• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Negative reaction from friends, co workers or family..

There's a lot of anti-Americanism throughout the world. I'm not saying everyone has to love the US, or any country, but the stereotypes and pure bigotry displayed towards Americans is mean and dumb. It's viewed as fashionable and progressive, superior thinking to disparage and sneer at Americans and the US. So some of the negative attitudes towards DV winners is due to that anti-Americanism. Others are probably just feeling envy.

This happens in schools around the world. There are always those that are jealous of the smart or pretty girls or boys so they think they are clever by being rude or negative toward the smart kid. That's ok, those rude kids usually end up working for the smart kid when he has made his fortune - and that is exactly the same with people's attitude toward the USA (the smart kid).

Yankee go home! (but take me with you)

Love this Hexa :) I can always rely on a smile in here from the DV entrants and winners.

Not long til opening time! Better get my photos in order hey?

Oh, and if I am selected next May, I will probably work really hard at keeping it under wraps, because a week after the results are out my son gets married :D Definately NOT the time to share the news ! Maybe it will be a happy year for a bunch of reasons next year :)

Q

Hmmm Franko, I am fat and British. SO - what is wrong with my country you ungrateful barsteward, and who are you calling fat????

There is nothing, almost nothing wrong with your country except for the freakin WEATHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If by any chance I could drag this crazy, green island south and place it next to Portugal I would not hesitate, wouldn't be thinking about moving to the US probably but the fact that I spent quite few months driving brand new, spanking Mustang around Cali (yes I was a bad boy and swapped my company Corolla for a muscle car, twice :D ) and the fact that I had the time of my life there, and the fact that my wife loves it there and...well you know, usual stuff. Always thought that this is the place where I would live...even with all the negative sides of the good ol' US of A. So please don't be upset. I still love my second homeland :D

And by the way...judging by your posts I did not imagine you fat, just "healthy British chubby" :p And who are you calling bastard :D

There is nothing, almost nothing wrong with your country except for the freakin WEATHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If by any chance I could drag this crazy, green island south and place it next to Portugal I would not hesitate, wouldn't be thinking about moving to the US probably but the fact that I spent quite few months driving brand new, spanking Mustang around Cali (yes I was a bad boy and swapped my company Corolla for a muscle car, twice :D ) and the fact that I had the time of my life there, and the fact that my wife loves it there and...well you know, usual stuff. Always thought that this is the place where I would live...even with all the negative sides of the good ol' US of A. So please don't be upset. I still love my second homeland :D

And by the way...judging by your posts I did not imagine you fat, just "healthy British chubby" :p And who are you calling bastard :D

LOL Franko.

You know it's funny. when it comes down to it the weather is probably the most tangible "reason" we have for moving to the States. We have also both spent a lot of time there and know we can have a nice life there - but we are also having a nice life in the UK. All the stuff we can control, (money, work, education and so on) are all just fine in the UK - but all those things will be just slightly better in the States. The weather on the other hand we can't control and we are sick of have three week summers and 9 month winters. So yeah - you hit the nail on the head.

And thanks for the kindly mental image - but I am just fat.

There's a lot of anti-Americanism throughout the world. I'm not saying everyone has to love the US, or any country, but the stereotypes and pure bigotry displayed towards Americans is mean and dumb. It's viewed as fashionable and progressive, superior thinking to disparage and sneer at Americans and the US. So some of the negative attitudes towards DV winners is due to that anti-Americanism. Others are probably just feeling envy.

Agree 100%

I wish I can take credit for that one-liner, but somebody else invented it a long time ago...