New Asylee from IJ, EAD card validation 1 or 2 years?

action6

Registered Users (C)
I am an asylee granteee and granted by a Judge in April,2007.
I filed for EAD card by sending the completed form to Nebraska agency 12 days after the asylum grant.
What will be the expiration date on the EAD once I receive it?
1 year or 2 years or maybe more?
Someone told me it will be valid for 2 years? true?
I know a lot has changed in asylum process since 2005.
U ever got asylum from JUdge in 2005,06 or 07 and filed for EAD card?

Also, When I went to the local ins office in my city to pick up I-94 card, The agent wrote valid till april 22-2008 or valid for one year. I showed the Judge's letter granting me asylum.
I polititely argued that it shouldn't have dates and should say valid for indef or indefinetely as it is in many asylee I-94 card, but he said no, we write valid for one year from the grant of asylum.
What's this? New change on asylee I-94 card?
I feel disapointed about the one year valid on the i-94 card and I think the agent or the officer is wrong in writing the expiration date on it, but maybe I am wrong and it is a new change.
What you know? Aware of any new changes to asylum process?
pass me info.
thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I am an asylee granteee and granted by a Judge in April,2007.
I filed for EAD card by sending the completed form to Nebraska agency 12 days after the asylum grant.
What will be the expiration date on the EAD once I receive it?
1 year or 2 years or maybe more?
Someone told me it will be valid for 2 years? true?
I know a lot has changed in asylum process since 2005.
U ever got asylum from JUdge in 2005,06 or 07 and filed for EAD card?

Also, When I went to the local ins office in my city to pick up I-94 card, The agent wrote valid till april 22-2008 or valid for one year. I showed the Judge's letter granting me asylum.
I polititely argued that it shouldn't have dates and should say valid for indef or indefinetely as it is in many asylee I-94 card, but he said no, we write valid for one year from the grant of asylum.
What's this? New change on asylee I-94 card?
I feel disapointed about the one year valid on the i-94 card and I think the agent or the officer is wrong in writing the expiration date on it, but maybe I am wrong and it is a new change.
What you know? Aware of any new changes to asylum process?
pass me info.
thanks
Hello,
I'm not aware of any changes.
1) About validation of I-94 you are right - should be valid Indef.
2) Since your I-94 card should be stamped Asylum granted by IJ/ Employment Authorized/ Valid Indef you don't need EAD.

Your I-94 shouldn't show any expiration date. It is for indefinite period and should be valid as long as you are an asylee.

As an asylee, you can get unresticted social security card and that will be your proof of work authorization. You don't need separate EAD card. You can simply show social security card and driver license when you go for new employment. If you wish to have an EAD card, that will work for both work authorization and Identity card but it is issued for a certain period (i forgot mine) and you have to renew again if you want. But in my opinion, it is just waste of time and money.

what to do? I talked with the officer at the local INS and told her that the I-94 issued to me the other day has an expiration date of April-23-2008 which is valid for one year cos I was granted asylum by a Judge on April 23 of 2007.
She told me the officer who wrote one year valid is right and date is correct and one year validation is what we write on it.
So I didn't argue and left the office. I dont think I need to worry about the I-94 one year valid cos I have the Judge's letter granting me asylum.

But what I should do about the I-94? Who else I should speak to to argue about the one yera valid on my I94 that has one year valid instead of indef?
Advise me.