Need your valuable views / advice - Going from H1B to F1.

stocknsurf

Registered Users (C)
I am currently in the USA and I am a H1B visa holder with admission for Ph.D program in US university for Fall \'02. I have never applied for Green card. I intend to go from H1B to F1 for the coming Fall semester. Looks like applying for COS by remaining inside the USA using form I-539 takes a long time (6 months minimum) to get approved and one is not allowed to work part-time or take any assistantship during this time, a major drawback.

Does any one have the experience of converting your visa from H1B to F1 by going to Mexico or Canada? What is the risk of rejection, particularly for a Ph.D ? What are the questions asked? How important are the pay stubs or is a letter of employment enough from the employer? I would really appreciate if you can share your views on this.

Also does anyone know if the recent changes in the rules for a visitor visa and going from a visitor visa to student visa has any effect on going from H1B visa to F1 visa? Does it speed up the COS from H1B to F1?(like 30 days to go from B1 to F1 according to the new rule) or does the time taken remains the same (around 6 months). Any insight into this issue will be very helpful. Hope you can share your valuable views on this subject. Thanks folks.

No Title

I am on H1B visa, my project is compleeting by end of April.
We don\'t have any projects further, so I want to change my HiB status to F1 student visa to maintain status. Is it possible? If so
can i get addmossion without TOEFL and how long it takes to get F1 visa.