometric by the end of 2006, other sources say it won't happen until mid-2007.".......

:confused: