New American Innovators Act (Introduced in House)

dnastar

Registered Users (C)
New American Innovators Act (Introduced in House)

HR 5634 IH

110th CONGRESS 2d Session

H. R. 5634
To exempt from numerical limitations any alien who has received a Ph.D. from an institution of higher education within the 3-year period preceding such alien's petition for special immigrant status.

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

March 13, 2008
Mr. KENNEDY (for himself and Mr. MCCAUL of Texas) introduced the following bill; which was referred to the Committee on the Judiciary

---------------

So what about folks who got a PhD before the three year mark (asssuming the bill passes the senate and congress)

dnastar - sorry for the naive question, could you please clarify what numerical limitations are referred to here. For I-485 EB categories? What is this special immigrant status. Thanks.

This will unnecessarily increase more number of applicants.
many postdocs can never use this. After the Ph.D few may get a job. most want to go for postdoc. univ. will not give you permanent position with in 3 years.
so those who go to industry can benefit from this and not those who stick to academics.

If I understand it correctly (I have yet to find the complete text of the bill, though - cannot find it from the Congress's website), it will relieve folks from retrogressed countries, but that is it - it does NOT create new visa category like the one introduced in last year's Immigration Reform Act (which eventually failed, as we all know). So, use the current situation as an example, it will only benefit recent (less than 3 years) PhD graduates from retrogressed countries if they apply for NIW (EB-2; currently retrogressed in India and China) or LC-based EB-2 I-140. It will not help those who apply for EB-1, since EB-1 is current for everyone now. However, it may benefit people who are in processing or will file application later from future retrogression.

these bills never pass....if i remember, last year there was something wherein PhDs should be given GCs by just paying a dollar amt ($1000)... so simple.....so donot raise your hopes too much..there are so many such bills for and against immigration that are brought up in the congress every year...nothing passes